A Pocket DEFT....

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my newly built Pocket Aspheric. I used a Tiablo A9 Aspheric lens, a shortened Solarforce L2P host, McClicky switch SF tailcap, EZ900 die XR-E R2, and AMC 4X7135 1.4A driver. The EZ900 die is responsible for a 23% increase in lux over the EZ1000 die R2's. This light is only 5.95 inches long, yet uses an 18650 battery. I did everything I could to make it as pocketable as possible. Today my AEMC CA813 light meter arrived. Measurements taken at 10 Meters. Start-up 121,000 lux. 30 seconds 117,100 lux, 3 minutes 114,000 lux. My DEFT-FTP did 131,500. Considering this light is half the size of a DEFT-FTP I'm quite happy. To minimize size and fade I built a special pill with no threading for maximum heat transfer to the body. It is a tight press fit, and I Artic Silvered it in place.

IMG_7015.jpg

Here is a shot of the threading and pill.
IMG_7050.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

Masterpiece pro1 on left (56,000 lux) Aspheric on right (121,000 lux)
IMG_7037.jpg

Lots of testing to do with new light meter.
IMG_7032-1.jpg

IMG_7033.jpg

UPDATE 121,000 peak, 117100 after 30 seconds, 114,000 after 3 minutes. Really happy with how well the heat sink is working. Heres a pic of the Lumapower pill I built. I replaced the thin .7 mm bulkhead with a 6mm thick sink. This is 1.4 Amp EZ900 also, and I'm getting 103,000 lux with the Turbo-Force head. Too small the hot spot though. My plan is to put it in the Tele-force D-mini head. (did it. 27,800 lux) Not bad for a 3.8" long pocket light.
IMG_6938.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like what you been doing with all those Ez900 R2's. I am looking forward to your results, especially now that you have a super accurate lux meter: congrats.

I also measured a Deft FTP that put out 120k lux @ 1 meter. I do my measurements at 5 meters and calculate back to 1, but I bet 10 meters is better.

Walterk

Enlightened
Thinking what these parts would cost altogether... what directon would it go?
Really nice light. If this was in the store...

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
About $30 for Tiablo aspheric head, $12 for a L2P host, $2 driver, $7 LED = About $50 to build, plus my labor. I figure I would have to pay $200 for something like this to get custom built. I just built a Triple R5 P60 drop-in at a cost of $55. Worth $155. So far I've saved myself $250 by buying a mini-lathe. My next project is a Quad or Triple-Triple R5. Bought a M4 body for $75, paid Oveready $32 to bore it. Another $150-200 for triple R5 board and optic. Who knows how much I'd have to pay for that. I'm sure there is a pretty good number of people who would pay for a Triple-Triple with 2850 OTF and 15,000 lux. I figure thats a $400 dollar light. Should about pay for my new lathe pretty soon.

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened
I take it a std. L2P host will not just screw into the Tiablo aspheric head.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it a std. L2P host will not just screw into the Tiablo aspheric head.
Nope. I cut it down, and re-threaded it. A total custom deal. You can see in the second picture down. Used to be a P60 Drop-in type end. My plans are to get one of the new Surefire Z2S bodies and bore/Thread the Tiablo head to fit next time.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nice work, but DEFT is a specific brand name, AFAIK. It would be nice if you could creatively come up with a different name. When you plagerize another light's name, it is sort of like someone saying they came up with a pocket maglight.

The project is nice though.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I felt I was flattering Michael. His DEFT is now the definition of a far-throwing Aspheric. I am not selling these, or trying in any way to make money off the name.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nice work, but DEFT is a specific brand name, AFAIK.

The company name is "OMG Lumens" There is no "DEFT" brand name. "Maglite" IS a brand name. When I build my up-coming Z2 Aspheric, I'll probably call it my "Surefire Z2 Aspheric" I don't see a problem with that either.

I call this one my.... "McClicky, Surefire, Jetbeam, Streamlight, LuxRC-Triple R5, Mini"
jbt3a.jpg

jbt3c.jpg

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
... So far I've saved myself $250 by buying a mini-lathe...

... Should about pay for my new lathe pretty soon.

Not only pay for itself, but the lathe really enables you to do more fancy/complicated projects that are hard to do (some even impossible) with plain hand tools.

Nice project by the way :twothumbs

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are comparing it to the DEFT, you should do a side by side shootout like I did with DEFT vs. Aspheric Mags. I called the DEFT a "Pocket MaxaBeam" after comparing them in shots.

I sold my DEFT already. But on my old light meter I get about 90% of the output of DEFT with my new light. Kinda hard to say exactly what the DEFT does because there was a 29% difference in Lux from the middle to the hottest spot of the die image. The EZ900 is about 12% lux change. So on an Area Weighted Lux average it holds up pretty well to DEFT.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only pay for itself, but the lathe really enables you to do more fancy/complicated projects that are hard to do (some even impossible) with plain hand tools.

Nice project by the way :twothumbs

Yep. Really liking it. Been since high-school since I touched a lathe. I've got several newly built pills in waiting for new improved LED's such as XM. They are all very chunky with lots of heat-sinking mass compared to the stock pills. The lumapower pills for example use a .7mm bulkhead for the LED mount base. My pill is 6mm thick, and has no threads. Just a tight press fit for maximum heat transfer to the body.

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

shuter

Enlightened
Nice work kengps :D I have a similar light made by MJ and it is very impressive. It is probably my most impressive light to show off to someone due to it's small size and unbelieveable throw.