any litebox owners out there?

PACKERBACKER

Newly Enlightened
I have been very interested in the Streamlight Litebox for a month or so now but havent broke down and bought one yet. I must precisely plan the duration of time between flashlight purchases so my girlfriend doesnt start to think I have some sick flashlight addiction I cant control. I know there is nothing more attractive in a young womans eye than a man with a taste for expensive flashlights. hubba hubba.

All that aside, I have convinced myself that I could use a good rechargable light for use at work. I have read as much as I could about the Litebox and found out that firefighters are issued the Litebox quite often. That has to say something for its quality. I like the fact that it sits upright and the head can be ajusted to were you want the light to go. The 8 watt bulb lasts 8 hours on a full charge and the 20 watt lasts 3.5 hours. What I really want to know is how is the quality of the beams? How bright is the 8 watt spot and flood? How bright is the 20 watt spot and flood? A ruff estimation of lumens will do. What bulb type do you recommend?

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
PB,

I've used LiteBoxes as a fireman. They are excellent lights; there's nothing I'd rather use on the fireground. They are *very* bright and have an excellent beam. The bulbs are sealed beams, just like a headlight. They are exceptionally rugged and well-built.

The spotlight throws a tight, powerful beam with a bit of spill. The floodlight uses a stippled lens to produce a nice broad flood. I couldn't begin to guess the lumens they produce. I can't recommend a bulb type without knowing your application. We use both in the firefighting business. The spotlights are good for inside burning buildings where the smoke is thick and you need the punch of the spotlight and using a flood would be like using your high beams in the fog. The floodlights are great outside on the fireground where you need area illumination.

You should try to get your hands on one before you buy one. Because they use a lead-acid battery, they are *very* heavy. Be sure you can accept the weight for your application. This is not a light you are going to carry around comfortably for any length of time. The fact that they come with a shoulder strap tells you something.
smile.gif

HTH,

GR

Lightsaber

Newly Enlightened
Packerbacker,

I would recommend the Litebox for applications where you need a lot of light. I have one and am happy with it. It is large and heavy and not easy to tote around. Streamlight rates them with up to 70,000 candlepower. From what I've read this is not always an accurate way of measuring light output. I would like to know how the Litebox compares to some of the Surefire lights such as the M6. Can anyone help ?

Lightsaber