Nitize Maglite drop in

5Sport

Enlightened
I just picked up one of the Niteize drop ins for my 3 cell Maglite. It is the newer one with the smaller head over the LED. The output is not bad, for the money.

My question is, will it also work on those 6V Lantern lights? I have a couple lying around. The package said the led is good for 2-6 C/D Cell batteries. Will the 6V overload the LED, or is it within it's operating range. How many D batteries equal a 6V Batt?

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just picked up one of the Niteize drop ins for my 3 cell Maglite. It is the newer one with the smaller head over the LED. The output is not bad, for the money.

My question is, will it also work on those 6V Lantern lights? I have a couple lying around. The package said the led is good for 2-6 C/D Cell batteries. Will the 6V overload the LED, or is it within it's operating range. How many D batteries equal a 6V Batt?

Thanks
4 batteries (1.5v) is 6v it should work IF the polarity is correct, however it may not have a desirable beam pattern on lights that don't have the ability to change focus, in other words it will light up but not be worth using in most non maglites.
The polarity on maglite modules is + to the bottom tip while some lanterns have a - polarity which won't work at all and possibly damage it. Double check your light to make sure before trying.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, check the polarity of those lanterns before you put one of those bulb replacements in them.

WRT to the voltage that the Nite-Ize 3-watt bulb can handle, I've been running one of these in a 2C Mag powered by two Li-Ion cells. That's about 8.4V and the bulb doesn't draw enough amps to drop that down by much, so, probably about 8V to that bulb. That's equivalent to six or seven 1.5V alkalines.

BTW, these drop-ins focus just fine in real Fulton angle heads but the larger head bulb ones don't do well in these lights (like a Mag that is badly defocused).

5Sport

Enlightened
Thank you, since I don't want to mess with different polarities, you probably saved me from burning out my LED. Is there any simple/cheap way to upgrade those 6V lanterns to LEDs?

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thank you, since I don't want to mess with different polarities, you probably saved me from burning out my LED. Is there any simple/cheap way to upgrade those 6V lanterns to LEDs?

Thanks
Nope, it isn't worth messing with unless you are into modding the best dropins may get you 50 lumens but cost $15-$20 which could be spent towards a brighter cree based lantern that is designed from the ground up better. Use it till the battery dies and give it away and shop for a nicer light to replace it using D cells or smaller.