Help! what LED to get???

Hessy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guy's and girls. im having a bit of trouble deciding on my first real torch or flashlight (depending on where your from).
i would like quite a powerful/bright light, if i need to light up the end of my street i would like to have the power available. but dont want a big light. i will be using it for various things such as hunting, all sorts on the farm and somethings at work (im a firefighter, but dont really need it to be intrinsically safe). i would like a couple of different light levels but dont need too many.
there are a few im looking at. -Olight M21
-Fenix tk11
-Jet III M
Any sugestions would be much appreciated, i would like to keep it under $170.
Thanks for your input guys

PerttiK

Enlightened
If you want to light up the end of your street, remember that XPG R5 isn't all that good for throw.
XPE R2 works much better for throw, but for close up work has rings in the beam especially with smooth reflector.

joe1512

Enlightened
"big light" is kind of subjective and limiting.

A Fenix TK40 is a nice combo of throw and flood, uses 8xAA batteries, but its only like 8 inches long. It is not all that big, much smaller than a 3D maglite.

If I were you, I would want a light that is capable of putting out a lot of light, just in case you need it. It also will have good runtime.

The itp A6 Polestar is nice too and 72 bucks, but is not that good for Throw. Still, you can certainly see down the street easily enough with it.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would second the surefire E2DL. my favorite 2xcr123 stock light.

its thinner than the lights you listed. throws just as well. if not better, with a bigger hotspot. spill will not be as bright but still very usable. the feel and knuring of this light is fantastic. very comfortable in the hand, and better anodizing than the 3 lights you mentions. interface is a simple high/low with the clicky.

i never handled the fenix tk11. but do own the jet M III, and did own a olight m20. both also very nice, but the e2dl is superior.

Hessy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help! what LED to get? more to consider!

hey guys thanks for the suggestions. i have done some more reaserch and found a couple more flashlights to consider. i would like something with a fair bit of throw and usable spill. let me know what you think about the following lights.
-Dereelight DBS V3 R2
-Jetbeam raptor RRT2 or RRT1
-Thrunite Catapult
-Eagle tac T20C2
-Spear Raidfire
i know i may have a couple conflicting lights here, pretty new to the led light sceen.
Thanks again for the input

PabloW

Newly Enlightened
I have the tk11 r2 and it has impressive throw for such a small light. I can EASILY light up my shed while standing on my porch, which I would guess to be about 50 yards away. I have no experience with the other lights mentioned, but I would definitely reccomend the tk11. It also has two modes which is a plus. I've had it for about 6 months with no problems.

If you don't mind a bigger light, the tk45 could light up your entire street!

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of the continuing performance improvements new emitters offer, there's a natural tendency to search for that one light that can do it all. We're probably not really there yet. Most CPF'ers end up with tons of lights with different features and for different purposes. Browse around the forum and look for ideas that appeal to you. Within your budget you should be able to find a combination of two or three lights that, together, will do most everything you want.

And Welcome to CPF!