Husky 2D died... new magled 3d

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
So.. The Husky 2D led light that I bought about two years ago died :(
It has been messing up for awhile... I rarely even used it.. just kept it in the garage. Had to go into the attic and it really pissed me off. It wouldn't stay on when you clicked the button, you had to hold the button to keep it on. So knowing that it had a lifetime warranty, I took it to Home Depot to get it replaced. I didn't think to do any research ahead of time, so I just went there. Apparently it has been discontinued... with no replacement. They actually didn't have any husky lights, other than a cheap looking assortment pack. Anyways.. after the guy trying to find it in the system for like 20 minutes, he googles it.. and find a link to CPF and finds the sku number, but that won't even come up. He gets a manager, and the manager asked me if I remembered how much I paid for it. I said $30 bucks... then he tells the cashier to do a return, and he gave me back $31.87 (tax included) CASH. So I go to the flashlight isle.. and the only thing worth anything is the maglite led's. I could get the 2d maglite led for $29.82, or a 3d maglite led WITH a 2aa minimag led for $29.97. It was a no brainer. So now I am at home, and I know this isn't as bright as the light I started out with, but it was still a pretty good deal.

So... question is... any advice? What can I do with this thing? I'll probably keep it in my car now, and leave the task force in the garage. It'll be better in the car for if I need to beat people with it :)

I don't want to put much money into it, but if there is anyway to make it better than it is now, let me know! Thanks!

JamisonM

Enlightened
It depends. Did yo get the newer rebel magleds or the older luxeon III magleds? If it's the older luxeon III magled, the most effective and cheapest way to increase output would be to do a LED swap with a seoul p4. A seoul p4 will double output and only cost you around $10, but you will need to know how to solder or find someone who can. If it's one of the newer rebel magleds, I can't really say I would do anything to it. It's pretty good light as is.

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
If it's one of the newer rebel magleds, I can't really say I would do anything to it. It's pretty good light as is.

+1

If you'll be leaving it in the car, I'd buy some 2or3 AA to D-cell adapters and fill them with energizer lithiums.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

If you'll be leaving it in the car, I'd buy some 2or3 AA to D-cell adapters and fill them with energizer lithiums.
i,ve never seen 3aa to d adapter in parallel.
thou you can swap 4 lithium's for 1d cell with no adapters, just some ingenuity, some minimum fabrication and you're set.

to o.p. i bought Duracell daylight 2d, and use it with 2 2aa-d adapter filled with lithium AA, compared to mag led 2d rebel, daylight has a lot more spill, while it doesn't throw as far, i like it better, more flood, enough throw, and no rings in the beam.
also duracell fixed the leak and freeze cell problem, the battery tube is a bit larger, and has dozen or more deep flutes, i guess they learned mag lite stock cells lesson.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
Well.. apparently I do have the new Rebel version. Am I missing something as to why it's called a Rebel? Not that it matters. I guess I'll keep it the way it is... but any recommendations on where to get the aa-d adapters? Thanks!

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
my bad, I was actually thinking of 4xAA adapters

too bad it's not a 2D - you could swap the led modules from the mini maglite. You'd get one really decent 2AA light and a dimmer, but functional multimode 2D that runs FOREVER.

You can order the adapters from ebay, DealExtreme, or other chinese sellers. You can also go way overboard and try and get a custom parallel Fivemega adapter built.
The 4xAA adapters are available from the link I provided in the previous post.

here's an ebay link For an 8 pack.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.. apparently I do have the new Rebel version. Am I missing something as to why it's called a Rebel?

cuz led that is used there called rebel.
iirc if your serial starts with dl than you got rebel led, not luxeon3, (lux3 is basicly the same incandesent mag, but with retofit led bulb).

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs cool, good find, i think i'll order 2 for my duracell. thou i'm 99,9% it will not fit unbored mag.

Hmm... so what exactly is the advantage of using AA's in the light? And benefits of using the 4aa-D rather than 1aa-D?

cuz led that is used there called rebel.
iirc if your serial starts with dl than you got rebel led, not luxeon3, (lux3 is basicly the same incandesent mag, but with retofit led bulb).
Definately a rebel

fishx65

Enlightened
Since they gave you cash, you could return the Mag and pick up the 3C Rayovac Sportsman Extreme Cree. Really bright solid torch sold at Meijer, Shopko, Menards and others. Rumor has it that the newer one has two modes.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... so what exactly is the advantage of using AA's in the light? And benefits of using the 4aa-D rather than 1aa-D?

not any AA but only lithium AA like energizer e2 or ultimate lithium's(the best), they come in blue pack, some lithium's come in yellow pack, but the are not as good as in blue, but still better than alkaline.

lithium cells have shelf life 10 years, they don't leak, and can handle extreme temperatures, the also lighter than even alkaline aa, also , thou in your case it is irrelevant, AA lithium cell can continuously be discharged at 2 amps, even alkaline d has problems to supplying current over 1 amp,
cons of lithium's is their high price, 4 pack is about $10. normally
4aa , as you pbly figured yourself, have 4x capacity compared to 1aa, if wired in parallel, in series.... you guessed it, 4x the voltage, but capacity of 1 cell.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
Since they gave you cash, you could return the Mag and pick up the 3C Rayovac Sportsman Extreme Cree. Really bright solid torch sold at Meijer, Shopko, Menards and others. Rumor has it that the newer one has two modes.

Yea... I didn't think about doing that. I've already opened this all up, I'll keep it.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
not any AA but only lithium AA like energizer e2 or ultimate lithium's(the best), they come in blue pack, some lithium's come in yellow pack, but the are not as good as in blue, but still better than alkaline.

lithium cells have shelf life 10 years, they don't leak, and can handle extreme temperatures, the also lighter than even alkaline aa, also , thou in your case it is irrelevant, AA lithium cell can continuously be discharged at 2 amps, even alkaline d has problems to supplying current over 1 amp,
cons of lithium's is their high price, 4 pack is about $10. normally
4aa , as you pbly figured yourself, have 4x capacity compared to 1aa, if wired in parallel, in series.... you guessed it, 4x the voltage, but capacity of 1 cell.

So back to comparing using the 4aa-D rather than 1aa-D... is the only difference actual runtime? Brightness stays the same??

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
eneloops have less voltage than alkaline or lithium, i don't know if rebel mag is regulated, if yes, than you can run eneloops, if not you still can but it will be dimmer.

but the only advantages eneloop will give you, the wont leak, and obviously you can recharge them, they still no go for cold or hot climate, if you keep it in the car where it can get really hot in the summer, or cold in the winter, don't use nimh, they are sensitive to temp. plus you get another side of rechargeables, unless you maintain their charge, they usually dead when you need them, especially lights that you don't use often, even lsd nimh.
as for 12, unless you bore out your 3d it is hard to fit 12AA in 3d mag, either series or parallel.
get 1 or 2 aa to d adapter, (i got 12 2AA toD on ebay for like $10.) and load it with eneloops, see how it works for you, you can switch to lithium's, or even to alkaline d any time.

if you ask, why bother with AA at all, what is wrong with using regular D cells, well nothing wrong except for the fact that it might leak especially if left in hot place, very often when cells leak, and in lights that ppl use once in a blue moon, leaked cells get stock, and you can't remove them, so light is dead. it doesn't happen all the time, if you check alkaline periodically to see if they start leaking, you'll be fine with alk D cells.

hydrogen peroxide is great for cleaning whatever leaked out of the cells, just catch it in time, don't let the stuff dry up and freeze the cells

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Soo.... hopefully last question. It would be the same as running eneloop AA's? Cuz I have tons of those. I can sacrifice runtime if it means not putting 12AA's in this thing lol.
You don't have to put 12AA cells in you 3D maglite. You can buy just a single AA to D adapter. You'll sacrifice runtime, but nothing prevents you from having an extra pack or two in with the light. It depends on how much you will use the light. You can use eneloops, but I can only say that the lithiums would be more stable and wouldn't need recharging.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I imagine this is a stupid question... I need more eneloops anyways... so I need to buy those whether they are for this 3D light or not. Batteryjunction has an eneloop kit for what I think is a great price, includes the charger, 8AA, 2AAA, then 4 C-AA adapters, and 4 D-AA adapters. I think I am going to order this... then use the D-AA adapters in the 3dmaglite with lithium batteries. Good Idea? Bad Idea? Do you not care either way :p

ama230

Enlightened
get the kit as i got them for my new rebel 2d maglite. If it runs for an hour its great. Also the kit is half the price it is normally, i had ordered two earlier because i would like to have some spare adaptors. If you want the same runtime get the ebay ones with two in parallel as two eneloops in parallel will be the same as a regular d cell in capacity.

The eneloops are a great investment as a regular energizer kit that comes with the charger is a little over 20 bucks and the eneloop kit is about the same, so its a super bargain.

I have the rebel mini mag and love the beam and throw, 100 lumens that throws is a great light in my opinion and great choice by the way.

I havent heard of a maglite breaking lately... So great choice by keeping it.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
So back to comparing using the 4aa-D rather than 1aa-D... is the only difference actual runtime? Brightness stays the same??

Keep in mind that any 3XAA or 4XAA adapters you get need to be run in PARALLEL, NOT in series. If you put (3) 3AA to D or 4AA to D adaptors in your Mag 3D LED, it's the same as putting 9 or 12 cells in your 3 cell Mag...it'll go :poof:

PJD

Latest posts