ITP A3 not very bright

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I just got my ITP A3 in the other day and I am a lttle disappointed in its brightness. I compared it to my 2 AA minimag led and my Brinkmann 1 AA and it is significantly less bright than both of those. Also it has very little throw. I thought the A3 was suposed to be 80 lumens on high but my brinkmann rated at 60 lumens seems much more powerfull. The minimag LED is a little less lowerful than the Brinkmann but still much more light than A3 on high. Did I get a dud? At this point I am considering returning it and maybe trying a Maratac.

Cole07

Enlightened
Most people say that iTP makes the Maratacs because they are so similar. Keep in mind it is not made to throw. It is a very floody light with a very large less intense hotspot than your LED minimag. It could be possible that you got a dud too.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Sometimes lights with more throw may look brighter than a light with more lumens but greater flood. I would have have a hard time working out which is brighter between 60 or 80 lumens and more so if the beam isn't the same.

edit.

I don't know how long 1XAAA with a Q5 running on some battery types can put out 60-80 lumens. What are you running your A3 with?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
How are you evaluating the lights?
Make sure all your batteries are fresh and comparable quality.

If you are shining them across the room or yard, thats the wrong way to do it.
Ceiling bounce comparison is the only way to visually compare lumen outputs, without being influenced by the effects of lux and beam concentration.

On a ceiling bounce comparison I found the 2AA rebel minimag to be noticeably dimmer than my A3-EOS, which did 78L in the BC sphere.

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
If I recall correctly bigchills measured 70lms otf.

All my AAA3's appear that bright. As far as throw goes they are little lights with little reflectors. I find they to throw well for what they are. Perhaps you have one that isn't right.

Cole07

Enlightened
If you use lithium primarys you will get a solid 80+, duraloops or eneloops about 75 and alkalines about 70 is what I've heard/seen on the charts.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
If you can live (carefully) without built in battery protection, the 10440 li-ion battery works very well in the iTPA3 and makes it substantially brighter as well.

joe1512

Enlightened
It really ought to beat the 1xAA brinkmann.

You are comparing on High mode right? Its medium, low, then high.

Try an L92 Energizer ultimate lithium. That might net you a bit more brightness. (not to be confused with rechargable lithiums). I think theres a Zinc nickel one thats 1.7 volts too that might help.

Or maybe yours is defective.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Wow, I hate to hear that. My ITP A3 is quite bright. It amazes my friends and several of them happen to know a bit about flashlights.
Although I am sure you already thought about this, I would try a different battery. Good luck. I hope you figure out the problem. Keep us posted.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Yeah, this was my thought. Maybe he wasn't actually on 'high'.....

Same here...

If all else fails, try that iTP with Li-Ion 10440 battery :D
At least for me its quite a lot of light from such a small flaslight.