What do you feed your M1X?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made some changes to this thread, hoping to get more responses.

I would like to know what do other M1X owners feed their light. I have had some problems when using 18650 cells, as sollows:

I use 2X 18650 batteries in my M1X (V4 from what I gather). At first I got some flat tops because of an order mistake. I used them for a while, using a magnet for spacer and it worked OK except for the problem I'm explaining below.

Now I got some ultrafire 3000mAh (took a chance on that one) and if I shake the light just a little, especially while pointing up, it will flicker, sometimes go off until I shake it some more.

The problem wasn't as bad with the flat tops, but still present. I also noticed that it would flicker when I put 4X CR123 batteries in, but I need to shake it harder for that to happen. If I put 3X CR/RCR123, I need to shake it real bad to see any flickering.

This problem is at its worst is when the light is in low mode, the light might go in programming and that's a big no-no when you're in the wild with weird noises around.

Jetbeam has recommended using longer batteries, but the difference is very small. I tried stretching the spring a little with no luck.

I'd like to know what do you guys feed your M1X and if you've had similar problems.

Last edited:

robe619

Newly Enlightened
Re: Does anyone else have this problem with their M1X?

I've never had the problem and I use the flat top AWs.:shrug:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does anyone else have this problem with their M1X?

I've never had the problem and I use the flat top AWs.:shrug:

If you don't need a button on the front cell, then you have an older version... probably a better one too from what I gathered

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
I have the V4 like you, and a set of the 3000(rated)mAH Ultrafires. It all works great, but I also found the fit to be a little loose. I just streatched the spring to get a nice tight fit. Be careful though because I pulled way too hard on the spring and pulled it out - I soldered it back no problem.

May be the battery compartment is a little on the big side to fit 3x or 4x123 batteries properly (just a guess because the quality of the light seems very good). Also, my other 18650 batteries fit the same.

Darvis

Enlightened
Pila 18500's here when I use it, no issue with flickering. Maybe the switch is bad? I used to use AW18650's with the extender, but that was a bit long, but even then, no issues and that was with the 2600 mah flat tops. FWIW, I did have some programming issues which eventually made me re-think my thrower EDC and have since gone the DBSV3 with an SST-50 route because of this. I would twist from high mode (tightened) to secondary mode (loosened) and would occassionlly end up in programming mode, or discover that the setting had changed somehow; much how you described above... I have since abandoned secondary mode when I do use the light and just consider it a one mode thrower!

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the V4 like you, and a set of the 3000(rated)mAH Ultrafires. It all works great, but I also found the fit to be a little loose. I just streatched the spring to get a nice tight fit. Be careful though because I pulled way too hard on the spring and pulled it out - I soldered it back no problem.

May be the battery compartment is a little on the big side to fit 3x or 4x123 batteries properly (just a guess because the quality of the light seems very good). Also, my other 18650 batteries fit the same.

I had the same problem stretching the spring. I even made a thread explaining how to dismantle the switch and re-solder it back on. I will try to stretch it again... maybe I didn't make it long enough.

I don't have much of a problem with 3/4X CR123. I think my problem has something to do with battery weight/size ratio.

Pila 18500's here when I use it, no issue with flickering. Maybe the switch is bad? I used to use AW18650's with the extender, but that was a bit long, but even then, no issues and that was with the 2600 mah flat tops. FWIW, I did have some programming issues which eventually made me re-think my thrower EDC and have since gone the DBSV3 with an SST-50 route because of this. I would twist from high mode (tightened) to secondary mode (loosened) and would occassionlly end up in programming mode, or discover that the setting had changed somehow; much how you described above... I have since abandoned secondary mode when I do use the light and just consider it a one mode thrower!

I believe my switch is fine, but it sounds like you might have a different build version. Mine can't run flat tops without a spacer.

You should try to do a reset to see if that fixes your programming mode issue - but it could also be due to the fact that when you unscrew the head for low mode, you get more play and the battery contact becomes intermittent at that point.

I normally run either Surefire primaries or batterystation primaries. No problems so far after over a year of use.

Mine works fine too on primaries, but I'm trying to go rechargeable route since I have too many lights to feed. Also, I think they changed a lot of the design about a year ago, so yours might be different and, from what I read, more stable.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to hear more from other users.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V2. I shortened the spring to allow use of 3x18350 with no extender. The full spring was crushing the batteries. I've replaced it with the positive contact spring from a P60 module, and it's still that tight that no amount of shaking will produce a flicker, or a rattle.

Last edited: