Upgrades to the fleet

MikeyT

Newly Enlightened
Well I have been pretty satisfied with my current lineup for a couple years now: Surefire 9P with Z49 clicky on the bedside table, 6P with upgraded lamp in the truck and original E2D defender in my pocket.

They've all worked out great but after browsing around CPF for a while yesterday I decided it was time to make some upgrades.

So. For the 9P I've ordered a KT2 Turbohead, MN61 bulb and A19 extender to build a 4 battery powerhouse along the lines of the M4 for illuminating moose in the yard at night.

For the EDC E2D I've ordered a KX2 dual-stage LED conversion head, which should inrease the usefulness of that light along with extend battery life.

And just to flush out my lineup I went ahead and ordered a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 to throw in my EDC bag.

I`ll put up some pictures when all the pieces arrive. I`m looking forward to testing out the upgrades.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds sweet! I have the same set-up..."M4 Frankenstein"...just that I'm using an MN60...plenty bright, and triple the runtime of the MN61. :welcome: BTW

MikeyT

Newly Enlightened
The turbohead comes with a MN15 lamp, which I may end up using most of the time if I find I'm running through batteries in a hurry, or I may pick up the MN60 you're running later on as a good compromise. I can't wait to try it out.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Good choice on the KT-2, the MN15 that comes with it is a pretty useful (and popular) LA from what I can tell.

Illuminating moose? Cool, where are you at?

The turbohead comes with a MN15 lamp, which I may end up using most of the time if I find I'm running through batteries in a hurry [...]
I take it that you're only interested in primaries and not LiIon rechargeables? I believe that MN15 would be a pretty happy camper on 2x 17500 in your stock 9P (w/ no extenders necessary).

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently purchased a KT2 turbohead for my G3 nitrolon, I'm running the MN15 lamp and I am highly satisfied although I may replace it in the future with a lumens factory and go with a rechargeable setup. The G3 with KT2 is a beautiful looking light IMO, it was actually Angelofwar who convinced me to go with it after posting pictures of the setup for me. Good luck with your upgrades:)

MikeyT

Newly Enlightened
Illuminating moose? Cool, where are you at?

Bragg Creek, Alberta (in the Foothills West of Calgary). I get moose eating my lawn all the time.

This guy made short work of my jack-o-lanterns last year

Busted_2.JPG

I take it that you're only interested in primaries and not LiIon rechargeables? I believe that MN15 would be a pretty happy camper on 2x 17500 in your stock 9P (w/ no extenders necessary).

So far primaries are all I've used. I have no experience figuring out which rechargables will work with which lamps based on voltage, current, etc. I imagine it's something I should look into eventually.