Good all-round flashlight ?

gadgetnut

Enlightened
I am looking to buy a new flashlight for camping and bedside use (powerfailures). I am a sucker for ultra-bright, powerful lights, but I also want one that's durable and won't go through $20 in batteries every week. I'd like to keep the price of the flashlight down to $40 or less. In that price range, I've narrowed it down to three candidates:

Brinkmann Rebel AA LED

Brinkmann Legend LX

Inova X5

What are you oppinions (good or bad) on these three?
-Thanks

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
The Legend LX won't work because it has short runtime, expensive batteries, and is probably too bright for your uses.

It looks like you should get an Arc AAA. It's bright enough for those uses, durable, runs for 5 hours in regulation, uses cheap batteries, and costs about $25.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I would not recommend the Innova, as it's not nearly bright enough for anything but dark conditions, at least not for me.

The Arc AAA would be my recommendation also. Maybe even the Arc AAA Premium. It would keep you under the $40 mark, it's ultra-portable, and it provides better light than an Innova in my opinion.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Hmmm...that's a possibility too. I know ARC has a huge following of satisfied customers. To be honest though, the ARC AAA is almost too small. I'm sure it's a great light, but I think I would prefer one that has a little more to hold in your hand. I am really interested in the Inove X5. It's a good size (not too big, not too small), it uses LED which I like for dependability, and because it's LED, it should'nt eat the expensive lithium batteries very fast. What are your thoughts on the X5?

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
I would not recommend the Innova, as it's not nearly bright enough for anything but dark conditions, at least not for me.

The Arc AAA would be my recommendation also. Maybe even the Arc AAA Premium. It would keep you under the $40 mark, it's ultra-portable, and it provides better light than an Innova in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, that brings up an interesting question. Please excuse my ignorance, but how can a light that uses one small LED be brighter than one that uses 5? From what I've read, Inova supposedly uses good quality LED's. I'm confused.

JJHitt

Enlightened
If lithium batteries are not totally out of the question, I'd suggest the Streamlight TT-2L: it's as bright as the Brinkman LX on the Xenon bulb, but gives the advantage of long run time on the three LEDs.

I like it enough that it replaced my Surefire G2.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Look at the Twin Task series by Streamlight...all have multiple light output. The TT-3C runs on 3 "C" cells and has 3 LED, 6 LED,or Xenon and cost around $30.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could try getting a second hand factory second arc LS...you might be able to get it under the $40 point, and its the best multi-purpose light i have. add to that its current regulation, ruggedness and water-resistance and you have one of the most versatile lights available at the moment. it eats a CR123a battery every two hours if used on constant on, and longer if used intermittantly. sorry if i sound a bit fanatical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Brinkmann Rebel led(2aa-$15 at Wal-Mart) as my bedside light and it has done well for it's purpose. im a little attached to it since it was my first Led light. It actually can be too bright in pitch dark(so my wife says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) if you're not careful where you are pointing it. To help this i removed the optic and top head piece for a smoother, wider, and not so intense beam.

<thinking>I wonder if my wife would let me use my Blaster VI as my bedside light??????<thinking> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadgetnut said:
Thanks guys. I'll be back after I do some reading on the Streamlight TT's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be very suprised and happy(i think) with just the 1L TT from Streamlight. I have the Cabela's 1L Xenon/LED(which is basically the same thing) and it's pretty awesome! It sure does seem to put my Surefire E1e to shame when it's in Xenon mode.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5T is an excellent light. It uses 2 CR123A Lithium, which are expensive if you buy them locally (brick and mortar store). This is offset by its 20 hour runtime, 8-10 of which are in regulation, followed by the rest in diminishing brightness. It is a flood, and very bright for 5 Nichia LEDs.

The Brinkmann Rebel (2AA) is very nice for what it is. Many people on here tend to jeer it for its beam characteristics. Of the Rebel type (focused LED), the Princeton Tec Impact (4AA) is much better. It is brighter, uses 4AAs, and has a 150 hour runtime. The Rebel can use NiMH, Alkaline, or Lithium AAs. The Impact, unfortunately cannot. This is offset by the runtime. The Rebel has a much shorter runtime that the Impact.

Since you find the Arc AAA a bit too small, may I suggest the CMG Infinity Ultra?? It is as bright as the Arc AAA, and uses a single AA. It can use NiMH, Alkaline, and Lithium AA. There is no runtime advantage with Lithium AA, but, for Cold Climate use (deep winter and/or above permanent snow line), this is ideal. The Ultra comes with a neck lanyard, and a 'pocket' clip. The clip can be used to clip it to the brim of a ballcap for use as a headlamp, or you can use something like a Nite Ize headband.

You might also consider either the Lightwave 2000 or 2100: 4 LEDs and 3 alkaline AAs. Excellent runtime. The 2000 uses a twist head, while the 2100 has a push button switch.

The LX will eat you alive in battery costs, if you use it alot. I have one, and I only used to see if power lines were down, one night last winter. The only LED light the rivals (even beter than), the LX, is the Surefire L4. Unfortunately this is way out of stated price budget (around $140).

Do not expect LED lights to throw as far as incandescants with good reflectors. The exception is something like the Everled installed in a C or D Mag-Lite.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Look at the Twin Task series by Streamlight...all have wultiple light output. The TT-3C runs on 3 "C" cells and has 3 LED, 6 LED,or Xenon and cost around $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the above statement. I own a TT-3C and for the quality and the variety of uses you cannot get a better deal out there, IMHO!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My daughter's comment upon seeing the TT-3C was, "That thing looks like a weapon!" I think you could use the knirling as a file!

Brody

Newly Enlightened
For a good flashlight with a long runtime, I like my streamlight 4AA led flashlight. It has 7 led's and lasts a very long time on a set of batteries (They advertise 155 hours, but I like to change batteries after about 90-100 hours on mine)

RY3

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadgetnut said:
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, that brings up an interesting question. Please excuse my ignorance, but how can a light that uses one small LED be brighter than one that uses 5? From what I've read, Inova supposedly uses good quality LED's. I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can't. I think E2E4ME was confused with other light.

Don't people visit those review web sites any more?? eg Brock's LED Flashlight Page

gadgetnut

Enlightened
WOW! That Streamlight 3C TwinTask is a NICE light! I love the idea of having both LED and Xenon together in one light. The price is right too. How have the switches been for you guys as far as dependability? Also, can they be found at any of the local stores (Wal-Mart, K-Mart..etc), or do I need to order on-line?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
A popular site to inquire about the TT-3c is www.Brightguy.com, they go for $29 and some change. This is where I bought mine at and they have excellent service. I am not aware of either retail giant e.g. K-Mart of Walmart sell Streamlight Products!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If it has any drawback at all (SL 3C TT) it is that it switches like:

"click" = 3leds
"click" = 6leds
"click" = xenon
"click" = off

On the other hand my SL 1L TT switches:

"click" = LED
"click" = off
"click" = Xenon
"click" = off

Which I myself find to be a superior switching arrangement.

If you can get past that, I HIGHLY recommend the SL 3C TT!!!

And I TRIPLE the recoomendation for www.brightguy.com

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would be best served a one of the 4-AA battery flashlights, Streamlight's 7 -led job or the Stealthlight. They use common batteries, a slim and fit in a back pocket, are easy to hold 6-7 inches in length, waterproof.

About the Arc AAA,

Maybe I've gotten a bad light. Mine puts out about the same amount of light as my Photon II. The spread is better on the Arc, but I have a much brighter hotspot on the Photon. Certainly they are well made, but heck I buy a light for it's light! What gives here? I was kinda disappointed, was I expecting too much?

GregR