does anyone know of a flashlight maker called "buck light"?

nihraguk

Enlightened
yesterday, i was searching through my cupbard when i found my old 4D maglite. it was my first "real" flashlight when i got it, and whilst recalling the camping/outdoors section of the shopping centre i bought it from i remembered they were selling an american-made light called "buck light" or "buck lite" or something similiar. they looked very similar to underwater kinetics lights, except the bezel rim was translucent. they used D or C cells, and these were installed in two rows, much the same way as the UK lights. i initially wanted to get those as they were on a clearance sale, but went with the maglite cos it looked so much more impressive and it was aluminium
smile.gif

the last time i passed by that shopping centre the section no longer sold these lights. if i'm not wrong, i even remember fox mulder using it in one episode of x-files and at that time it was one of the reasons i wanted it. so...does anyone know about these lights and whether they're still around?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Absolutely Underwater Kinetics with the Buck name on them (even says "mfg by Underwater Kinetics" on the case as well as the included paperwork). I own the 4aa (black) and two of the 2AAA (bright orange) versions (just traded away 3 additional ones, probably a "collectors item" to those who "collect"). The 4AA really throws a nice beam and if it wasn't for my ARC AAA, one of the AAAs would be with my keys/pocket!

nihraguk

Enlightened
alright that solves it
smile.gif

thanks dano and sigman....i'm now thinking of getting a 4cell lite just for the fun of it. should i get the AAA, AA, C or D cell version? i think i'll probably go with either yellow or black.

btw does anyone have beamshots of the UK lights? if i recall correctly the beam was very tight and small and as such, might not be that useful.

also, why did buck want to put its name on the UK lights? was it some promotion? like the surefire and strider one?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Replacement lamp/assembly for an Underwater Kinetics/BuckLight 4AA.

This is from Brightguy.com for $6.50. Do a search for "UK 4AA" on his site, I had no idea there were so many accessories (red/green filters, holsters, etc.) available for this torch! I was thinking about putting it in my "Garage Sale" here (when I get it together), but now I've got to wade through all those accessories and re-evaluate (like I need more "stuff"
wink.gif
).

Gandalf

Enlightened
I had one of the Buck Light 4C versions, and after I parted with it, I was obliged to replace it with the Underwater Kinetics SL4, the current version of this light. It is the same light, except for the bezel, which is now a shock absorbing rubber, rather than the hard translucent plastic of the earlier 4C Buck Lights. I have seen some of the later Buck Lights with the black rubber bezel as well; I expect shortly before Buck stopped marketing the Underwater Kinetics lights.

The Buck Light was indeed used in some early episodes of the X files; it's shape is unmistakable. It's a bit bulky and heavy to carry without an outer coat pocket, but like the 4AA, and my particular favorite, the UK 2L, they are very bright for their size. They have a very bright tight beam which is very well suited to intermediate and some distance use. The 4AA and 2L have a nice round spot, usually surrounded by a ring of light. The SL4 has an oblong beam; a projection of it's larger filament.

For a light of it's power, the 4 C cell SL4 is quite compact, due to it's 2 by 2 arrangement of the 4 batteries. The 4AA is also likely about the most compact light containing 4AA cells, and recently underwent an upgrade to include a switch to replace the rotating bezel to turn it on.

Underwater Kinetics makes some of the toughest lights available; I have one of the old 2L (2 x 123 lithium) Buck lights made by UK that I've carried every day for 8 or 9 years now; the lettering is literally worn off the case, but it still works perfectly. A very tough, bright little light with a 3-4 hour burn time. I'd never carry a $60-$70 SureFire in my pants pocket, and let it get this beat up, but for the $15 or so I paid for this 2L, it far and away the toughest and most reliable flashlight I've ever owned

The SureFire E2 with an MN02 lamp, which I have, is supposed to give a 2 1/2 hour burn time. I prefer the E2 with the MN03, and the 2L when I don't need so much light. SureFire makes excellent lights, but if I had to carry only one, I'd pick the tougher, less expensive, and less expensive to operate, UK 2L. Just my 2 cents.
icon14.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just checked Brightguy.com, he has UK 4AAs at closeout for $14!

(BTW, it uses the same bulb assembly as the 2L...I didn't know that.)

nihraguk

Enlightened
gandalf:

thanks a lot for the short review! i think the UK light is the next on my wish list. i recall the first impression i had when i held the light was that though it was plastic, the material felt more like a sort of hardened rubber that seemed very rugged.

by the way do they have any D cell models? i'm wondering if i should get the 4C or 6C cell version. i'm leaning more towards black though, cos that's my favourite colour
smile.gif

also, do you know why buck was marketing the UK lights under its name?

nihraguk

Enlightened
oh by the way, does anyone know what was the exact model of the UKE/buck light that was used in that particular x-files episode?

i'll most probably buy one tomorrow if i can decide between the SL4 and SL6.