Zebralight H50 vs...well, all other Zebralights

JohnTree

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, first time posting here at CPF. I've been lurking for a while, and decided to start asking some questions as I begin building my first "real" set of lights. I did some searches and didn't see this exact question anywhere - but if it has been addressed, please just point me in the right direction...there are so many great posts here that it's hard to know where everything is.

I'm looking at the Zebralight headlamps as one of my next purchases (I just brought home today an Inova 24/7 for my car; and I have a 4Sevens Quark Mini123 for my pocket and a Quark 123 Tactical for my nightstand coming in the mail soon). I'm looking at the Zebralight as a travel & around-the-home light, and the flood-y aspect of the design really appeals to me.

After looking at the Zebralight site and at various reviews & posts, this is what I could figure out: the original headlamp product was the H50, and it had/s a 120 degree flood spread. It came with an anti-glare shield to keep the extreme edge of the pattern out of the user's eyes when working on the headband. Then, starting with the H30 and on every subsequent product, the anti-glare shield was 'built-in' and the flood spread was reduced to 80 degrees.

So if I have it right, only the original H50 has the potential for the 'extreme' width flood pattern. This leads me to my key question: taking into account the advancements that Zebralight has been putting into the later models, which approach do you think is better - having the unit start with the 120 degree potential and letting the user 'stop down' to 80 degrees with the add-on piece [presuming that is how the manual anti-glare shield actually worked], or hard-setting the unit to 80 degrees so that you don't have to futz around with an external piece that has to be set in place, can be lost, etc.?

At the moment, Zebralight is still offering the original H50 with variants, so I'm looking for some thoughts/feedback while I make a choice. Since it seems like they are not going back to the original 120 degree approach on any future model, the H50 may be the one and only option they'll provide - so I'd like to hear the pros & cons while that is still a choice.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for such a great resource.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the one-hand operation of the clicky switch on the H501. I like the 80 degree beam also. 120 degree is too diffused for me. The glare shield thing of the H50 would make the setup too big for me, as I EDC my light (H501) on the belt.

If you can, wait for the H51F/H51.

Last edited:

pobox1475

Enlightened
Hi there, first time posting here at CPF.
:welcome:

My 2 cents = Recently got my first ZL after being bit by the light bug long ago. Opted for the H30w directly from ZL while on clearance. W tint is more of a neutral (I prefer) than warm. 80 degree flood is ideal for most close uses. Keep in mind that wherever you look the middle of the beam will be at that point. Had intended on acquiring the H501w for it's battery versatility (AA alkies, NiMh and 14500 Li-Ions. I actually like the size of the single 123 cell lights better than AA now that I have felt it in hand.

been lurking for a while, and decided to start asking some questions as I begin building my first "real" set of lights.
I still ask questions... :lolsign:

You will get answers to a question or make a selection only to bring on another round. Enjoy your stay and let us know if we can help... lovecpf

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JohnTree :welcome:

I think you have made a very wise choice in getting a Zebralight as your next light. I have many flashlights and nothing gets used as often as my H501 does. It's great for reading, laptop in dark, outdoor activities, task around the house and on and on. It's so small and comfortable I don't even feel it on my head anymore. I never owned any of the 120 degree only the 80 and it has more flood than actually needed so I think they have it dialed in about perfect. It can light up a medium sized room from wall to wall and I need to turn my head to see the edge of the outer spill. If you want the AA model H501 just choose your preferred tint cool or neutral and you should be good to go.

JohnTree

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies - it sounds like the H51f will probably be my best option - I don't have a clock on this, so I can wait for it to be released....maybe. :sweat: Of course, I'll see what the experienced folks think of it first before I send my money - I'm already seeing how this can get really pricey really fast. :broke: Thanks again.

yowzer

Enlightened
I have a 50 and a 501, and like them both, for different uses. The 501 is better as a headlamp. As an area task light that's set down somewhere to illuminate a room, I prefer the 50's wider beam.

jankj

Enlightened
I have H50 (120 degree flood) and H50b (80 degree flood), and very much prefer the latter. I can read comfortably at the lowest setting with the 80 degree beam, but the 120 degree beam is straining my eyes.

The difference between 120 and 80 degrees doesn't sound that great, but the 120 degree flood is spread over a much larger area, so it's intensity (lux) is a lot lower.

By all means, 80 degrees is plenty enough flood for any practical purpose I can think of.

Actually, I have the neutral (warm) H50bw or what they called it, which is another bonus for me and my tint preferences and gives a slightly skewed comparison. I still think my observations are valid.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies - it sounds like the H51f will probably be my best option - I don't have a clock on this, so I can wait for it to be released....maybe. :sweat: Of course, I'll see what the experienced folks think of it first before I send my money - I'm already seeing how this can get really pricey really fast. :broke: Thanks again.

The specs on the H51 look fantastic. The H51F will be based on the H51, so they will have many things in common like the XP-G emitter, the new circuit and the astounding 200lm output from an Eneloop battery. The H51F is still a mystery light at this point. Will it be an all-flood and no throw light like the H501? Will it have an all-flood beam and some throw like the H51?

It's gonna be an exciting light. You have arrived at the right time to buy a ZL headlamp.

Last edited: