Nite Ize Drop in

5Sport

Enlightened
I saw two Nite Ize drop ins for C/D cell lights at a local Frys. One had a larger dome over the led. The packaging didn't differentiate btwn the two, but one was 11.99 and the other was 7.99. Does anyone know the differences? Is one of them an improved version of the first drop in replacement?

I was looking for a cheap upgrade for an old ican mag lite. Worth it?

txgp17

Enlightened
I bought one years ago and was disappointed.

They may have upgraded the emitter since then. At that price, you don't have much to lose.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The large dome is probably the 10mm LED version; if they haven't changed it over time, that particular drop in is rather dim but has amazing runtime, something like 90+ hours in a 2D; not great for an everyday light, but good for an about-the-house emergency light..

LightGiver

Newly Enlightened
Bought one from Fry's before, It was about as dim (maybe dimmer) as the original incandescent it replaced. Runtime is the ONLY reason for it. It was the cheaper one, btw.

If you want a decent Mag LED, Home Depot has the AA Mini + anti roll ring & 3 D Cell Mag combo package which are both using the newer rebel LED's, for $30. I'm pleased with mine so far, it has replaced my original 3d mag incan as a in home light (I like that it doubles as a club...). Compared to my TK12 (XRE q5) on an 18650 it is perceptively dimmer (not by much), but throws noticeably farther.

22hornet

Enlightened
The less expensive is probably the 10mm variant with amazing runtime (90 hours in a 3D) and flat regulation. Output with the more recent models is somewhat like 15 to 20 lumens in my 2C on Nimh cells. A tiny bit brighter than my Surefire L2 or Fenix L2T RB80 on low (both of which are advertised at 15 lumens) Actually not all that bad for most tasks.

The more expensive one should be the "luxeon" dropin which is comparable to the luxeon Maglite dropin and which should give you some 40 lumens (I guess) and with better/flatter regulation than the Maglite dropin.

I use both regularly around the house and quite like them. (There are disadvantages to lights that are too bright.)

Kind regards,

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these and agree that if you are after run time then these animals are great but will disappoint if looking for something bright.

I can not remember which is which but I used one in a 2D Fulton Angle that will easily run constantly for 2 + days, it gives adequate illumination for general tasks. (Making sandwiches in the kitchen at 2 am in the morning when I get home from night shifts)
The other is in a 2D Mag and will run for 1 + days,it has a very blueish but nice tint.
(This animal lives in the house emergency kit box for blackouts etc).

I quite like many of the Niteize products but neither of these animals would be on my list of preferred lights :shakehead

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big dome = long run times but dim
Small dome = not so long run times but brighter

I have these drop-ins and I really like them for what they are: relatively inexpensive incandescent bulb replacements. The big dome drop-ins are roughly the same brightness as the 2-cell incan bulbs that I'm replacing but the run times will be crazy with it. I measured ~150mA draw at the tail cap with mine. The small dome drop-in is slightly dimmer than the 2D MagLED drop-in initially but the MagLED drop-in will drop in brightness after it heats up and be slightly dimmer than this one. I'm guessing it's in the 50 lumen range. Current draw on mine is ~340mA.

I have a pair of Fulton angleheads that have the big dome bulb in the tail cap and the small dome bulb in use. I also have battery adapters for this light to allow me to use 2D, 2C, 2AA, and 2 18650 batteries. Yes, these drop-ins can handle the voltage from 2 Li-Ion cells. Just be careful that you don't over discharge your Li-Ion cells with these as they will run down to about 1V.

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks,

I think that my question was answered, I will try the one with the smaller dome. I like the Mag LED drop in, but they are too expensive online and impossible to find in stores.

Like I said, I just want to replace an existing old mag that I have lying around.

You guys are great, I appreciate all of the feedback.

Chadder

Enlightened
I put one of these in my 5 yr old daughter's pink plastic 2D flashlight and found it running 3 days later under her bed. It is perfect for her. Bright enough for most of her tasks and the run time is amazing!