Quark mini AA & CR123 users thread (Part 2)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re intermittent contact-- from bouncing while running with the light -- I haven't noticed it.

I routinely add a dab of Nyogel (bought an ounce from someone here years ago) or DeOxit, this stuff, which you can find: http://www.caig.com/

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_1744.jpg

csshih holding three MiNi AAs (I think they're AA's): Neutral, warm white, and cool white, from left to right.

2nd4ever

Newly Enlightened
PCC: Thanks for the excellent wall shot!

Now my wife is doesn't like her cool white AA MiNi – wants one in warm white.

Guess I'm stuck with a spare MiNi !! :thumbsup:

Burncycle

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about buying a mini 123, but I like clickies... Does the quark tail (regular or tactical) work with the quark mini 123?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I was thinking about buying a mini 123, but I like clickies... Does the quark tail (regular or tactical) work with the quark mini 123?

No, the mini doesn't have a removable tailcap. Even if it did, it is smaller in diameter. So the MiNi isn't lego-able with any regular Quark parts.

Burncycle

Newly Enlightened
Just received my first Mini 123

I wasn't sure if I'd like the UI as this was the first time I've had a light anything more complex than a surefire, but so far I'm loving it

This could be the start of an addiction!

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 123 mini as well. I like it in every way, except twisting the light on sometimes it jumps to medium or high. Kind of unpredictable.

-Freq

dosmun

Newly Enlightened
Just pulled the trigger on a Neutral Mini 123. I've been looking at them daily for a week or 2 and finally gave in.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I just got my 123 mini as well. I like it in every way, except twisting the light on sometimes it jumps to medium or high. Kind of unpredictable.

-Freq

If the threads are in spec, you just have to get used to using it. Happened to me a lot too, but now, it's no problem at all to turn it on without skipping modes.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
If the threads are in spec, you just have to get used to using it. Happened to me a lot too, but now, it's no problem at all to turn it on without skipping modes.

That's exactly what I used to say about Q-Mini 123's.

I guess there's still some truth to that (in terms of my two specimens), but it's also now true that sometimes mine mode skip so badly the STROBE functions pop up out of nowhere.

But then other times they work fine......

TwitchALot

Enlightened
That's exactly what I used to say about Q-Mini 123's.

I guess there's still some truth to that (in terms of my two specimens), but it's also now true that sometimes mine mode skip so badly the STROBE functions pop up out of nowhere.

But then other times they work fine......

If the threads are not in spec it can be more difficult. But it's really about the way you twist it and getting used to that. Still, even though I had a Mini with out of spec threads (quite so, mind you), I've NEVER gone to strobe accidentally. But then, I spent a little time figuring out how to twist it nicely instead of just mashing the head around.

hagthor

Newly Enlightened
Here's my idea that i wanted to share with you all.
This has saved me on numerous occasions... my Qmini AA "wallet".
Use a AAA instead! fold a bill or two lengthwise and just roll 'em around the battery, it doesn't rattle and you got yourself a stash of a couple bucks or in my case $40!
(The tape is just a little gaffers tape so i don't wreck my teeth bighting on it.)

69740507.jpg

45100335.jpg

hope ya like!

Last edited:

nowayitskevin

Newly Enlightened
Here's my idea that i wanted to share with you all.
This has saved me on numerous occasions... my Qmini AA "wallet".
Use a AAA instead! fold a bill or two lengthwise and just roll 'em around the battery, it doesn't rattle and you got yourself a stash of a couple bucks or in my case $40!
(The tape is just a little gaffers tape so i don't wreck my teeth bighting on it.)

69740507.jpg

45100335.jpg

hope ya like!
Clever! too bad i don't have this option for a mini 123, at least i don't think so.

I just placed an order for my mini 123 and i am anxious for its arrival. have i made the right decision?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clever! too bad i don't have this option for a mini 123, at least i don't think so.
You might be able to get a CR2 to work in there using a $20 bill as a spacer.

I just placed an order for my mini 123 and i am anxious for its arrival. have i made the right decision?
Yes, I think that you've made a great decision. My MiNi 123 is my favorite EDC light.

Tiresius

Enlightened
RCR123?

Can you run AW's battery on these without any problem? I don't want to risk frying it or anything. I just fried a xenon 6v bulb for fun with 2 RCR123's.

I ordered one from 4sevens and hoping it can come soon. Anyone run the warm white XP-G R5 with 4.2v? Has anyone fried one with AW's battery?

LUCENTDAWN

Newly Enlightened
Recently while on vacation, I was out at dinner with my wife and noticed a burning sensation coming from my right thigh pocket area. My first instinct was that my Spyderco Tenacious had opened in my pocket and cut me and that I was feeling my warm blood trickling down my leg! but I realized that it was my Quark Mini 123 that had inadvertently turned on in my jeans pocket. I have since learned that if you keep the Mini 123 like I do in the bottom of your jeans pocket, you need to turn the bezel significantly loose in order to ensure that pressure from sitting down does not activate the flashlight. Now that I know this, I've had ZERO problems with the flashlight and consider it an outstanding EDC for normal situations. First CPF post!:party:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can overheat them:
http://www.google.com/search?q="quark+mini+AA"+"4sevens"+"lithium-ion"

cistallus

Enlightened
Can you run AW's battery on these without any problem? I don't want to risk frying it or anything. I just fried a xenon 6v bulb for fun with 2 RCR123's.

The Mini runs fine with RCR123/16340 - but that battery is not officially supported due to heat as hank mentions. So just run it for a short while, no more than a minute or two unless well heat-sinked by your hand or something.
First CPF post!:party:
That's happened to me too - :welcome: