How bright is the CMG Ultra?

Drjones

Enlightened
I'm considering purchasing a couple of the CMG's from Countycomm, one for me and one for my mom, as she wants a light to keep in her car.

Would you recommend the CMG as a "car" light? I'm also considering the Inova X5T, but wonder how the two compare in brightness. (I know it may be a dumb question since the X5 has 5 LEDs and the CMG is just one, but I simply don't know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I like the CMG because it seems bright enough for most uses, but has a great runtime.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Drjones

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I'm very happy with my Ultra, very good for many uses. The X5 is several times bright then the Ultra. If you do a search for either on Led forum you could probably find some beamshots. Maybe get one of each and see which you like the best? You also might want to check out the PT Attitude a sturdy 3led 4AAA light. About twice as bright as the Ultra and dimmer then the X5. I don't have an X5 so I can't give much help on that other then most people who have one seem to like them.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IMHO if you're going to use the light inside the car then the Ultra will be fine. For outside the car I should think that one of the Streamlight Twin Task lights (all less than $35) would be fine.

Added
IMHO, if you're going to be out of the car at night, you need a light that someone else can see at some distance! I just don't think the Ultra is bright enough for that.

Drjones

Enlightened
I just said "screw it" and got my mom the X5. I have two (one original, one Tactical) and love 'em. They are sturdy, solid, bright and dependable lights, and its the very least I can do for her.

I can't picture one small LED being bright enough to keep as a dedicated car light. (Short of an L4, of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I also got the CMG for myself, though it seems CountyComm raised the price to $18 from $15. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second Roys rec. The Twin-Tasks give you a bright Xenon (when you need it), and longggg running LEDs when you don't.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you made the right choice.
I wouldn't recommend any alkaline battery light for car use because the odds are that when you need it the batteries will be dead.
Lithium is the only way to go for long standby periods.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
I'd say you made the right choice.
I wouldn't recommend any alkaline battery light for car use because the odds are that when you need it the batteries will be dead.
Lithium is the only way to go for long standby periods.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I totally forgot about that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I sure did make the better choice!!!