Ra Clicky troubleshooting

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Ra clicky 140 secondhand. I tried following the instructions for customizing and now i am completely lost! I tried the factory reset to no avail. I replaced the battery and tried the factory reboot and about 10 seconds later it starts flashing like it is in customizing mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because right now i have really nice light show going down on my kitchen table.

KBobAries

Enlightened
It's hard to determine what exactly is wrong, if anything, because Ras are, as I'm assuming you know, supposed to light up or flash after battery changes, resets, and customizing modes.

My personal experience is that I sometimes mix up the number of clicks and press-holds and instead of entering the light level customizing mode for the 4 presets I enter the option menu customizing mode where one changes settings for the auto-off, locator beacon, etc.

Best advice at the moment is to install a brand new primary or freshly charged RCR123, do the factory reset again, and then post here with more specifics about what the light is doing; lighting dimly/brightly, number of flashes, etc. For the time being, just do the factory reset but do not try to enable customization.

FWIW,

Dan

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you did the factory reset, did you remember to hold the button in until it turned off, after removing and replacing the battery compartment? That was my mistake the first time I tried to calibrate the modes/settings.

Try this:

Turn the light on (any output, it doesn't matter)
Remove the battery compartment. Immediately replace it. The light will light up for ~7 seconds. Within 10 seconds of it turning back off, press and hold the button in. It will then shut off (this takes awhile).

Turn it back on. Do the 20 click PHR. It is now in the customization menu.

Click as you normally would to change the modes. Once you've found the mode you want to change, double click, PHR. Now you can click once to make it brighter, or double click to make it dimmer. Once you've decided which direction to go, continue to slowly click until you've reached the level you want. Now press and hold to set that output in that mode. The light will turn off. Release the button as soon as it turns off. Then turn the light back on.

Toggle around and modify your outputs.

To go to the options menu, triple click PHR. You'll see a long flash. This means you're in the options menu, and are on the first mode, which is the force setting (which turns the light on at the same brightness every time. Disable this if you want it to remember and turn on at the last setting you used). Same thing as before, click once to advance within the options menu, double click to reverse direction. To Deactivate an option (let's say, for example, the Force setting), make sure you are on this setting.

Press and Hold the button. If you see a bright to dim sequence, then the option is disabling, and vice-versa.

To exit the Brightness Menu/Options Menu, go to the options menu (Triple Click PHR). Toggle until you are in the final option (you should see a dim to bright sequence). At this point, Press and Hold; you should see a bright to dim sequence, indicating that the light is exiting the Brightness Menu/Options Menu and saving all your settings.

If you mess up at any point, or just want to start from scratch, do a factory reset and repeat.

Hope this helps!:welcome:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Remember, a click is 1/3 of a second, so you have to do those clicks very fast when doing customization.

Bill

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
Problem is that i have tried all of these things and nothing works. When a fresh battery is inserted it does the customary dim mode for ten seconds or so then it starts a flashing sequence of 8 flashes pause, 4 flashes pause, 2 flashes pause, 2 flashes pause and then it repeats the sequence all over again. It will not allow me to click to any mode at all. Any ideas?

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
Well folks after messing with it till 3am this morning i finally discovered the problem. Apparently i had inadvertently tightened the switch cap all the way down and when i changed the battery it would only do the flashing sequence i mentioned above. I backed the switch cap off about an eighth of a turn and bam! it works as normal now. Note to self: quit messing with it! Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions. --Mike:whistle: