ARC LS TSP vs Flatend Tailcap

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Possibly only Peter can answer these questions, but here goes.

1. Are the O-Rings the same size in each of the 2-styles of tailcaps? They appear to be, but I'd prefer confirmation.

2. Is one tailcap any less waterproof than the other? For example, is a flatend non-twisty on an LSL/LSH any more or less waterproof than the clicky on the same light?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ditto to that jackblades said. i compared the O-rings from the twistie and tsp tailcaps, and they are identical. the twistie should be more water-resistant since there's only one area it can fail in, but the action of twisting it to turn it on whilst underwater might compromise the seal if the O ring is damaged or dry.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. I asked because you can feel how much tighter the seal is while screwing the TSP on the bezel as opposed to the flatend one. The flatend one screws on so easily, you almost have to question whether or not an o-ring is really on.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar,

The extra tightness to which you refer above is due to the extra force of the spring! The o-rings contribute just about the same amount of friction to the equation, assuming they are the same. They look like they are. Anyway, you'd be surpised how deep a depth rating you need to go to (on flashlights) in order to really feel it when screwing on or off a contact type head or power pack. My Trek-7 with the two o-rings is rated to something on the order of 500 or 1000 feet or something extreme special ops like that. I can't remember right now. And on that light, yes, you can indeed feel a serious turning resistance. But if an Arc is well lubed the AAA and the P-123 should twist on and off fairly easily once the threads are worn in and still be plenty water tight. Also, the depth rating would include turning on and off, so no worries with the P-123 there.

Status
Not open for further replies.