Will we ever see a true end-user-programmable UI?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have about 20 torches now, mostly LED. One of my biggest gripes with all these high-end lights is the UI. Some have a UI that I like, while others don't. Yesterday I ordered a new Maelstrom G5, but I must admit, I am less than thrilled with the UI as it has no 'Turbo' mode on the general use subset.

So, my question is - will we ever see a true end-user-programmable UI? You know, the kind that uses a mini-USB cable which goes from the light to my computer, and then I can select EXACTLY the UI that I want.

Is that asking too much? :confused:

-

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unquestionably there will be programmable UI lights.

They still won't please everyone though - there's still going to hardware interfaces that some prefer - magnetic ring, side switches, tailcap switches, etc.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Have a look at the UI for the Tri-V SPY007 in the Cool-Fall Forum.
If you can find one, it will set you back $2200.
Worth it though. :thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are "programmable" lights like those offered by Jetbeam, Quark Tactical and Lumapower where you select your preferred UI by entering the user-setting mode (and you don't need a computer to do that).

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have considered my Jetbeam Pro I version 3.0 about as close to a truly programmable light as you can get. No it doesn't need a computer to program, but you can program three different settings with any setting from it's low to its high and a multitude of sos, flashing, and strobes. I also consider it no better than a two or three setting SureFire or Fenix. Just like anything else, the more complicated they are, the more that can and does go wrong. While my Jetbeam has been a good light, it looses its programming once in a while, goes into programming mode on it's own once in a while, and sometimes just comes on in its lowest setting. Its always fixable but what a pain sometimes. :scowl:

Bill

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be glad to see this on future lights as well,even better if I can set 2 lots of programs one for day use and the other for evening use.

I could then get rid of my total collection and have just one light.(As if I would :nana:)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have about 20 torches now, mostly LED. One of my biggest gripes with all these high-end lights is the UI. Some have a UI that I like, while others don't. Yesterday I ordered a new Maelstrom G5, but I must admit, I am less than thrilled with the UI as it has no 'Turbo' mode on the general use subset.

So, my question is - will we ever see a true end-user-programmable UI? You know, the kind that uses a mini-USB cable which goes from the light to my computer, and then I can select EXACTLY the UI that I want.

Is that asking too much? :confused:

-

I have the same issue with the G5. I can't imagine what they were thinking of. The quark ui was fine. Just a twist from moonlight to turbo. I hate this one. I love the idea of a programmable ui IF it actually works properly.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I don't want any kind of programmable UI. It's Unnecessary and it complicates something that shouldn't be complated in the first place. Give me 2, 3, or at the most 4 modes of light and I'm happy. As far as I'm concerned, the simpler the better.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable would be nice for a mid size or larger light, but the hardware to do it takes up too much space for a pocket light. 2 or 3 levels is perfect for that.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose someday someone will open a premium priced custom flashlight shop where you can select exactly the features and UI you want. Or they could simply sell the components and let you assemble it yourself.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I don't actually see a use for it personally, I like my Malkoff's UI, one button that turns it on and off, one head to twist for high or low.

However, the topic makes me want to try to build some sort of fancy tailcap with a little embedded computer and a mini-USB port for no good reason except it would be fun..:sssh: They do make cheap, tiny embedded boards nowadays.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Programmable would be nice for a mid size or larger light, but the hardware to do it takes up too much space for a pocket light. 2 or 3 levels is perfect for that.

For my purposes 2 or 3 modes is enough for ANY flashlight but just try to talk manufacturers out of adding blinky modes.

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
For my purposes 2 or 3 modes is enough for ANY flashlight but just try to talk manufacturers out of adding blinky modes.

My sentiment exactly. Three or four simple light settings with out the junk one would never use.

.5 lumen to 2 lumens to 10 lumens, to max of what ever the light would put out. .5 lumens in pitch black is all the light one needs to follow a trail or read in a tent etc, etc,

Or something at least like stated above but I think you get my point. More options you do not need equaly more things that can go wrong with a simple light. I have a MyShondt AEON but the low for me is not low enough. It could use a lower low like .5 or one lumen then the two that it has already. But you can't please everyone can you. I am thinking of that 120p by the company I cannot remember right now.

Daniel

Daniel

SexieWASD

Newly Enlightened
Microcontrollers are small enough, more that durable enough, and many use very tiny amounts of power.

The biggest issue I see is with boot time. You would either need to boot the micro and load the program into memory every time, or deal with parasitic drain. With the right choice of micro the boot time would less than a second, but still a noticeable delay from button press to light being produced. As an alternative it could turn the light on immediately and correct the output after the micro is running, but you would have preflash, or low output at first.

I do think that a micro would be too large for an EDC light, but I have been thinking of attempting to make a light in the form factor of the Ray-o-vac workhorse except with a swivel head, magnetic base, metal body, with a belt clip and using the propeller micro controller.

The form factor would allow more than enough room for the circuit parallel to the batteries, with machined heatsinks on the body serving double duty as grips. Using the propeller would be over kill, but it's low power, and would mean that anyone could program it in a simple language to get whatever they want for a UI. The head being so wide would allow for two or three LEDs, so you could have any combination of spot, flood, RGB, UV, tints. My choice would be the center being a spot style reflector, with two neutral flood beams on the outside edges. An added benefit would be that the mini USB port could provide 5v to charge cell phones / whatever, there might even be enough room for a charging circuit for the batteries themselves, but I would rather charge them outside of the light.

Not quite an EDC pocket light, but it would make a truly awesome work light.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind blinky modes so long as they're "hidden", such as the Quark MiNi (which as far as I'm concerned has the perfect user interface).

HKJ

Flashaholic
The biggest issue I see is with boot time. You would either need to boot the micro and load the program into memory every time, or deal with parasitic drain. With the right choice of micro the boot time would less than a second, but still a noticeable delay from button press to light being produced. As an alternative it could turn the light on immediately and correct the output after the micro is running, but you would have preflash, or low output at first.

No, the type of micro used in flashlights do not need to boot, it needs to wait for the power supply and wait for the clock to get stable. This can easily be done in 0.01 second.

Lights with parasitic drain does not use the drain for keeping data in memory, but because they have to react to the user interface.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Microcontrollers are small enough, more that durable enough, and many use very tiny amounts of power.

I do think that a micro would be too large for an EDC light, but I have been thinking of attempting to make a light in the form factor of the Ray-o-vac workhorse except with a swivel head, magnetic base, metal body, with a belt clip and using the propeller micro controller.

Microcontrollers are not large at all! Take a look at the LPC1102, which is a minuscule ARM micro more than capable of handling flashlight duties. Boot time is typically measured in microseconds if there is no crystal or PLL to stabilize. Even then, it's under 20ms in the worst case.

The main reason lights have parasitic drain is to allow more complex UIs to be used. If the light turned on or off with each press of the button, it would be impossible to implement some features.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
With UI's from light's like the Jetbeam I.B.S and HDS Ra what else so you want to program? You can set those light's up to do just about everything you want.

SexieWASD

Newly Enlightened
No, the type of micro used in flashlights do not need to boot, it needs to wait for the power supply and wait for the clock to get stable. This can easily be done in 0.01 second.

Lights with parasitic drain does not use the drain for keeping data in memory, but because they have to react to the user interface.

If your going to wait for the clock to stabilize, then load the user's program from flash into ram, then load the last saved states, while your checking for user input you are going to be waiting for more than 10ms, and it will be a noticeable delay.

The parasitic drain I mentioned would be from keeping the micro in a sleep state, or even keeping it ready for user input so as to avoid the input delay not from volatile memory, but what is to say that the user wouldn't choose an input scheme that would require an always active state?

@lolzertank
I have a few questions about that micro, besides it being the smallest micro you can find thats not even available yet.

Do you think it could communicate via usb with error checking? I have my doubts about that even with an external clock and that is a big requirement for a user programmable light, without it you would need an interface ic which I believe are about 5mmx5mm in the smallest packages, then there is the usb port which is quite large, and the power regulator and decoupling capacitor for the micro. I think that it could be done on two 20mm round boards. When stacked they would be about 20mm tall including the usb port. It might be able to be done, but it would not be cheap to do it in that form factor.

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
LF2XT-- how could you improve on this UI at all? Why can we get an awesome UI in a AAA size light, but in 18650s we have crap?