Newbie here: Best Bang for the buck( small LED flashlight)?

Hole Shot Weapon

Newly Enlightened
New here and I am looking for advise on the best bang for my buck for (mini mag) sized LED Flash light. I am and aircraft mechanic and I previously had a steamlight jr. but I lost it. I like the size of it and don't want to go much bigger in physical size. The performance of it was pretty good, but like most people on here I am looking for greener pastures. I like the idea of AA ans AAA's rather than CR 123's but am still open to opionion's. I wouldn't mind something brighter but I don't want something that is really bright with a short run time. I need to find a happy medium.
The stream light jr. wasn't bad IMO and I would buy another, but what do you guys recommend? I wouldn't mind Stepping it up!

Cheers!

P.S. Money isn't an issue as it is essential for my line of work, I want Quality and Performance rather than saving a few bucks.

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
:welcome:

Since you're looking for AA or AAA, I'd suggest:

Quark AA or AA-2 (I have a 123-2T and love it)
Jetbeam Jet 1 Pro (just received it today and am patiently waiting for the dark--the build quality seems nice) or
Zebralight SC-50 (don't own one, but they seem to be well received on CPF)

All of the above lights (except the AA-2) are rated for 14500 Li-ions if that's important to you.

Good luck in your search.

Flint

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your intended use, I would suggest one of the Quark line. The quality of these little lights is great. With 4sevens lights, you will always have the latest emitters. Stick with the AA2 model for high output with long runtimes.

I prefer the UI of the Tactical model with a forward clicky and two output levels (both programmable) - simple and effective!

James....:)

Hole Shot Weapon

Newly Enlightened
Took a look at the four seven's site and their lights seem pretty nice! Are the CR 123 batts that come with thier light rechargeable?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
streamlight Jr. is 2xAA?

Im an A&P also, and work nightshift on 777 and 747. ive been happily using a quark 123-2T R5 for many months, it does the job very well. my max range needed is maybe 60 feet. it has a very wide beam, which makes my inspections alot faster and thorough.

with that said, the quark AA-2 should be good. tactical version preferred, ive never needed the strobe and blinking modes, just a simple high and low is ideal for me.

might i suggest a p60 host, such as a surefire 6p, c2, z2, or a lower budget clone such as the solarforce L2P. then get a nailbender SST-50, or SST-90, or linger special drop-in. this will give you over 500 lumens for up to 10 minutes at a time due to heat. batteries would last about an hour when using 18650 li-ion.

on the job i use my lights about an hour each night. but i carry about 3 lights, quark 123-2 for flood, and as a loaner, my surefire e2dl for throw, and zebralight for hands-free work. so my hour of runtime is split between the 3. in a couple of days, ill have a p60 host, with nailbender SST-90.:devil:

red02

Enlightened
E2L-AA probably the most dependable AA out right now. Really nice beam also.

shark_za

Enlightened
If I was just after a 2xAA light I would get a Fenix LD20 or Quark AA^2 and not look back.

But if you say bang for buck then the title goes to the iTP SA2.
Its around $40 and can hold its own with all the other 2xAA lights out there.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Quark AA or 2AA.You can choose between the standard multi-mode or the two mode tactical depending on your preferences.I personally like the neutral tints but that varies from person to person and with the type of use.With the number of available options the Quark line is hard to beat.The only downside is that alkaline batteries don't provide optimal performance.Alkalines will work but I am loathe to use them in most of my lights because they may leak.If you don't mind purchasing batteries online CR123s open up a wider array of options.

Last edited:

Hole Shot Weapon

Newly Enlightened
streamlight Jr. is 2xAA?

Im an A&P also, and work nightshift on 777 and 747. ive been happily using a quark 123-2T R5 for many months, it does the job very well. my max range needed is maybe 60 feet. it has a very wide beam, which makes my inspections alot faster and thorough.

with that said, the quark AA-2 should be good. tactical version preferred, ive never needed the strobe and blinking modes, just a simple high and low is ideal for me.

might i suggest a p60 host, such as a surefire 6p, c2, z2, or a lower budget clone such as the solarforce L2P. then get a nailbender SST-50, or SST-90, or linger special drop-in. this will give you over 500 lumens for up to 10 minutes at a time due to heat. batteries would last about an hour when using 18650 li-ion.

on the job i use my lights about an hour each night. but i carry about 3 lights, quark 123-2 for flood, and as a loaner, my surefire e2dl for throw, and zebralight for hands-free work. so my hour of runtime is split between the 3. in a couple of days, ill have a p60 host, with nailbender SST-90.:devil:

Yeah, it is AA