C2 or M2 for malkoff host

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Im endevoring to get a new 2 cell host for a Malkoff drop in. I have narrowed it down to the M2 and C2. The only difference I can see between the two lights is that the M2 has a shock isolation bezel, however I note I have to get a fitting ring to get the Malkoff drop in to work. With the MOVE to LED is it really worth spending the extra money on the M2 and the hastle of having to fit the drop-in?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

carrot

Flashaholic
Unless you prefer the aesthetics of the M2, go for the C2. It's a bit smaller so it's easier to carry, and the C2 bezel offers better thermal transfer than on the M2 since the shock isolation is a thermal insulator.

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Unless you prefer the aesthetics of the M2, go for the C2. It's a bit smaller so it's easier to carry, and the C2 bezel offers better thermal transfer than on the M2 since the shock isolation is a thermal insulator.

+1 - the C2 is a sweet host and quite small. The C2+Malkoff makes for a fantastic light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The other thing you can do is buy the M2 and purchase a C2 bezel on the side for ~$25. Just switch back and forth between the two (incan / LED).

it should also be noted that the M2 bezel is deeper from the shock absorbing mechanics inside. This reduces Lumen output by ~%15, as it blocks the side flood. The center beam intensity remains unchanged however.

The M2 is a more massive feeling light in the hand, and its bezel is significantly thicker walled and more robust all around. The added weight/mass of material is not insignificant.

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
I don't see any reason to have the M2 head with a Malkoff.

Go with the C2.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
M2 makes beam diameter smaller, C2 all the way!!!

Lemme explain. :D

The shock asorbing ring on the M2 causes the Malkoff drop in to sit further behind the window, thus "choking" the beam. This causes a significant portion of the spill beam to be collimated out due to the shock asorbing ring. In the C2, there is no ring, the Malkoff sits closer to the window.

Thus, the M2 actually costs flux, at the expense of being a larger over all light. Its a lose lose for using a Malkoff.

:thumbsup:

PS: Now that i think of it, I am probably completely wrong, Malkoff sells that ring for the M2 flashlight. Maybe that replaces the shock ring. :eek:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Nah that ring just sits atop the module giving it more pressure aganst that foam ring so it maintains the negative contact better.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an M2 from Oveready last night. Why? Because I dont have one I guess. :shrug: So whats a good use for it? How about an incan from Lumans Factory?