How To change the Switch in the M1X Tailcap - Detailed procedure

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to change the switch in your M1X tailcap + Re-soldering the Spring:

Thanks to John from J2Led for letting me know about this one:

Cover the whole end of the tailcap with a soft, but thick enough rag (folding it works best.)

bc_146f1f_85ecfe4_oJ.jpg.thumb

I used a painter's rag folded in four.

bd_146f1e_991c984_oJ.jpg.thumb

Grab the end ring with your pliers through the rag. The rag is supposed to absorb the pressure and movement of the pliers to prevent any scratching.

be_146f1d_d89e32_oJ.jpg.thumb

Hold the tailcap directly with your hand underneath the rag while turning either the pliers or the cap itself counter-clockwise. Mine was solidly in place, but I got it on the first try without excessive effort.

bb_146f20_463af_oJ.jpg.thumb

Very simple assembly. I'll still walk you through the re-assembly procedure since I already have the pictures.

I had to get my switch assembly out to re-solder the spring… it shouldn't be in two pieces like this:

c2_146f19_14df886b_oJ.jpg.thumb

I set my iron at 650 degrees Fahrenheit and put a few drops of flux to get the nice shiny, healthy looking solder all around the base onto the contact, rather than just the two point solder that was on it. I also stretched the spring a little while I had it loose.

c0_146f1b_5f6cc952_oJ.jpg.thumb

Now for re-assembling, which is very simple:

b9_146f22_b72d29_oJ.jpg.thumb

Tailcap with the threads down (sorry for the dark pictures, I was trying a different light source)

c3_146f18_45e258b_oJ.jpg.thumb

Insert the switch with the spring downwards – make sure it sits properly

c1_146f1a_4594f93_oJ.jpg.thumb

Insert the plastic spacer

b8_146f23_775f7d9_oJ.jpg.thumb

Insert the boot. You might need a small screwdriver to make sure all the rubber gets under the lip, otherwise you could run into a problem when tightening the ring.

ba_146f21_daf5312_oJ.jpg.thumb

This might be a good time to lube the o-ring. The threads don't really need to be cleaned on this end.

bf_146f1c_44615784_oJ.jpg.thumb

Screw the ring by hand as far as you can while keeping the whole assembly face down, then tighten using the same rag and plier technique as before

c4_146f17_5d4fc5a3_oJ.jpg.thumb

That simple! Not a single scratch!

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
This is great. Have you tried a McClicky or other switches, just curious if you considered a new switch as an option while you had the old one out? Thanks for posting this as mine is a bit flakey and I fear I'll need to go this route soon.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great. Have you tried a McClicky or other switches, just curious if you considered a new switch as an option while you had the old one out? Thanks for posting this as mine is a bit flakey and I fear I'll need to go this route soon.

Haven't thought about that, but now that you mentioned it, I might consider it in the future. Let me know how it works for you if you do go that way.

I believe the switch issue is covered by the warranty, so you should be able to get a replacement for free if you prefer to keep your money.

Fender

Newly Enlightened
I've tried a mcclicky, but it won't just drop right in. It needs a wider base. I am going to try soldering a washer on when I have time to see if that works.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to put a shorter spring in my M1X to fit 3x18350's. I didn't have any hassles replacing the spring without taking it out of the tailcap. Granted it doesn't look as tidy as yours there, but then again I'm not looking at it unless I have to :)

I just realised that my spring was held by a single drop of solder in the middle, rather than 2 spots at the edge like yours. Not that it matters, really.

Ghost600

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much OP!You saved my day!
I was cleaning the tail cap and the spring solder broke for nothing so I will have to put the tail cap apart in order to re solder the spring.

:thumbsup: