proven ruggedness of "tactical" lights from smaller vendors/companies?

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks!

I wanted to inquire if there are NSN numbers or larger quantities of any particular brand or model lights that have been around long enough to earn the thumbs up for ruggedness from the more tactical-oriented crowd.

I will say that I am a neophyte in the flashlight world. In the past, I've stuck to items that earned a place in the LEO/military community because it was a safe bet. I've run Surefire with/on firearms for years because that is what "everyone did" at the time as well as the Streamlight's TLR line of weaponlights. I also believe Surefire and Streamlight are on a very, very short list of companies that make dedicated weaponlights so there is little competition due to the specialized nature of the application and money required to R&D for this small niche. They're basic and primitive relatively speaking, but dead reliable. Only lately have I started to stray from Surefire to see what else is out there as they can't be the only game in town.

Some folks are confident enough in their light gear that they take it into their law enforcement or military environments. The additional comfort knowing that some products are specifically deisgned and tested for mission critical use means failure is improbable under anything but the harshest condition. Increasingly, more companies are offering "tactical" lights but many are just black flashlights that look the part, but aren't ruggedized to handle drops, spills, chills, impacts, and weapon-mounted recoil. Heck, Costco sells a 2-pack of "tactical" lights, as an example of how pervasive the "tactical" label is today without the substance.

I'm looking for something suitable for EDC use that is sufficiently flexible/configurable for complementing sidearm use and a strike tool. I don't need to have the latest and greatest features. I hate to borrow an Apple term, but "it just works" is the most critical selling feature for me. I've been trying the Fenix LD20 for about 6 months as an EDC. It offers multi-mode functionality which is nice for general use but not something necessary in a tactical-style light and no momentary switch. It's held up to recoil with pistol use and it's length/diameter is perfect as a yawara/kubotan but it has thin anodizing that wears fast and a few minor annoyances. However I was fairly pleased with my first "try".

Many small companies do cutting edge stuff with the newest LEDs and technologies which is fantastic because large companies have too much inertia and can rarely adapt and create products quickly in such small production numbers, but the lower volume runs also means any potential problems tend to be sporadic and not always easily traceable because there is simply a smaller user base for feedback. Smaller companies also tend to release new models constantly which means dropping old products or risk facing a huge product line spread to mantain. I am also worried about how long these companies will stick around and if any of them have plans on expanding down the line. It's not a necessity, but it's nice to know if the company will be around and it isn't just a short term business venture so you have support. There are plenty of short-lived boutique businesses in every hobby or industry.

From my limited research, I'm currently looking at the HDS Ra Tactical clickie with the R17670 compartment which makes it long enough to protrude from either end of a fist. Peak also seems to make some serious lights in the First Responder and Night Patrol series. Are there any other well-accepted lights that come to mind? Thanks!

hotlight

Enlightened
didn't read the whole post.. noticed "HDS tactical 17670"(my next HDS setup)

I'd go with a HDS.

still small enough to care about quality/rep/service, big enough that they'll be around in the future.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your main requirement is making sure 'it works', the most reliable product in my experience besides Surefire has to be Malkoff Devices products.

The Wildcat V2, new model 'Hound Dog' and the mighty M61 drop in that can either be used with a Surefire host or the Malkoff MD2, MD3, MD4 would be solid suggestions - can be seen here: http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Good luck,

James....

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's recent additions to the US Army approved "Familiy of Flashlights"

Basic White Light
ENERGIZERs 1AA LITHIUM
FIRSTLIGHTs TOMAHAWK-GP
GERBERs EXPERT M
PHANTOMs 34-S
STREAMLIGHTs TL2-LED
SUREFIREs BACKUP
SUREFIREs E2D DEFENDER
SUREFIREs E2L OUTDOORSMAN
Handfree Helmet Light
STREAMLIGHTs SIDEWINDER COMPACT
Tactical Handheld Light
ENERGIZERs GEN 2 HARD CASE
FIRSTLIGHTs TOMAHAWK-NV
GERBERs RECON M-II
PHANTOMs 41-S
SUREFIREs KROMA
STREAMLIGHTs SIDEWINDER

Also, HDS Systems, and the Gerber Recon-M II. I've seen alot of soldiers "over here" using Ra's for there weapon mounted lights, like they were bulk purchased and issued...it's good enough for them...

Hope this helps and :welcome: (BTW, what took you so long to find this place???) :laughing:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Malkoff is a small manufacturer - for me, the amount of endorsements they are getting from the shooting community (including Magpul Dynamics as seen on the front page) is enough for me to be sold on their products. These are people with integrity who would not be endorsing anything except out of sincerity and from personal experience.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Here's recent additions to the US Army approved "Familiy of Flashlights"

Basic White Light
ENERGIZERs 1AA LITHIUM
FIRSTLIGHTs TOMAHAWK-GP
GERBERs EXPERT M
PHANTOMs 34-S
STREAMLIGHTs TL2-LED
SUREFIREs BACKUP
SUREFIREs E2D DEFENDER
SUREFIREs E2L OUTDOORSMAN
Handfree Helmet Light
STREAMLIGHTs SIDEWINDER COMPACT
Tactical Handheld Light
ENERGIZERs GEN 2 HARD CASE
FIRSTLIGHTs TOMAHAWK-NV
GERBERs RECON M-II
PHANTOMs 41-S
SUREFIREs KROMA
STREAMLIGHTs SIDEWINDER

Also, HDS Systems, and the Gerber Recon-M II. I've seen alot of soldiers "over here" using Ra's for there weapon mounted lights, like they were bulk purchased and issued...it's good enough for them...

Hope this helps and :welcome: (BTW, what took you so long to find this place???) :laughing:

I'm surprised the E2DL is not on this list.

OP, Malkoff and HDS come to mind immediately.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to wait the 2 AA body tube for the HDS Clicky, that way you can stick the easy to find primary AA cells

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see the Magpul endorsement until it was mentioned, and I went to take a look. :twothumbs An endorsement on ruggedness from the guys that created the PMAG!

I've had a Malkoff M60LF for a while and just picked up the M61W which is fantastic. I wasn't aware they made complete turn-key lights now though! Gene and Cathy are great every time I have a question.

Also I was unaware HDS is coming out with an AA body which should be interesting. I've been planning on trying their tactical clicky with the 17670 body. Adding an AA option would be great as far as increasing flexibility and cells readily available in a pinch.

I'll look into some of the other options as well that were mentioned. Keep suggestions coming, I still have a lot of learning to do!