Novatac vs. HDS RA

Darwinsdead

Newly Enlightened
This might be considered blasphemous to some (since apparently these companies were one in the same at one point) but what are your thoughts?

RA is nice with all of the UI options and the 170 output but very pricey. Availability of a remote switch is also another perk of Novatac. The 250 "backdoor" opens up the Novatacs for almost the same customization options as the HDSs.

With a hacked Novatac can the different output levels be accessed directly or must you stair step through them?

any other thoughts about these two lights?

Thank you in advance.

DarwinsDead,

Contact customer support about a remote switch for a HDS Systems (Ra) flashlight.

Here is a quick comparison of the two different brands:

* HDS Systems: constant power electronics, flat regulation, stable light levels. Novatac: constant current electronics, many comments about flickering on the low settings.

* HDS Systems: armored and padded stainless steel bezel fully protects scratch resistant ultraclear glass lens without fear of breaking, sapphire optional. Novatac: stainless steel insert bezel, scratch-prone plastic lens.

* HDS Systems: smooth battery case interior - no battery damage when dropped, unique dampened dual spring contact system that prevents damage to either end of the battery and maintains electrical contact even with severe impacts, attached well protected signal wire. Novatac: spring-lined battery compartment can damage battery in impact, spring signal wire has many signal failure modes and can fall out, (older design: ) dimpled plate positive contact, conical spring negative, rubber spring negative generates high forces - roughly 20 pounds pressure, battery can still move off positive contact and cause reset.

* HDS Systems: lightly loaded heavy duty threads - no significant thread wear. Novatac: (older design: ) heavily loaded thin threads - thread failure around 200 battery changes.

* HDS Systems: sealed switch with gold plated contacts for higher reliability. Novatac: dome switch on circuit board, not sealed.

* HDS Systems: runtime on High setting: 1.25 hours typical. Novatac: runtime on High setting: 30 minutes.

* HDS Systems: many output options including IR, 100, 120, 140 and 170 lumens, high CRI, different beam patterns. Novatac: 85 and 120 lumens, one beam pattern.

* HDS Systems: fully automatic rechargeable battery detection and protection. Novatac: manual rechargeable battery detection - Battery Detect Reset.

* HDS Systems: numerous improvements to the user interface, both the Option and Brightness menus work the same so less to learn, all lights can be customized. Novatac: Option/brightness menus work differently, P models customization on, E and T model customization off - requires 250 click back door.

* HDS Systems: no retaining rings to come loose and cause bad connections. Novatac: retain rings can come loose and cause bad connection, company video on how to use ballpoint pen to retighten.

There are more items, but you probably get the idea.

Henry.

Last edited:

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
To answer your question, I have both and prefer the HDS System EDC. It is slightly longer, it feels thinner (I think it has a slightly smaller circumference), it is brighter and more efficient, it feels more solid, it is better designed (an updated design), and the UI is better (the HDS System EDC can register very fast clicks, whereas when clicking the novatac each click must be more deliberate). That's my experience...

Here are some similar threads:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/262251
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254864
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199851
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228495
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/222204
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205186
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213627
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238304
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255749

Lumenz

Enlightened
I have a Novatac EDC 120P and three HDS Clickys in various configurations (140W, 170N and High CRI). There is nothing wrong with my Novatac light (serial number 10555) but I think the HDS lights are made to a higher standard.

The Clickys are slightly longer than the Novatac lights so they fit my big hands better. Plus, I like the fact that the HDS lights are made in the USA vs. the Novatacs which are made overseas. I have heard of people having problems with certain generations of their Novatacs. If you can get one of the original Novatacs, you might find a good one but I recommend you stick with the HDS lights so you don't have to worry about getting a good one. They are all good.

carrot

Flashaholic
I cannot recommend the newer overseas-made Novatacs thanks to the problems experienced by myself and others here.

You should go for the HDS. As noted above, they offer significant improvements.

Darwinsdead

Newly Enlightened
Sorry mods didn't realize there were so many other threads like this one :oops:

WOW! thanks for the links Jeff!
Looks like RA is in a different class despite so many similarities...

anyone know about remote switch compatibility between Novatac and RA?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Another place that the Ra/HDS wins over the Novatacs is the stability of the extreme low settings, seen as a lack of flickering which my 120P was so prone to.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
DarwinsDead,

Contact customer support about a remote switch for a HDS Systems (Ra) flashlight.

* HDS Systems: constant power electronics, flat regulation, stable light levels. Novatac: constant current electronics, many comments about flickering on the low settings.

* HDS Systems: armored and padded stainless steel bezel fully protects scratch resistant ultraclear glass lens without fear of breaking, sapphire optional. Novatac: stainless steel insert bezel, scratch-prone plastic lens.

* HDS Systems: smooth battery case interior - no battery damage when dropped, unique dampened dual spring contact system that prevents damage to either end of the battery and maintains electrical contact even with severe impacts, attached well protected signal wire. Novatac: spring-lined battery compartment can damage battery in impact, spring signal wire has many signal failure modes and can fall out, (older design: ) dimpled plate positive contact, conical spring negative, rubber spring negative generates high forces - roughly 20 pounds pressure, battery can still move off positive contact and cause reset.

* HDS Systems: lightly loaded heavy duty threads - no significant thread wear. Novatac: (older design: ) heavily loaded thin threads - thread failure around 200 battery changes.

* HDS Systems: sealed switch with gold plated contacts for higher reliability. Novatac: dome switch on circuit board, not sealed.

* HDS Systems: runtime on High setting: 1.25 hours typical. Novatac: runtime on High setting: 30 minutes.

* HDS Systems: many output options including IR, 100, 120, 140 and 170 lumens, high CRI, different beam patterns. Novatac: 85 and 120 lumens, one beam pattern.

* HDS Systems: fully automatic rechargeable battery detection and protection. Novatac: manual rechargeable battery detection - Battery Detect Reset.

* HDS Systems: numerous improvements to the user interface, both the Option and Brightness menus work the same so less to learn, all lights can be customized. Novatac: Option/brightness menus work differently, P models customization on, E and T model customization off - requires 250 click back door.

* HDS Systems: no retaining rings to come loose and cause bad connections. Novatac: retain rings can come loose and cause bad connection, company video on how to use ballpoint pen to retighten.

Henry.

Darwinsdead

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Henry! Awesome summary. I'll refine opening post in the morning. I'm actually just on my phone for a quick forum read before bed.

harton

Newly Enlightened
DarwinsDead,

Henry.

thanks,just info... Mr.Henry