SunwayLED M10R Review. (Beamshots and Impressions)

StickThatClutch

Newly Enlightened
First off I'd like to thank the team at SunwayLED for giving me a chance to play with their new M10R light! I was sent this light as part of their product launch promotion over on CPFmarketplace.

Background

Before I begin, as you can see I'm relatively new here. This is my first light review and as a result, I feel it's prudent to give you a little background about myself in order for you to better get a feel as to my thoughts.

I bought my first LED flashlight in April after stumbling across CPF. Since then I've amassed a modest collection of 6 LED lights. I am an aspiring attorney by trade - but spent the last 10 years or so in the IT field. The reason for me buying a light was I do quite a bit of work on cars in my garage and felt that there had to be something better than my 3D maglight - and since then, it's been fun reading the vast amount of info that is contained on this board.

I've been carrying a light since I bought my JetBeam RRT-0 in April, and since then have swapped my EDC from that to a Maratac AAA and now to a Preon 2 (this is mostly because the Preon has the most natural look blending in with my work attire). In general, I would say my opportunities for using a flashlight in my daily life are really few and far between. I live an a vast swath of planned communities and as a result, there are not many instances when I'm "in the dark." Thus, since April, I'd say I've only put 4 to 5 hours of runtime on my collection of lights - most of this was finding an excuse to play with them.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, please excuse my lack of knowledge to certain subjects. I know that a couple other members have also reviewed this particular light and they have put up great reviews (complete with more technical analysis). My review will come from a neophyte's perspective - but I hope it will add some insight into this interesting product. Furthermore, since one of the lights in my budding collection is JetBeam's RRT-0, which I think is a natural competitor to the Sunway M10R, I will add some thoughts comparing and contrasting the two products.

Introduction to the M10R

SunwayLED M10R is a 1xCR123 multimode light. They give the high rating at 190 lumens, medium at 20 lumens and low at 4 lumens. Stated runtime is 1 hour on high, 32 hours on medium and 70 hours on low (which differs a bit from the outer packaging). There is also a strobe mode.

swmr10.jpg

The light comes in pretty standard cardboard packaging. Within the package comes a lanyard, clip, extra o-rings, a manual and warranty card.

dsc0154a.jpg

The user manual specifies the max voltage as 3.2v. I know in another review Sunway had at first indicated that the light would be compatible with rechargeable lithium-ion cells. In fact, my user manual had the previous high voltage range covered with tipp-ex and 3.2v handwritten in.

As someone that is not setup with RCR123 this is not a big issue for me. With the minimal usage this light is likely to see in my hands, I will be well served by keeping a CR123 primary in there.

Build and Form Factor

My first impressions of the light were that it was very well constructed. The finish was excellent and the overall styling was pleasing to the eye. As my first dedicated 1xCR123 light, I was surprised how much smaller it was than my RRT-0 (which I generally use with the AA extended).

As you can see from the following picture, it is a good bit shorter than the RRT-0.

dsc0263jq.jpg

Some of the length reduction comes in the optic as the LED of the M10R is set in a much shallower reflector than the RRT-0.

Overall, the M10R feels solid. The HA3 finish is smooth and my unit had no imperfections. The light does not feel slippery when in my hand. The forward clicky switch was easy to operate. The diameter of the clicky is a bit small and recessed in the tail cap. The light tailstands without a problem.

The pocket clip is reversible, which is nice if you want to flip it around and clip it to the bill of your baseball cap and go hands free. I much prefer the pocket clip of the M10R as it feels more sturdy than the one on my RRT-0. Also, it allows a deep carry in your pant pocket without much of the light protruding. This is great for me as I prefer not to look like I'm carrying a flashlight.

In general it's a great looking light.

dsc0279u.jpg

dsc0272d.jpg

dsc0287bk.jpg

dsc0275t.jpg

dsc0283.jpg

User Interface/Modes

The M10R is controlled a magnetic selector ring just below the bezel. When I bought my RRT-0, the big thing that drew me to it was the selector ring. I liked the idea of being able to instantly select the output before hitting the switch.

The M10R's selector ring works in a clockwise fashion (with the facing away you), with the low mode at the furthermost left position and the strobe at the furthermost right position. In my use it was at times hard to figure out which mode I was in before turning the light on. The selector ring does not have as positive tactile feedback as the RRT-0. The indents between the modes do not denote that you've switched between output levels. It seems at times if you leave the light where the natural indent is, you are between modes and sometimes the light starts in the mode to the right or left of the indent. This is particularly an issue when wanting to start the light in the highest output, as I've frequently dialed up strobe in this situation.

As for the output levels, the low level seems much lower than the 4 lumen listed output. In fact its quite a bit dimmer than the lowest low on my RRT-0 (which is rated at 1 lumen). The medium mode, on the other hand, is much brighter than its 20 lumen stated output. In fact, switching between medium and high, medium seems just a touch dimmer than high. It is much brighter than the 50 lumen mode on my RRT-0.

Another issue I've seen is the light sometime starts up in low even though the selector ring is at highest output or strobe position. Sometimes this is momentary, other times it stays at low output. My feeling is there is some disconnect from with the magnetic interface.

In my use the modes are a bit far spaced between low and medium. I'm not sure if my unit is a final retail model, and would be interested if these selections make it out into the retail units that will ship soon.

Beamshots

Now as far as the beam goes, the beam is not as tight as the RRT-0. This makes sense as the optic is much shallower and thus the hotspot is much more dispersed. For me, this makes the light much more useful in the situations that I'm likely to use the light. Since I'm generally illuminating objects that are relatively close to me, a more dispersed beam is useful.

The following beamshots show the difference in beam patterns between the two lights. The top corner of the retaining wall is approximately 10 meters from the light. I tried to position the light so the center of the hotspot was the top corner.

The camera settings are as follows: Nikon D90, 35mm AF-S, 2 sec, f/2.8, iso 400, WB is locked.

First the M10R:
dsc0255n.jpg

Here's the RRT-0:
dsc0249pa.jpg

Here are some shots underexposed to show the hotspot better. (Shutter 1/2 sec, other settings the same as above).

M10R:
dsc0256t.jpg

RRT-0:
dsc0250t.jpg

Tint/Output

Both these lights use the same XR-E R2 emitter. As such, the tint is substantially similar as my eyes sees it. I'd reckon from some work I've done with gas discharge lamps that the color temperature is around 5000K.

I've been using a warm white Preon 2 as of late, the color rendering of greens outside is drastically different with the R2. That said, it does not bother me.

The specified output is 190 lumens on high. Compared to the 240 lumen high output of the RRT-0 seems like a fair number. This is plenty bright for me to illuminate things within about 50 feet of me.

Final Thoughts

As the first product from SunwayLED, I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the light. The output is great on high. I'm still blown away at how such small lights can put out so much light.

There are small issues with the selector ring and the light coming on in low mode when a higher mode is dialed up. I suspect this will be fixed when the lights ship.

This light from a beam pattern and form factor perspective suit my uses a bit better than the RRT-0. In the scenarios which I envision needing my carry light (flat tire, checking under the hood, looking for something at the side of the road, etc.) the M10R's wider hotspot and more graduated side spill would be more useful. Of course this gives up the ability to spot things at a distance, but realistically for me this is a fair compromise.

This light is not as versatile from a battery perspective as the RRT-0 (especially given the AA extender of the RRT-0), however, from my perspective use, the fact that I need to have a higher capacity C123 primary with long storage life means this light is will be ready to go if and when I find a situation I need it.

If you've made it this far, I'd like to thank you for indulging me. It's been fun reading everything on this forum and I've learned a lot in my short time here.

Cheers,
Stephen.

dsc0290b.jpg

HIDblue

Enlightened
Good review, great photos, and excellent comparison beamshots to the RRT-0. :thumbsup: :welcome:

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
Quite a good review for a flashlight neophyte.

The M10R is a quality offering from a supposed "new" company. Seeing as how they got so many things right with the fit and finish I would say SunWay is probably a susbsidiary of a larger more established company.

chef4850

Enlightened
Great review!

We all appriciate your time and effort.

I just order one for BJ and can not wait to get it. I am intrigued buy the designa nd overall appearance. Seem well made form your comments and I have read that people are comparine it with the Jetbeam line of lights.

I am a fan of Jetbeam and hope that it is par with their lights.

Chef

The Coach

Enlightened
Nice review Stephen and :welcome:. We'll try not to hold that "aspiring attorney" thing against you. :devil:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Nice write-up, well done. :thumbsup:

I particularly appreciate the comparison to the RRT-0. Good observations and review.

Keep up the good work!

P.S.: Just to clarify jimmy1970's comment - "optic" has a specific meaning here of a focusing lens with no reflector. I understand you meant it in the the general sense of the light's optics/optical system, but the word "optic" has a restricted usage.

Last edited: