Single D cell Maglite

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
single_d_mag.jpg

single_d_2_d_mag.jpg

There was a post regarding this light some time ago. It was sold on ebay, and someone contacted the seller. He said he would make them on order.

My machine crashed, and I lost all my links.

Does anyone remember that thread?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: One D cell Mag

[ QUOTE ]
Darkcobra said:
Wow, that cools.
With the new D cell adapters, this could be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I had in mind the first time I saw the one D cell Mag.

Thanks lemlux, that's what I was looking for.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or 4 @ 3.7 V 750 mAh AA Li-Ions. I have 4 of these coming via Highlandsun's group buy.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i plan on doing this with a 1w and 3aas eventually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in fact, eventually, i would like a momma, pappa, and baby 1cell light family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

r2

Enlightened

Am I the only one who thinks that is still absurdly long for a 1D flashlight? Mag adds this huge switch mechanism which adds way too much to the length, then the tailcap adds some more wasted space. The worst part is that all their competitors to the same thing, so a decent 2D aluminum light is absolutely enormous compared to a cheap, crappy 2D plastic light (the kind that cost about $2).

Trimming it down to a 1D size leaves a light that is about the size a 2D should be. The extra bulk is fine for the 6D model, but on the smaller lights it really seems like so much of a waste that it's not really worth it (to me at least). I was sad to see that the Blaster follows the same pattern.

Sorry for the rant, but when I saw that picture my mind added a single D cell next to the light and the comparison was too much.

- Russ

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
r2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that is still absurdly long for a 1D flashlight?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I agree.
I wish the Mags had some type of external switch. It seems that maybe the switch mechanisms are long, so that the button would be in the "right" place.

But, it is still a great configuration, and a fairly small light.

The three ideas I have are:
Inretech Super6 or
Inretech Tri-Light or
EverLED
all with Chief_Wiggum's 4 AA-to-D adaptor.

If I end up getting a Tri-Light, I'm going to try to overdrive the luxeons by either lowering the resistance, or bypassing it completely.

I don't really think a Super6 will run well on a 4 AA cells in series, though. If the luxeons are driven at spec, that is almost 2 amps, for the 6 LEDs. Can a NiMH AA put out 2 amps continuously?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, wondering how far a D-Cell can be pushed? Since it is bad to mix batteries, this could be a way to use them up. I am thinking not for portability but for not wasting batteries. I know that many people will say that the cost is to high for the money saved but perhaps it could be saving the environment by getting the most from loose batteries.

1. Find the best circuit for running 1.5 bolt batteries with a 1watt Lux.
2. Get those inserts that allow a single C, AA, and AAA out of a D-cell.
3. Stop mixing batteries and throwing away loose single batteries. What does everyone do when ya buy a pack of 4 batteries for a 3 battery device. Well here ya go.

The AAA brinkman mod showed me that a single 1.5 volt battery could have usable output. Many applications do not need the brightest light around. The big mag reflector and the right circuit could make the the Single cell D light viable. As much as I hate MagLite. I would like to have one. In fact, I would like to have a several light options that could use Single Cell 1.5 volt batteries. And those adapters would allow you to use all sizes of single 1.5 volt batteries.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, John. That's a good idea as well.
A MadMax+ runs on one cell well. Also, doesn't the EverLED run on 1-6 cells?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes....lots of one celled light possibilities. Single D cell candels with the adaptors for the house as night lights and power failure lights and area lights.

A flahlight for the home for when super bright is not needed. Size is a very minor consideration since it is for home use.

A smaller single cell light for the car to use up loose batteries away from home.

Each class of light would be D-Cell with those adapters to use all sizes of commonly available 1.5 volt batteries.
Each class would come in two versions. One version that squezzes the most light practical out for a 1.5 volt and the other version pulls out as many of the amps possible.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened

I've recently exchanged emails with Chris at TNC on this topic. He says that he will make five of these mods for $120 + shipping. This assumes that we supply the basic Mags...

That works out to $24/light + the cost of the base flashlight. Probably getting right up there with Blaster JR territory, but potentially with more flexibility.

I'm considering this, but haven't really made up my mind yet. Getting harder and harder to justify my "need" for another expensive flashlight.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested....might be interested in a pair of them. Now I wonder who could further mod them to to best use a single 1.5 volt battery with a one watt HD Lux

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am interested in two of them. I just emailed him this morning regarding pricing on one or two units.
The older thread I read said that he would do them for $20 each.

It would be good if he would buy the lights locally to work them. It would at least save the shipping one way, and I can't get them any cheaper at a wal-mart or some place, than he can.

Perhaps a group buy is in order?

Elnath

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like it. At least a small one. What he quoted me was $120 for up to five---so two would be $60 / each....

I'd be in for one. So I don't think we would have any problem getting to the five. We can probably talk Chris into picking up the lights locally--that makes alot more sense.

If we had more, maybe we could get the unit price down slightly.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received a reply to my email.

The price is, as stated above, $120 for 5 lights, plus the cost of the lights & shipping.
Doing less than 5 would still cost $120. Each additional light would be $20, so the average price would drop a bit if there were to be a group buy for many of them.

The last time I looked at wal-mart, the were about $16-17?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could have my arm twisted into buying one (black please)... ouch! ouch! That hurts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMHO, the shortened light with a 4-to-D adapter dropped in would be a nice form factor, not exactly pocketable but certainly a nice configuration for tucking into a backpack or toolbox, and it would fit in one's hand nicely. Plus it would offer a relatively big, focusable reflector!

The AA cells offer so much more flexibility, too, than do AAAs... plus more than double the capacity...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Would even do candle mode! And 2x2AA (in other words, parallel AAs to deliver 3V with twice the capacity) works nicely with an EverLED. I'll be posting some neat stuff about that (using a different 4AA host, though) as soon as I stop procrastinating.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

definitely interesting. Hm, I would be interested in one, as for now. So, the price would be $40 for a cut body, shipped to us and they provide the body, correct?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
r2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that is still absurdly long for a 1D flashlight? Sorry for the rant- Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

Rant on, Russ! I'm with you 100%.