Building a new patrol light

Patrolman951

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I am currently working 6pm to 6am and I am building a new flashlight. I'm gonna use a bored Surefire 9p with 2 18500's. I'm looking for the brightest P60 dropin made for this setup. I want an excellent spot and enough spill to do room clearing. So, could anybody point me in the right direction here and if you give a suggestion, a link on where to purchase would be great.

Thanks so much!

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
check out overready.com

They have the C3 Centurion bored for two 18500's.

You can add a UCL lens, etc.

Triple Cree XP-G LED Regulated 1100 lumen P60 Drop In.....75 minutes run time

Another option would be to buy a host from Overready, and a drop-in from nailbender in the buy/sell/trade forum. I recently purchased a 6P, and SST-50 drop in from nailbender.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
M61 would be good as would a Deerelight XP-G drop-in or a custom Nailbender. There are lots of positive options around here.
I'd focus on what runtime you need and go from there.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to be doing car stops, you want something with a nice tight spot for seeing into the vehicles. An XPG is ok, but you won't get the penetration.

I'm fond of the Malkoff M60 or a DeReelight XRE R2 drop in.

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
If your going to be doing car stops, you want something with a nice tight spot for seeing into the vehicles.

This is an excellent point and confirms that a M61 would be my choice. I would also get feedback from someone who has used the Nailbender drop in's

Noctis

Enlightened
Ok, so I am currently working 6pm to 6am and I am building a new flashlight. I'm gonna use a bored Surefire 9p with 2 18500's. I'm looking for the brightest P60 dropin made for this setup. I want an excellent spot and enough spill to do room clearing. So, could anybody point me in the right direction here and if you give a suggestion, a link on where to purchase would be great.

Thanks so much!
If you want the brightest I would suggest waiting for Moddoo's high power triple with 1400 lumens, and hopefully a multi-mode will be available as well.

Though there's no logical reason why a Malkoff M61 wouldn't fit your needs.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are sst90 p60 drop ins, but you can't bend laws of physics, tiny 26mm drop in wil never have adequate heatsinking for large leds, or tri set up. even if heat was not the issue, that tiny reflector wont be enough to utilize all that large leds can do.
i used r2 and q5 drop ins in my builds, honestly, i cant see much difference between, maybe if i shine them on white wall i would, but in the woods, at night both are good. they kill stock sl20, and maglite 4d.

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 (or 9P) with M61. I haven't seen the M61W screenshots, but the neutral tint is really tempting.

IMHO, I preffer a 1x18650 light with a 18650 backup in my patrol bag. I carry my MD2 on my duty belt.

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
I vote for a M61W.

A super powerful drop-in will ruin any hope of having any night vision once you power it up inside a room with white walls. If the light goes out, or someone knocks it out of your hand, you'll be blind as a bat until your pupils dilate.

The M61W is plenty powerful. I carry a M61 in a 2x18500 Leef body while working as a firefighter. The other night at a wreck, all the cops were running around with their MagChargers shining them here and there.

I powered up the M61, and they all took notice and wanted to know what kind of light I had.