ITP A3 Reliability

mrshish

Newly Enlightened
I was going to pickup a couple Fenix LD01 as gifts when I found out about the ITP A3. Spec wise it seems very close to the Fenix but half the price. I've never heard of ITP but all of my Fenix lights have been rock solid.

So what's the word? Are ITP's a reliable light or should I stick with the Fenix?

Thanks for the help.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I have found my 2 - A3's very reliable for a year.

I have the single mode. Can't speak for the 3-modes.

I recommend you get one .

~

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two iTP A3s plus two iTP A2s plus one iTP A1.

In this price range , I wouldn't consider any other makes.

My A3s are on my two keyrings ... The titanium is on with the car key and the stainless is on with the house keys.

My A2 stainless is always clipped into a jacket and my black A2 is in another jacket.

My A1 is by the bedside though sometimes it gets used as EDC , just for a change.

You might have to take the spring out and stretch it a bit to make it a tighter fit in the tube ... As with other torches they benefit from a good clean and lube before using.

I would recommend them.

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened

***** PLEASE REFER TO POST 15 *******

I am using 1 A3 & 2 A2's. I have another 3 A2's & 1 A3 still in boxes - soon to be tested.
I bought these all at once, I had read so many good things about them. I didn't want any cheap-o stuff, but hey - why spend more if this is just as good as others.

My A3 worked OK from the get go. Both the A2's did not. (jumping modes) Further investigation found they were filthy - from new - internally. Thorough cleaning improved them - some.
Further reading led me to see this is not an uncommon problem - a tip found here on CPF led me to sandpapering the top of the battery tubes. This made a big difference.

After many hours reading, cleaning, sanding, lubing etc - I have an A3 & A2 that work OK, not perfect, but OK..... and an A2 that still causes frustration. It will likely end up land fill, I am a little apprehensive to try the others, and certainly regret the purchases.

This is unfortunate as they have excellent beams & tints. They are fantastic when they actually work properly.

I probably have less patience with this sort of thing than others, and I can't speak for twisty lights from other makers as I haven't used any.

They way things stand, I will not buy any more from iTP and can't recommend them. Despite their fantastic tint, beams and spread of the three modes.

Maybe over time I will learn that I am expecting too much from a twisty, I hope not!

btw, I am probably about to purchase a Nitecore EZ. Seems to me they may have a more reliable twisty.

I have looked for people reporting the same trouble with Fenix lights (the LD01 for eg) and haven't found any. :ironic:

I'd say, get the Fenix - or a Jetbeam (they have a nice looking SS AA light - a bit heavy though)

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have 3 ITP A3s, used all them a lot (one is my EDC currently running a 10440 cell) and have had zero problems with any of them (and my A2 and A1 have also been fault free). I have no hesitation in recomending them to anyone that wants a small AAA twisty light.

joe1512

Enlightened
I have an itp A1 on my keychain for the last 6 months and it has worked great.

I also have given away 2 itp A3s with multimode and they have held up just fine.

The itp is good quality at a low price. I see no reason to pay double for a Fenix since they are practically identical.

vickers214

Enlightened
I had an A3 SS for a short while and i can say that when you removed the head to pop in a new battery the first twist down would not activate the light, after that it was never a problem but i did not own the light very long for another reason Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) on its low and medium setting which gives a strobe effect out of the corner of your eye when you move the light. Even straight on without movement i just did not like the light it gave out on these 2 modes but couldnt put my finger on it till i looked on here and discovered PWM. Some are more sensitive to it than others and it looks like im in the minority, but something to think about Fenix lights now use very high PWM or none at all so its not an issue................or you could give an Eagletac PN20a a try?

dodge_911

Newly Enlightened
I've got 4 A3's, two alu ones on my keychains, and an SS and a titanium, bot on lanyards.
The A3's on the keychains have been dropped numerous times and still work.
I gave some away as xmas presents, and they all still function, but one.
My dad's alu failed after about 3 months, but I got it exchanged under warranty for a new one.
So, out of 12 A3's I know of, that are in use, one dud after one too many drops...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the A1 and A3 and great lights.The A3 is my daytime edc and no probs and I would buy others by the maker.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I have 3 Itp A3 3 mode lights (Titanium, Stainless steel and Aluminum).

The Stainless steel is my current Keychain light and has held up well. Great looking light and really reliable and has not given me any problems.

The Titanium is a shelf queen and the aluminum is still new waiting to be given as a gift.

Overall, great light and I suggest get the Stainless steel version.:thumbsup:

Alistair

Newly Enlightened
After many hours reading, cleaning, sanding, lubing etc - I have an A3 & A2 that work OK, not perfect, but OK..... and an A2 that still causes frustration. It will likely end up land fill, I am a little apprehensive to try the others, and certainly regret the purchases.
Oh dear. I've just ordered $300 worth of these lights fromBattery Junction to take home to S. Africa as presents .
In case I have failures, what lube do you use and where can I buy it? Is there any stuff one should use on contact points for better conductivity and prevent corrosion?

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242414

Link above has info re-lube.

To help them operate properly, for each light:
Remove the spring and stretch the large end to a slightly larger diameter to be a tighter fit in the tube.

WAIT, READ POST #15

Clean the spring, tube & head contacts - carefully - with alcohol.
Sand the end of the tube, I used 200 grit, followed by 600 grit - others have used 400 grit or just 600 grit - dust off.
Lube the threads & o-ring.
If you still have trouble, check the contacts inside the head for anything obvious.
Any lights that don't operate smoothly after that - either throw away or give to someone you don't like :whistle:

I'm sure your failure rate will be low as most people's experience seems to have been good.

They are great lights when they work right - I am very fussy though, I suppose.

Don't forget to write back and let us know how you went. :)

Last edited:

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
I have the ITP A3 and it is in my coin pocket every time I wear jeans or shorts. Great light, and surprisingly handy during daytime digging through dark corners or closets. I did have a problem that's not been reported here - I was too rough twisting it on and over about 30 days completely wore out the o ring. Good thing it came with a spare. I'm more careful now. And I'm buying another for my wife.

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
HOLD THE PHONE... :oops:

I have to take back some of my earlier criticism.

I read about the stretching the spring to be a tighter fit to the sides, and have repeated that advice.
Was going through the rest of my iTP EOS lights today, and realised the inner sides of the battery tube don't conduct! So, I went the other way and stretched the springs a little - gently - longer and a little narrower. Aiming to ensure good contact with the bottom of the tube.
They all work great! (after also cleaning, sanding, lubing)

I went back to my finicky A2 - sure enough, the spring was the problem.

So, my faith is restored :)

Also, it seems to me that the A3 is less prone to problems from the get-go. Seems to have a smoother finish to the battery tube end, and importantly, finer threads with less play in them then the A2.
Both my A3's work like a dream, with very smooth mode change.

Maybe we should have a sticky on the known issues and fixes on these lights?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was too rough twisting it on and over about 30 days completely wore out the o ring. Good thing it came with a spare. I'm more careful now. And I'm buying another for my wife.
You are buying your Wife an O-ring ?

Don't forget to lube it or she won't be able to get it off her finger.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
HOLD THE PHONE... :oops:

I have to take back some of my earlier criticism.

I read about the stretching the spring to be a tighter fit to the sides, and have repeated that advice.
Was going through the rest of my iTP EOS lights today, and realised the inner sides of the battery tube don't conduct! So, I went the other way and stretched the springs a little - gently - longer and a little narrower. Aiming to ensure good contact with the bottom of the tube.
They all work great! (after also cleaning, sanding, lubing)

I went back to my finicky A2 - sure enough, the spring was the problem.

So, my faith is restored :)

Also, it seems to me that the A3 is less prone to problems from the get-go. Seems to have a smoother finish to the battery tube end, and importantly, finer threads with less play in them then the A2.
Both my A3's work like a dream, with very smooth mode change.

Maybe we should have a sticky on the known issues and fixes on these lights?
As well as widening the spring , I bent the end out slightly so that it made a point contact with the bottom of the body tube ... The rest of the spring also gets pushed onto the bottom of the tube , but I'm happier knowing that there is a proper point contact too ... I don't actually know if it improved the situation but I haven't had any problems since ... I've done this to two A3s , two A2s and one A1 ... The A1 was the one with the flickering problem which strangely was worse with an old part-used (out of date) CR123 that I rescued from a camera ... Maybe the battery contacts were dirty on the old battery ... I always rub the ends of the battery on a clean piece of card (from the unprinted inside of a cereal box) ... Not very technical , but it works for me.

I think the iTPs are as good as any other twistie once you have cleaned it properly and lubed it.

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
Ah, that makes sense.
There have also been other people talk about bending the spring wider.

Sounds like you have this down-pat! Has taken me a while to figure it out, actually I think I still am trying to!