Surefire E1L... No Tail?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran one of my E1L's down on its low level to see how long it would last after it fell out of regulation on high and to my surprise, it shut down at a certain point rather than decrease in output... it was putting out a pretty good amount of light, but then it shut off.

If you own an E1L and have run a battery completely down, does yours exhibit this type of behavior.

knightrider

Enlightened
All the TIR SFs I've had drop from high to the low mode and won't give high anymore after batteries reach a certain point. Then they get lower and lower maybe start a minor flicker, or just dim and dim. I have seen this with my E1L, E1B, E2L.

Your situation does sound different than what I've always experienced with them. Bad battery maybe?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1B drops from high to low mode instantly when the battery is low, it does not shut completely off. Maybe a bad battery. Were you using a primary cell or (rechargeable protected rcr123 which should not be used in this light)?

computernut

Enlightened
I took the OP's meaning to be he ran it on high then it dropped to low and he kept running it and it just turned off rather than dim. It's not a direct drive light so I'm thinking that once the boost driver doesn't get enough voltage it just konks out.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding, the OP meant running the E1L on it's low level till the battery is weak and it shuts down by itself. I don't think the OP mentioned about running it down from high level to low.

Anyway, I don't usually run the battery all the way to low as I would still prefer to have the high mode when I needed it.

I am not sure if E1L is capable of accepting Li-Ion rechargeables but if you are running it on protected Li-Ion then that explains why the sudden shutdown. It is the protection circuitry in the battery that is shutting down to prevent further discharge of the battery as running the battery way below voltage will definitely damage a Li-Ion.