Malkoff "Hound Dog"

DimmerD

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog" coming soon!

Got his email 10 minutes ago and he is already sold out, thats Malkoff for you!
I got to hand it to Gene, everybody wants what he makes, it's always good stuff!

jonesy

Enlightened

Looks like the throw junkies will be rejoicing in the streets.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well since the dog is out of the yard so to speak no need to keep it a secret any longer. I have s/n 002 coming to me for review. It was partially my idea to take the new XP-G and put it into a deeper reflector that would fit into the Wildcat sized head and make a dedicated Malkoff thrower type flashlight. Same hi/low twist head capabilities, you can make it work on MD2 through MD4 size hosts, all the way up to 12V. This thing is going to be sweet. :D

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

MrGman,

You lucky dog:crackup:

What is the XP-G being driven at?

In know the tripple wildcat drives them at 900mA and the M61 at 1A, but what about this super thrower?

I think its 1.2A~1.4A:poke:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks super sweet. No !X18650 support, but oh well, I guess I can't ahve EVERYTHING. Can't wait to give it a shot!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well since the dog is out of the yard so to speak no need to keep it a secret any longer. I have s/n 002 coming to me for review. It was partially my idea to take the new XP-G and put it into a deeper reflector that would fit into the Wildcat sized head and make a dedicated Malkoff thrower type flashlight. Same hi/low twist head capabilities, you can make it work on MD2 through MD4 size hosts, all the way up to 12V. This thing is going to be sweet. :D

MrGman,

You and Malkoff really make it impossible to keep every promise to reduce the flashlight purchases! lovecpf

donn_

Flashaholic

I just got off the phone with Gene. He'll be signing in after a while with more info about the light, but he told me the reflector is a slightly modified version of the 38mm reflector in the new Makai, and the light is driven at ~1488ma on high.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with Gene. He'll be signing in after a while with more info about the light, but he told me the reflector is a slightly modified version of the 38mm reflector in the new Makai, and the light is driven at ~1488ma on high.

Thanks Donn,

Thats what I been waiting for. A high quality XP-G light that isn't afraid to drive those XP-G's hard at almost 1.5A. Now; with Gene's heatsinking I predict these will be awesome throwers for us Malkoff Junkies.:sick2:

donn_

Flashaholic

I can attest to the strength of this combination of parts. This light:

IMGP3304.jpg

Has an McR38 reflector and an R5 XP-G being driven by a GDuP with a 1.6A high. It's a scorcher!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Donn,

When you say its a modified version of the McR38 reflector what do you mean?

Modified to fit the Malkoff design?

Or

Modified to give more throw?

Thanks,
bigC

donn_

Flashaholic

The reflector in the Makai is a modified McR38..modified to properly focus the XP-G. Gene's reflector is further modified to fit the Hound Dog.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Now THAT's a UI a man can love! Low, High period. No blinkie modes! If this out throws my G5 I'll be so sad I didn't know it was coming.

Yes, in a perfect world I would much rather be able to choose my own host. Heck, if the XP-G were a pill I could screw out and replace with other pills even better.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 Nothing against the Malkoff host body but I'd realy like to use this thrower on one of my SF hosts.

JB

Malkoff and Surefire heads/bodies are not compatible.