Asking for general purpose light suggestions (over 1000lm OTF)

cartmanidis

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am a long time lurker here, and I decided to post because I am really baffled and would like some help regarding a general purpose high powered light (>1000lm OTF).

My current lights are a Fenix P3D-Q5 Premium and a Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra, so I am covered on the EDC front.

Because this summer I will go camping and fishing, I have found that I need a really powerful light that gives at least double the lumens of my D-mini VX Ultra, has some nice throw and spill, and is usable as a "lantern" in order to illuminate a room or boat or camping area. My more detailed requirements are:

• >1000lm OTF
  • Modular would be a huge plus, but I am a total noob so I would need detailed instructions regarding parts (btw where can I find an introduction to the world of lego lights, stuff like hosts, drop-ins etc?)
  • Regulated output and 3 levels would be preferable
  • Fatter is better than really long
  • Reasonably water proof
  • Reasonable throw and useful spill
  • Able to light-up an area using a diffuser or by unscrewing the head
  • No preference between single or multi-led
Thanks for your time, I am really looking forward to hearing your suggestions :)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: First off, any light putting out 1000 lumens is not considered a "general purpose light". You didn't specify your budget but finding a light that puts out 1000lumens is going to be expensive and far between. If you want that much power you need to start looking at HID lights. I would reccomend you take a look at Fenix TK45. It's just been released and has gotten very good reviews and is rated at 760 lumens. Everyone here is going to agreed that is MORE than enough light for virtually any application. Hope this helps

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 2000 lumen light I bought for $50 that lasts about 10 minutes per charge (useless).

If you want that sort of power for any length of time (over 1 hour), you're going to be spending LOTS of money, upwards of at least $400.

As Carrot stated, the SR91, which gives 1500 lumens for about 3 hours and 450 lumens for around 10 hours. This is probably the most quality light you're going to get for less than $400, it's $399.

Alternitavely, you could go the custom route. I'm getting a 3D triple XP-G light made by a very reputable custom light builder that will deliver about 1000 lumens for around 4 hours, cost $250 + postage.

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a Mag build Marshall?

James....
I've got a 2000 lumen light I bought for $50 that lasts about 10 minutes per charge (useless).

If you want that sort of power for any length of time (over 1 hour), you're going to be spending LOTS of money, upwards of at least $400.

As Carrot stated, the SR91, which gives 1500 lumens for about 3 hours and 450 lumens for around 10 hours. This is probably the most quality light you're going to get for less than $400, it's $399.

Alternitavely, you could go the custom route. I'm getting a 3D triple XP-G light made by a very reputable custom light builder that will deliver about 1000 lumens for around 4 hours, cost $250 + postage.

PabloW

Newly Enlightened
+1 for tk45. I have the production model and the output is very impressive. The beam profile is toward the flood end of the spectrum and is very useful in real world situations. I can't think of many situations when more power would be needed.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hello, I am a long time lurker here, and I decided to post because I am really baffled and would like some help regarding a general purpose high powered light (>1000lm OTF).

1000 lumen is not that common in led lights, most of the light advertised for 1000+ lumen are more like 400-800 lumen.
Fenix TK30, TK40 and TK45 are some very good light in that category, but there are others (Like JetBeam and ThruNite). Check the beamshot comparison on my website to see how they compare.

cartmanidis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everybody for your kind advicelovecpf. I am at work now, so that is the most i can post for the time being.