Quad AA lights?

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to keep all my lights and gadgets running on AA batteries and I am in the market for a more powerful light. I have tried searching here without much luck so I thought I'd post up this quest.

I currently have Quark Mini, Fenix L1T, NDI, and a Quark turbo all in AA.

What I am after is a MUCH more powerful AA light. Say 400+ lumens.

I have seen the fenix TK40 and TK45 but I don't care for their size, style, UI, or 8 cells.

I see that Sunwayled is coming out with a M40A. Says 500 lumens. Any experience with other Sunwayled lights, those out the front lumens or emitter lumens?

What else is there in the way of a high powered AA light that I should consider?

Thanks.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far all of the feedback on the Sunwayled lights has been very positive.

I haven't yet held one in my hand, but I'm looking forward to the day.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
No there's not a lot of options out there in a 4+ AA format.

You will learn that most flashaholics on this forum would much rather li-ion powered lights for high output, and those that want to stick to ni-mh and have high output will suffer the size without complaint.

Li-ion batteries contain a LOT of power for their size and as such you can have a light shorter than a 2AA light, slightly wider diameter, but 2+ times the lumen output due to the voltage and current that li-ion delivers.

If you do want high performance in a small package, you only have one choice and AA isn't it, not yet at least. Given time and the technological progression of LED tech, I'd be fairly certain that within a few short years we will have 400+ lumens from the 2AA format. Though single li-ion lights by then will be pumping out twice as much light, the same as they do now compared to AA.

If you truly do want to stay within the AA format but with high performance, get yourself a 14500 compatible light and get some AW 14500's and a charger. You will have the best of both worlds then.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deerlight javelin 3xAA

or a 'stubby mag' with a 4xAA - 1D adapter.

Last edited:

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
3xaa dereelight javelin. P60 dropins very customizable. +1 ITP a6. Have 2 javelins 1 a6 different animals. A6 is for investigating noises in the yard. 3.75 acre. Javelin with xre checking sandpit across the road. Javelin with xpg somewhere in between.

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I am pretty tempted to add a 18650 light and get some 14500's for my lights.

I imagine I will break down and get some Li-ion cells.

:devil:

nuphoria

Newly Enlightened
I just broke out of AA lights into Li-on ones and don't regret it one bit!

If you want a smaller pocketable one you might look at CR123 lights.... and an 18650 for the bigger bang. Apparently f you're not sure which to go for iyou need to get both - or that's what everyone around here says :whistle:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Does a 2D maglite running a 6AA to 2D battery adapter with a TLE-300M-EX qualify?:) Not exactly the size you wanted but it does put out 500-600 lumens OTF.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I am pretty tempted to add a 18650 light and get some 14500's for my lights.

I imagine I will break down and get some Li-ion cells.

:devil:

i did the same, but am thinking about going back, nothing beats the simplicity of 1 battery format. AA (1 box 1 charger, lots of batteries)

lots of GREAT lights run on AAs