In search of a Surefire single-AA 2-stage clicky...

ztm

Banned
Edited for people who only read the first post:

This started out as a vent about the lack of dual mode, simple single AA lights but has turned into a lot of suggestions many of which have been helpful. I am set on an E2E body..fitting an AA is not an issue as a few good ideas have been presented. The issue now is the LED and the switching. I am looking for high and low only...but also a momentary capable z57 or the like. The struggle is finding out how to get two modes and retain normal momentary foward clicky function. Thanks.

Original post follows:

Why do quality manufacturers ignore the single AA dual mode light?

I have wanted a single AA E-series light forever and cannot even find someone to make one custom. I have had Fenix and the like and they all fail or add unwanted complications. A tough forward clicky with momentary and constant, two settings high and low, single AA simple form factor light seems like a logical standard thing...but it isn't out there.

It took Surefire forever to make that ugly long 2AA light even thought worldwide the AA is prolific. Had they made it single AA it would have fit perfectly to my needs. If Fenix can put out a 100 lumen + light then anyone can yet Surefire comes out with a 2AA light with output below the cheap Chinese stuff. Even the recent Malkoff M31 thread has several people disappointed to find out one AA won't work with the new drop in.

I don't want fancy designs, multi level programming, exotic materials that costs 500 dollars...just a simple and durable 2 mode light with superb quality. I don't care about strobes or constant ramping or inlays or glowing tailcaps. Just a good solid light. It is an ignored market and frustrates me. I have spent years and years wasting money and settling on lights that don't really fit my desire.

I will probably die before this thing gets made...seeing how long it took Surefire to make the 2AA they should get around to a single AA with last gen specs around the year 2045.

Last edited:

ztm

Banned
Re: The single AA dual mode light is ignored

Jetbeam makes a nice 2-mode 1xAA in stainless steel: http://www.jetbeamusa.com/products/Element-Premium.html

Like everything out there it falls short....smooth shiny steel that has no clip for attachment and to prevent rolling, and the low is 15lumens, that is too high for the low I want.

I want 100+ high and forever moonlight low. Those specs in an E2E body is what I would be happy with.

ztm

Banned

Too many modes (don't want to settle for working around all the extras...just want hi and low), too tight of a hot spot, don't want an "attack" bezel, and too pricey for a Chinese light. In my opinion anyway.

I am telling ya I have seen them all and bought half of them. If someone found me the dream light I would have to kiss them...not sure if that would be a good thing or not ;)

Danintex

Enlightened

I gotta say, the Element's are sweet lights. Thick enough I bet someone could drill it for a clip. Carries nice and takes abuse fairly well.

ztm

Banned

I gotta say, the Element's are sweet lights. Thick enough I bet someone could drill it for a clip. Carries nice and takes abuse fairly well.

Not saying it isn't a decent light...it's just not what I want. Don't like the 15lum low, the finish isn't for me, and don't want to spend more trying to modify it into what would still be settling.

ztm

Banned

What's wrong with a Quark AA Tactical?

Too many modes...too risky on getting a green tint...super slow warranty service...it's just not the light.

red02

Enlightened

For how long is the Quark under warranty? I think I saw something about a year?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Too many modes...

Not with the tactical version. You program in the ones you want and leave the rest out.

Also; Nitecore EZAA or go crazy and get an E series compatable AA body, an E2e head, and a two level LED dropin.

ztm

Banned

Not with the tactical version. You program in the ones you want and leave the rest out.

Also; Nitecore EZAA or go crazy and get an E series compatable AA body, an E2e head, and a two level LED dropin.

What E-series compatible AA body and what drop in? I have no been able to find anything that accomplishes this. The suggestions in the past have either been eternally unavailable or not what I was looking for. I have been trying to do that for years but it's not that simple.

The EZAA is a twisty and the 4sevens is not what I want for several reasons.

vickers214

Enlightened

ZTM,

Hi your idea of a dream light sounds just like mine, only i dont do clips so the Jet beam Element is cool in my book:twothumbs

I have the Quark AA Tactical and trust me once its programmed then 'other' modes are gone and don't activate ever again! and the low settings are low!, the only thing it misses out on are anti roll, and if you dig em a strike bezel (but a bit pointless on a 1AA?)....................and being picky it cant tail stand, but do you ever do that?????????

Mine is with another CPF member at the mo, as i hate the xp-g beam profile, and he is kindly moding it with an xp-e so i think it will be darn near perfect soon!................if your scared of the green buy an R2?

ztm

Banned

I appreciate the ideas but I do not want a Quark. I also do not want a strike bezel or programmable electronics. I want simple durability.

destro23

Newly Enlightened

looks like you are looking for a unicorn.... and the best AA currently out there don't meet your needs. I personally have NO need for strobe and SOS so i agree with you on a few points... BUT at one point.. you will have to pull the trigger and choose the lesser of your evils...

but straight from the quark site... (i have never used one)
"The two most commonly used modes are Max and Moonlight, the highest and lowest modes. To access Max, you simply tighten the bezel. To access Moonlight, you just loosen the bezel a half-turn. That's it."

quark, Nitecore D10 (utube is good with reviews on these)

mikeyx

Enlightened

How about the Zebralight SC50 ? While it does have 3 modes, it's super easy to switch (just hold down the clicky to ramp through the modes). Very bright and also has a very low low. Takes all AAs, including 14500.

Mike