Miner type light help

caseyj

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to try to build miners type light and would greatly appreciate any help with the design. I have a minners head that is about 3 inches in dia. I have some 25 mm reflectors and 3 will fit into the miner head I have.

I'm thinking about using 3 CREE Xlamp 7090 in series and I want to have a low, medium, and high opition.
As for the power supply, I have no size restrant. I want something that will last around 3-4 hours on high.

I have a spot light that has same CREE set up but with just full power or off. I'm happy with the brightness it produces. It has a 6v 2.5ah battery. I found a 6v 4.5ah for the same price that I will use if it will give more burn time.

So any help picking out a driver and battery supply would be greatly appreciated.

Walterk

Enlightened
I removed the glass and reflector from this one, and replaced it with an aspheric lens. Cree XRE on 3xAA and 67mm aspheric lens.
Used a an aluminium CPU heatsink for cooling.
It is mounted on rods, giving adjustable focus, flood to throw.
Works like a blizz! Or blitz if blizz isnt really meaningfull.
Although it was quick and dirty to experience how aspherics do their job.
walterk-albums-algemeen-picture40136-testbench.jpg

Don't know what your housing looks like though. Post a picture if you can?!

caseyj

Newly Enlightened
Not the type miners light I had in mind but I'm glad you posted the pics. That reminded me of an old light that I saw my grandpa with many years ago. I'm going to see if I can find it.

I have a old version of this light, the headlamp on mine is a little deeper that than this one.
HOTLT-51.jpg

I'm wanting to put a light source like from the Cyclops CYC-9WS Thor-by-Sirius 9-Watt Rechargeable LED Spotlight into the miners headlamp and the battery supply in the box, while being able to adjust to low, medium, and high. Both lights are the same diamater.

41DhO51zJhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I'm thinking about using 3 CREE Xlamp 7090 in series and I want to have a low, medium, and high opition. .

You may want to have some different beans e.g. two on spot and one on flood.

You could do dimming by turning on one, two or three lights.

Also you will have fewer drivers to choose from if you have the three in series. If you have a driver for each you will have many more to choose from.

If you use a 7135-type driver and 3 LiIon cells, then you can use this arrangement https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201392 to drive 3 LEDs in series with only 1 driver.

Last edited: