Why is it acceptable to have a loud clicky in a 'tactical' light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have a bunch of 'tactical' lights. Just got my new Maelstrom G5 in the mail today (probably my 10th 4Sevens purchase). I don't really like the G5, but that's another story.

Anyway, the clicky on the Maelstrom makes a lot of noise. Most of my other clickies seem about the same noise-wise. They simply make too much noise. If I was a LEO or military and I was searching a quiet, deserted building for a bad guy, well, a loud clicky would give away my position wouldn't it?

EDIT - Let's assume for this question, that the bad guy is around the corner and would NOT have seen the illumination of the light. In other words, the bad guy does not see any light, but he hears the click.

For stealth work the Surefire twisty sure seems best. But then again, I am no LEO, nor am I military. So someone please tell me what I'm missing.

Why is it acceptable to have a loud clicky in a 'tactical' light? :confused:

-

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was a LEO or military and I was searching a quiet, deserted building for a bad guy, well, a loud clicky would give away my position wouldn't it?
So would the substantial amount of light coming out of the flashlight, so I'm not sure what your concern is.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
? Wouldn't the beam of light give you away more that the loud click?
Just thinking out loud here. I suppose you could click it on and twist the tail back a turn or so.
The tape switch probably gets used more than the clicky in tactical use.

Why didn't the G5 work out for you? Too much head twisting?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
So would the substantial amount of light coming out of the flashlight, so I'm not sure what your concern is.

What if the bad guy is hiding in a closet, or other small area where the light does not penetrate? But let's assume the bad guy can still hear the clicky. This is a very bad situation.

But I am waiting to be enlightened. :ironic: Hopefully, a LEO or military person will chime in here.

-

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Uhhhhh OK?:ohgeez:
My time in the Army doesn't count so are you waiting for a Ranger to stop in or SWAT team guys?

Last edited:

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Even in a closet, there is a gap at the bottom of the door. Light would still be visible. I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be a real issue. For clearing buildings, I am under the impression that you should use your light sporatically, not walk around with it always on. Most clickies can be used momentarily with a half-push. Also, for guys using AR-style guns, they can use quiet remote pad switches.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Here's my thinking.

My Malkoffs have forward clickies with momentary activation. The clicky is relatively loud, but activating the light momentarily makes no sound at all.

If you're going to leave your light on, you're either not in imminent danger or (if you're in a potentially dangerous situation) you're incredibly stupid.

If you're in a hot situation, you'll want to light momentarily. In which case activation will be quiet anyway.

But maybe I'm the idiot. All I've ever done is a stint in the coast guard, swabbing the decks and measuring cod.:duh2:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it safe to assume the bad guy is likely to see the light, and although he may not, by switching the flashlight on you are prepared to give away your position? If I was concerned about giving my position away I certainly wouldn't be swtiching a flashlight on at all, noisy clicky or not.

etherealshade

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I'm not a LEO, nor in the military, but I think a clicky tailcap could be tactically acceptable. I think it depends on the level of stealth and danger you run in to with your line of work. That being said, I don't think I would want one if I was in a life threatening situation. There is far less to go wrong with a twisty plus momentary tailcap than a clicky, and I know that's where I'd put my money if my life was on the line.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to only have two HDS/Ra Clicky lights then we had a new baby and my wife started using the crap out of my high CRI on the low setting while feeding at night. So being a flashaholic I figured I'd buy my wife a flashlight "for her" with a real low setting. A couple days later I "she" had a new Quark 123. She used it for about a week until I asked her what she thought of it. First thing out of her mouth was that the click was too loud! So I sent the Quark back...."I didn't really like it anyway!" and bought another Ra. High CRI is hers now and my new one is being upfitted with a warm XPG LED! :devil: So in answer to your question, I don't know why the clicky switches in tactical lights are so loud? But they aren't loud in a HDS/Ra Clicky and my wife sure the hell noticed the difference!

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
Here's my thinking.

My Malkoffs have forward clickies with momentary activation. The clicky is relatively loud, but activating the light momentarily makes no sound at all.

If you're going to leave your light on, you're either not in imminent danger or (if you're in a potentially dangerous situation) you're incredibly stupid.

If you're in a hot situation, you'll want to light momentarily. In which case activation will be quiet anyway.

But maybe I'm the idiot. All I've ever done is a stint in the coast guard, swabbing the decks and measuring cod.:duh2:

I agree but then again I am also an idiot lol serisouly, momentary would be the route I would go IF I HAD TO BE SILENT. Good post though.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't like a loud clicky in any light. After experiencing the quiet ones an old loud clicky seems almost primitive.

Geoff

Walterk

Enlightened
Because IMO for the majority of people life is about 'looks' , not ergonomics and quality ... At the same time, the little things that matter and make a difference, are only noticed by a few. On top of that, keeping it strictly to Quality, makes life un-satisfactorily and un-affordable. :sssh:

All has its price. My best buy so far in lighting is my 5 Usd 3xAAA flood-to-throw 25mm aspheric.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, you holding it in your hand and clicking, the sound/vibration will travel through your bones. How loud is it when someone else clicks it?
And how far will that sound travel.
You're not popping open the tab on a beer.

Darwinsdead

Newly Enlightened
USMC Infantry...

The "clicking" of the light is not that loud compared to a team moving through a building with anywhere from 35-60+ lbs. of gear on.

As mentioned above though it is not a smart move to have a constant stream of light coming from your position...momentary lighting serves several purposes:

1. It illuminates target and once identified light can be removed.
2. It doesn't create a constant path of light leading to the source (if moving)
3. A momentary light also does not alter night vision as much as a steady beam would. Another technique is to close one eye while the light is flashed to preserve the night vision in that eye.
4. Momentary on most lights does not make any noise...

my 2 cents...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an issue. Everything makes noise: keys, change in the pocket, duty belt, shoes, radio (even with no volume, it may "click" or make other random noises), uniform material, etc.

Irregardless, the whole notion of a "Stealthy" building search is somewhat flawed. I'm, more of the mindset to turn the lights on and then search. But, that's another topic beyond CPF.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
This MUCH less of an issue than you would think from watching TV and movies... In almost all cases the bad guy knows you are there anyways and is hoping you go away. If he is ambushing you then he also knows you are coming and can see the light too and hopefully your tactics can maximize your ability to respond. This includes the correct use of white light.

Ambient noise pretty much covers most of the noise anyways.

Dennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.