Anyone have a Tektite Expedition Star?...anyone?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I haven't done any runtime tests on it, but I do have a page about it right here if you're interested.
The literature that came with my test sample indicates the Expedition Star would burn brightly for about 15 hours, with many more hours following that at reduced brightness.

The sample I was sent for testing emits a pure snow-white light, with none of that "rotten cat urine green" color sometimes found in other Luxeon Star LED flashlights.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Thanks Craig...I checked your site, but must have been careless....couldn't find it.

This light interests me for its crazy durability.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Gentleman, excellent reviews/links. It doesnt appear that many peole here have these, though. Is the beam too focused for "general" use? Have you experimented with run time?

Craig, I have the 1400, does the Star "blow it away" for brightness and quantity of light?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Star *is* brighter (I think) but I'd need to FIND my 1400 and see just how much brighter. Once I *FIND* my Expedition 1400, I'll put new batteries in it and compare the two for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I found my Expedition 1400 and compared the two.

In terms of total emitted light (the now-famous "bathroom ceiling test"), they're very, very close. In terms of which flashlight has a brighter beam, that goes to the Expedition Star.

In terms of which one "throws" farther, that honour goes to the Expedition Star. It has a tighter, brighter hotspot than the 1400 has (this is also why it looks so much more brighter in the picture), so it can project its beam farther than the 1400 can. It's not an issue of one being "better" than the other; it's the LS LED and optics in the Expedition Star, versus the Nichia LEDs and no optics in the Expedition 1400.

expstar5.jpg

On the left is the Expedition Star, on the right is the Expedition 1400.
Both were shot at a wall about 5 feet away for this picture.
I live in the middle of a city and don't have ready access to woods, so please don't ask for non-wall beamshots.

batterystation

Enlightened
I just sold one of those stars to McConnel and he gave it a glowing report on a dive trip. This is one paragraph of his report:

Now enter the Expedition Star. I could see practically as far as the HID without hurting my eyes at all. In fact, while the HID fully illuminated the particles in the water, the Star seemed to ignore them. So, I could see just as far as the HID (practically speaking), I could keep track of my buddy far easier, I could read my gauges easily, I could turn off my light and have some night vision. This amazing little (for a scuba light) light simply allowed my eyes to optimally adjust to the dark enviroment and to clearly see at night in the dark. I am still amazed at what I actually saw. One dive took us to 105 ft to a boat on the bottom. I saw it fully 20' away and it fully illuminated the boat at 10' (remember only 30' viz). My dive buddy (he had a conventional 4c dive light) later commented he did not need a light on that dive since he only needed to look at mine to see everything. His UK 4c illuminated further away but did not actually reveal anything if you know what I mean.

This was pasted without his permission but he also sent this report to Tek-Tite as I understand. We are having a CPF Special on this light right now too on the CPF link below.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Craig, you ROCK....thanks.
Can you post some wilderness comparisons?...just kidding, don't hurt me.

Battery Station...very tempting.