Flashlight noob requests some advice :P

progninja

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics :wave:

I really want to start expanding my flashlight collection, atm I only have one Fenix PD30 Q5 which I must say I really like and has never let me down in almost 1 year :). In the last few days I have been searching for a new light, and after reading some reviews and taking my budget into account I am almost decided that I'll get the Olight M21 Warrior SST-50, but I thought that before I actually buy it I felt I needed some input on this subject :p

So, a few questions:

1) Do you think that in terms of output the M21 will out throw and have a significant better spill than my PD30 Q5? I know it will, but enough difference so I can be relatively blown away again :devil:?

2) Do you have any other suggestions besides the M21 in its price and size range with better output?

Thanks a lot!
lovecpf

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the new 4sevens Maelstrom G5? Check out the reviews section for some great reviews.

fireflie

Newly Enlightened
I must say, I haven't got any experience with the m21.
But when I look at the pictures @ CPF..
It might be something to take a look at the RRT-2 from jetbeam
It is one of my more powerfull lights

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, a few questions:

1) Do you think that in terms of output the M21 will out throw and have a significant better spill than my PD30 Q5? I know it will, but enough difference so I can be relatively blown away again :devil:?

2) Do you have any other suggestions besides the M21 in its price and size range with better output?

Thanks a lot!
lovecpf

I don't have a M21 but IIRC the throw is ~6,500 lux and the PD30 ~5,000 so it has more throw but it's not going to be much. The M21 is not really driving the SST-50 very hard but this does improve runtimes.

My buddy has the M20 Ti with the SST50, basically the same output as the M21 and I had a Eagletac P20C2 MKII and a T20C2 MKII that I had just received and I took them to his house to see if the Eagletac's was even close to his M20. My friend and I was both surprised that the Eagletac's appeared brighter and threw further than his Olight.

I'm not trying to talk out of the Olight it's a nice light and I would like to own one but just be sure the output is going to meet your expectations before you order it. I think if you do a search their is a review by selfbuilt with all the output numbers and runtimes.

progninja

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a M21 but IIRC the throw is ~6,500 lux and the PD30 ~5,000 so it has more throw but it's not going to be much. The M21 is not really driving the SST-50 very hard but this does improve runtimes.

My buddy has the M20 Ti with the SST50, basically the same output as the M21 and I had a Eagletac P20C2 MKII and a T20C2 MKII that I had just received and I took them to his house to see if the Eagletac's was even close to his M20. My friend and I was both surprised that the Eagletac's appeared brighter and threw further than his Olight.

I'm not trying to talk out of the Olight it's a nice light and I would like to own one but just be sure the output is going to meet your expectations before you order it. I think if you do a search their is a review by selfbuilt with all the output numbers and runtimes.

Thanks for the input :).
I know that the difference in terms of throw isn't going to be a lot but I believe that in terms of flood the m21 will be much better than my PD30. After all 500 lumens vs. 220 lumens must mean something, am I right? :shrug:

I am trying to find the best light atm that costs less than $130 not being very big in size, and taking a look at the reviews I think that the m21 should be a good choice (once again I don't have many experience with flashlights). Also I don't want a light that is all about pure throw, I prefer a more balanced beam, which I also think that its a good feature of the m21.

Any more suggestions? :naughty:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input :).
I know that the difference in terms of throw isn't going to be a lot but I believe that in terms of flood the m21 will be much better than my PD30. After all 500 lumens vs. 220 lumens must mean something, am I right? :shrug:

I think you're missing the point :D. The Olight M21 SST-50 doesn't make 500 real lumens. Probably somewhere in the range of 300 to 320. Your PD30 is around 200-220 real lumens.

progninja

Newly Enlightened
I think you're missing the point :D. The Olight M21 SST-50 doesn't make 500 real lumens. Probably somewhere in the range of 300 to 320. Your PD30 is around 200-220 real lumens.

Awww that sucks. :thumbsdow. I wanted something much brighter than my PD30 but not very bigger in size, and with a balanced beam with nice spill. Maybe I'm asking for too much, dunno :whistle:.

How about the m30? :devil: I've seen its review by selfbuilt and I also really like it and I might save some extra money to afford that one, if it's worth it. What is your opinion? :).

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awww that sucks. :thumbsdow. I wanted something much brighter than my PD30 but not very bigger in size, and with a balanced beam with nice spill. Maybe I'm asking for too much, dunno :whistle:.

How about the m30? :devil: I've seen its review by selfbuilt and I also really like it and I might save some extra money to afford that one, if it's worth it. What is your opinion? :).

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

The M30 is a nice step up in brightness I think around ~550-600 OTF, I sold mine but was always very impressed with the bright large spill area.