Do Flashlights Scare Coyotes?

recDNA

Flashaholic
We've got lots of unwelcome "guests" in my neighborhood. First we were inundated with chipmunks, now it's coyotes. The coyotes are pretty bold and look starving. I can see their ribs in at least 2 cases.

Is it worth pointing a bright flashlight on them to scare them away? How about strobe?

I told my wife to flash him then throw the flashlight at him and scream like a banshee if he doesn't run. I never saw coyotes my life before this year. Now I know of at least 3 different ones I've seen this week. All different sizes. Each one always alone when I see him.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I've managed to shoo away raccoons with my R2 in a CL1H.

I would place myself behind a good solid barrier, though. Just in case.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've managed to shoo away raccoons with my R2 in a CL1H.

I would place myself behind a good solid barrier, though. Just in case.

We don't want to play with them! We're concerned about entering or leaving the house in the dark. Not likely to be anything to hide behind.

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the shotgun. Even that's out of the question, a supersonic .22 caliber air rifle can deliver a pretty good blow to a coyote.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt that those previously mentioned chipmunks are part of the reason the coyotes are present, looking for dinner. Most coyotes I have encountered don't even need to be flashed with a light to avoid me but I am sure it would help.

Be more concerned with a coyote that doesn't start looking for a way to get clear of you when you do light him up....rabies could be involved.

Mdinana

Enlightened
1) No, they probably don't scare coyotes. Search CPF, you'll find lots of threads on how lights don't really scare anyone/anything/anybody/anytime. I mean, yeah, disorient with strobe a little, but are you scared of light?
2) They're probably not "starving." you just don't see a lot of fat coyotes, now do you? They may be hungry since they're in your neighborhodd for the first time.
3) Coyotes are pretty timid. They're in the neighborhood where I grew up, and always take off pretty easily. And if not, they're not too aggressive.
4)sure, shoot them. Of just yell a bit. If you're that scared of a 45lbs 'dog,' carry some pepper spray or a baseball bat.

Worry more about the cougars, bears, other humans. whatever else your neighborhood has.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
How 'bout flood lights in front of your entrances with motion sensors?

Won't do you much good away from the house though.

Axion

Enlightened
My families cats aren't the slightest bit scared of, or even interested in, bright flashlights. I doubt a coyote would feel any differently.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The only predators in the area are fisher cats and now coyotes. Walking down the street one looked right at me and then sauntered into the woods in no hurry at all. I was too surprised to do anything but he didn't seem to be afraid of me at all. He DID look hungry. As far as all coyotes being skinny I have no idea. As I said first I've even seen. The other two times we saw them were from the car as we entered the driveway. They ran from the headlights so I hoped the flashlight might be as effective.

My wife is pretty scared because there have been reports of people bitten by coyotes around here but usually they're trying to prevent the coyote from eating their dog on a leash when attacked. Another case the coyote attacked a child and her grandfather was badly bitten fighting off the coyote. I read that "city" coyotes like ours don't have the fear of people that coyotes in the wilderness do.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree with the lead/copper propelled by gunpowder scenario, but since it's not an option where you live, you may have to resort to other options. While it's probably very unlikely that these Coyotes will harm you, there's always the possibility when you're dealing with a wild animal, and if you happen up on a pack of them they could get brave. There are certain chemicals that could be used to do the job, but you need to make sure it's the Coyotes that get it, and not the neighbors dog. You need to bait the Coyotes with food and slip the substance in the food. Just be responsible.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if lights scare coyotes, but I have moved them away from me on a lot of occasions by shining a bright light on them. I think that they find them unpleasant, especially on a dark night. Just a fact that you are focusing on them may make them back off to some degree. I can't carry a shotgun, as suggested. I take my nightly walks on a trail with quite a few coyotes, but pepper spray or more serious hardware can be kept in a pocket. After a lifetime of being in coyote areas, I have never felt like one of them was going to attack me. But, there is always that chance. Especially if they are rabid or fed by people.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Good idea but too many pets in the neighborhood that get loose. I don't want to poison my neighbor's cat. Eventually I suppose the coyotes will eat all the pets that get out.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that "city" coyotes like ours don't have the fear of people that coyotes in the wilderness do.

Most of the time these "city" Coyotes were wounded or crippled somehow, and can no longer fend for themselves in the wild, so they resort to an easier meal. If the flashlight thing works at running them off, you're still not solving the problem, you're just treating the symptom, so to speak. You need to get rid of the problem. Of course others will come along afterwards, so it will probably be ongoing.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea but too many pets in the neighborhood that get loose. I don't want to poison my neighbor's cat. Eventually I suppose the coyotes will eat all the pets that get out.

Sometimes you have casualties at war..... Nah, I understand you don't want to harm any pets. Plan B- A trap of some type. Are you allowed to have a bang stick where you live? If you could trap them one at a time (again baiting with food of some type would be needed), you could use the bang stick to finish the job.

notsofast

Enlightened
I had one in beam of my DEFT for quite a while until he got to where he headed into the woods. He could have exited into the woods at any time but didn't. The travel distance was about 50yds. He would look my direction periodically and I kept thinking how it must hurt his eyes and ruin his night vision to look at that intense light.

In this case the answer would be no.

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
Coyotes are pretty timid in my neck of the woods. A quiet fart will scare them off here. Never tried a light.