SunwayLED L10R - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
SunwayLED L10R

90° flashlights are nothing new but seeing how uncommon they are I had relegated them to the status of "gimmick" in my mind before I had a chance to try one. The L10R has done wonders to correct my thinking and show me that they have genuine value in their own right.

SunwayLED L10R

Meat and Potatoes

The L10R is a dramatic departure from the other introduction lights by new manufacturer SunwayLED. Thus far the majority of what we have seen are control ring based lights with attractive styling. This model however has kept the stylized overtones nearly completely out of the picture opting instead for simplistic efficiency of design. The body tube of this torch is the most un-decorated flashlight component I have yet seen. The unique head has just enough decorative machining to give a place to put the unusual SunwayLED logo. Thankfully, this unpretentious appearance is covered head to tail with the flawless anodizing that is rapidly becoming trademark for this brand.

SunwayLED has crammed the 4 modes found in the M10R into a completely different user interface with its own benefits and downfalls. Gone is the ability to preselect your output mode before activating the light, but in its place comes a unique feel that is still quite easy to use. The switch for the L10R is an electronic push button similar to the much larger Olight SR90. SunwayLED however has given you the option for either constant on by pressing and immediately releasing, or momentary by just pressing and holding as long as you want light (a feature undocumented in my manual). The L10R activates in High mode every single time and cycles to Low and then to Medium with each double-click. This is somewhat of a unique order, but it works for what it is. Tucked quietly away into the background is a seemingly very hyperactive strobe mode accessed by pressing and holding the button when the light is on in any mode. Even cooler is that it will return to the same mode that it started in when released giving you momentary full power strobe even if you are using Low. Another undocumented feature is the ability to lock it in the strobe mode with a double click and hold (a move that many of you are quite familiar with if you owned any of the Nitecore SmartPD designs).

SunwayLED L10R

Taking a traditional flashlight profile and rotating the head 90° creates an uniquely altered set of ergonomics. With the switch located on the head of the light as it is, it can be located just as easily in the dark as with any tactical tailcap switch. You hold your hand naturally in front of you to point the light forward, instead of having to hold the light over your shoulder. Tailstanding (which this light is very capable of doing) also directs the light forward onto a specific target rather than blindly into the air. You can also lay the light down for ceiling bounce room lighting if you desire. This light is a little larger than some of the tiniest CR123A powered lights, but it is still not overly large by any stretch.

Single Cell CR123A

Though I have taken issue with previous SunwayLED pocket clips, the clip included with the L10R is definitely an exception. First off it does away with the insecure tension attachment in favor of a much more reliable full loop that is screwed between the body tube and head of the torch. This eliminates any wiggle, free rotation, or chance of accidental removal. Secondly it offers you the option of three positions to secure the clip (back, left or right side) allowing you to attach the light to your belt or pocket and still illuminate your way.

Pocket clip

Constructive Criticism

Utilizing an R2 bin Cree XR-E LED, the SunwayLED struggles against the well established and even infamous Cree ring common to these LEDs. Thankfully the textured reflector goes a long way toward smoothing out these imperfections and creating a usable beam. I suspect that the reflector is actually identical to the M10R since the beams are so similar between the two. Where I don't see this to be a large problem on the more traditional lights, I believe that a light in this format would greatly benefit from the change to the newer XP-G LED. This diode inherently walks hand in hand with a smoother, floodier beam that would compliment the usage of the L10R very nicely.

Cree XR-E

One interesting note discovered during my testing was some peculiarity of the behavior of the switch. With this style of electronic switch, the operation is a whole lot different than your usual forward or reverse clicky switch. I have found this switch to occasionally not appear to register my presses. I am not entirely certain that this is not just an issue of needing to get used to the light more on my part or if there is some ever so slight hiccup in the light. Usually if I just slow down a little and be more deliberate with my press, it will register correctly and the problem will go away.

Conclusions

The SunwayLED L10R is a unique twist on your classic flashlight and offers a useful new angle on illumination. Tired of the puns? How about this. Spectacular fit and finish pair up with a well thought out light with plenty of excellent features. I am impressed.

SunwayLED L10R

Provided for review by the kind folks at SunwayLED via Battery Junction.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Nice write-up AS. :)

FYI, Sunway just sent me a L10A for review (1xAA version of the L10R) - but it will be a little while before I can get to it. Just too many lights on hand for testing (although I am prioritizing the M40A ;)).

One thing - my L10A has the same original clip design from L10R/M20C series. Glad to see your L10R had a more secure one - hopefully they are in the process of changing these over for the other models too.

:wave:

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aard,

Nice review, thanks. What does the L10 use for power? Seems like a nicely made light.
GAH! I can't believe I failed to mention that. Yep, the L10R takes a single CR123A. I'll have to work that in somewhere.

Selfbuilt: Glad to see you get to review one of these also. Too bad you don't have the decent clip. It's a real significant improvement. Really helps the light out a lot.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
GAH! I can't believe I failed to mention that. Yep, the L10R takes a single CR123A. I'll have to work that in somewhere.

Selfbuilt: Glad to see you get to review one of these also. Too bad you don't have the decent clip. It's a real significant improvement. Really helps the light out a lot.
Just edited my post - it's atually the L10A I've received (i.e. 1xAA version). Could be they haven't upgraded the other series yet, but I hope the new clip design makes the rounds of all models.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just edited my post - it's atually the L10A I've received (i.e. 1xAA version). Could be they haven't upgraded the other series yet, but I hope the new clip design makes the rounds of all models.
That would sure be nice, though I don't expect it at least on the M10R since that would preclude having the clip in bezel down position. The M10R doesn't have a tailcap that unscrews to allow it.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constructive Criticism

Utilizing an R2 bin Cree XR-E LED, the SunwayLED struggles against the well established and even infamous Cree ring common to these LEDs. Thankfully the textured reflector goes a long way toward smoothing out these imperfections and creating a usable beam.

I believe that a light in this format would greatly benefit from the change to the newer XP-G LED. This diode inherently walks hand in hand with a smoother, floodier beam that would compliment the usage of the L10R very nicely.

Totally agree with you. I love the hands free operation when clipped on the belt, but that almost requires a floody light to get enough coverage for undirected operation.

I took the head apart, swapped into a neurtral XPG R4, combined with RCR123, now I have a huge spot, no cree rings & almost 500 lumens of neutral floody light to cover wherever I am heading towards:

dscf7195e.jpg

dscf7207l.jpg

dscf7173k.jpg

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind it looks like their website is down right now, my bad. Anyway it looks like it might be time for me to step up and look into some of these Sunway models, they have some rather unique designs.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That is impressive. Are the electronics able to handle the RCR? I didn't think that SunwayLED built them to sustain it.

Thanks! Nearly all boost drivers default to Direct Drive when input volt is higher than led Vf. The increase in current by DD RCR123 is usually well within the limits of the boards, as long as heat sinking is adequate, it's usually fine.

The heat sinking in this light is an aluminum "cage", has openings on 4 sides cut out to house the Led, driver board & a separate mode control board. It's cut out of an aluminum column, huge contact area remaining to the flashlight head compares to traditional side contact only thermo transfer.

The only drawback in the Stock light was that the Led wasn't glued down, it's just white thermo paste, it relies on the reflector to push down & make contact to keep the pressure on, so if the reflector SS bezel get loose, it may have problems if the cree detaches from the cage sink.

I glued the XPG R4 down with arctic silver thermo adhesive, feel much more secure about it. The light will run hot quick on high with 1.7Amp, indication of good thermo transfer. So I use high for short bursts. Medium is my most used mode now.

I only wish the light comes on to medium or has memory.
Unfortunately, it doesn't, it comes on to Hi every time, requires two double clicks to get to Medium.

Last edited:

Rat6P

Enlightened
WOW!!....Nice mod!

I have a L10A on it way.........I am definitely going to do this.