Intelligent (postal) Mail System ???

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just listening to some "right-wing-hate-radio" (The Michael Reagan show with some guest host named Ancarlo or something).

Anyway they were talking about a system under consideration by the U.S. Postal Service which will require presenting your ID to buy a stamp, which will then be coded with your ID, so every piece of mail will be able be tracked back to who sent it, in case there is some anthrax contained or a threat to elected officials written in it.....

HERE IS A WaPo newspaper article on the subject, although it isn't as specific as some of the stuff they said on the radio.

The guys on the radio were mostly upset about it being a huge invasion of privacy and all that kind of stuff, and I see their point.... But what I am concerned about is the cost and inconvenience... (Since I deliver all of my death threats and toxic materials in person, it won't effect me in that way) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

The newspaper article says it will actually save money, but that is a total crock... It will cost many extra billion$$ per year in an already fiscally mismanaged pseudo-public institution.

Just wondering what y'all think about the idea.

Personally I think it is darn silly, an expensive, huge "big brother" system that will not do a thing to make one single "normal" citizen one tiny bit safer from a real terrorist.

Let's try to keep this discussion practical rather than partisanly political though please: The actual source of the idea apparently came from the "left side of the aisle", and some on the right side are apparently supporting it, so if it happoens, both sides will be to blame.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The whole idea is based on the assumption that you get your stmps at the Post Office. It also assumes that you have some sort of ID, which as of yet is not required. I'm not sure what kind of technology we're talking here, and from what I can envision, fraught with lots of possible errors.

Anyone smart enough to put a terror device in an envelope, is smart enought to steal encoded stamps. Hell, they just got my ATM card number and my PIN number...stamps would be easier.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Roy, you have touched on one of the many logic holes in the idea....

As far as the technology, they are saying that they can do it with barcodes, magnetic stripes (like on ATM cards) or even embedded chips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Tomas

Banned
Magnetic stripes and chips are a no-go solution because they can be too easily zapped either on purpose or by accident.

Guess I'll just have to keep borrowing stamps ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had a wallet stolen last year during a 9-11 memorial, and I'm pretty sure I had a pack of stamps in it. Just glad they weren't these "encoded" ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
And any mail coming in from out of the country wouldn't have any of this special coding on it anyway. Unless we decide to just not accept any unencoded mail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honestly, though they would argue the point, this is the government. They "study" a lot of really wacky things. Sometimes wasting millions writing papers about really wacky things. Just cause someone is doing a feasability study doesn't mean that this will ever happen.

I've worked on big computer projects, I know how badly things like this are planned and managed. If they try to do it, it will take 5 years longer than they planned to get the computer side working due to mismanagement and it will still not work right for another 5 and it will cost 3 or 4 million more than budgeted and won't handle the load... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif That is unless they hire me to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Then it'll cost 6 or 8 million more than budgeted due to your choice of server /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

indextop2_020703_02.jpg

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more loaning out stamps, or buying stamps at the local grocery store.
Magnetic strips are pretty easy to damage, bar codes can be altered very easily, smart chips would be very expensive and destroyed by the current sorting machines.

And a picture ID is required in many states. Either a drivers license, or a state issued picture ID. In Virginia for example, it's against the law to be in public without an ID or some sort, either state or federal. There's no national ID (required) yet, but that could be coming. There are already a couple of national ID's though. A passport, and military ID's are federal National ID's, as are Federal LEO credentials in a way.

Tomas

Banned
(Gonna run a stack of those as your new 'puter, Saaby? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Did you see the clip where the Navy just ordered 260 of them for installation on some of it's nuclear subs for "image processing" use? If they installed them on EVERY sub, that's about 4/sub, and if only on the ones I would expect, the density gets even higher per sub. With the Alti-Vec hardware in the CPU, those are really healthy graphics manchines. Great on vector work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a refurbished one of those cheap now, but I'm waiting for the G5 based models with the 1Ghz system bus before I jump in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas, you're in good company as a Mac user here, there are actually quite a few of us on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as using them on Subs, I always thought that Subs were mostly sound oriented since they were in the dark most of the time. It would be very interesting to know more about what they are doing, suppose I'd have to go enlist to find out though...

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just thought Subs tasted good.

Maybe they just went with them because nobody in their right mind would be temped to game on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif