Newbie says hello...

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I just this moment registered and haven't even started reading threads yet, just wanted to say hi and see of any microholics are also flashaholics. I am real active on microholics, have a real problem with automatic knives, especially otfs, and now I am developing a similar affliction for flashlights.

I am especially eager to find out if CPFers think Luxeon Star is the be-all end-all of led lights? I am looking to acquire a LS that will run off of 2 AAs, have a tail cap switch, and be very dependable. Am I dreaming? Will I have to make my own? What do you think?

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Yes, affliction is a good word for it.
Read, learn, buy, repeat... Great fun though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mbs

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I'm not active on micoholics, but I do own several microtechs. Becoming a flashoholic is just another in the chain of afflictions that lead to nirvana.

Since you have an affinity for microtechs, you might as well become an ARCoholic with a set of ARC flashlights and a SureFireoholic (sp?) with a collection of SF's.

Welcome and enjoy!

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks, that was quick!

I'm also wondering what I can make out of the old Black and Decker VersaCrap (excuse me, Versapak) batteries I have laying around. I bought a VersaCrap flashlight a few years ago, and within a few days the tail cap threads were so loose the cap kept falling off. It would be nice to devise a snap-on head for the battery, with a Luxeon Star, so that the battery itself would be the handle. They're 3.6V NiCad batteries, not sure of power.

Also thinking it would be cool to design a little rechargeable flashlight that just plugs into the car cigarette lighter. And of course, something into which I could slide a camcorder Li ion battery?

Like I got that much time on my hands. Right now I am working on abalone and black lip mop handles for switchblades. Don't have time to finish those.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
xrayzebra,
Welcome to CPF. Another light with a 1 watt luxeon is a
ARC LSH-P with a 2AA tail pack. IMO this is the top of the
line. Since you're used to Microtech you might want to
check these out. You're going to love it here, your dreams
just came true.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Hi xrayzebra,

I lurk on microholics, no autos, just a manual kestrel ( but I love it ).

As Hoghead said, you won't go wrong with an Arc LSH-P. Start reading and you'll see why.

Joe

JackBlades

Enlightened
What the heck is a "Microholic"??

Just kidding! Good to see you here, XRZ. This place is one of the most active boards I've found on the net, and just like MHO, the peeps here are very polite & knowlegeable.

Enjoy!

Oops! Edit to add: The light you describe is the ARC LSH with a AA TSP. (Tail Switch Pack) Great light, have one myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
(Second edit - just to be fair to Arc - I dropped an e-mail to Peter at Arc, and had a personal reply, in *under 20 minutes* offering to fix my problem with my Arc AAA. Now, THAT is SERVICE. I'll definitely give Arc another chance by purchasing an LSH.)

At least flashlights aren't (generally) as expensive as the knives I collect - and I can take 'em on an airplane, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll check out the Arc LSH-P, but I gotta tell you, I have the teeny little Arc 1 AAA led light on my lanyard now, and it is almost junk. I have to constanly take it apart and put it back together to realign the + tip of battery inside the foam rubber head piece gasket so that it will light up when needed. Maybe it's too much to expect that a $20 AAA flashlight will work every time you try to use it, but I really expect more from my tools. Hopefully, the LSH-P is a little better engineered.

Edit: Hey, Jackblades! I knew I'd find a 'holic or two here! I can already tell that this place is full of good folks.

Question: I got burnt on my first Microtech, because I hadn't started hanging with the 'holics yet - maybe I can avoid that with my next flashlight... what's the most I should pay for the LSH-P with AA power pack? Is it sold with this power pack attached, or only as an add-on to the standard power pack?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
xrayzebra said:
At least flashlights aren't (generally) as expensive as the knives I collect - and I can take 'em on an airplane, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll check out the Arc LSH-P, but I gotta tell you, I have the teeny little Arc 1 AAA led light on my lanyard now, and it is almost junk. I have to constanly take it apart and put it back together to realign the + tip of battery inside the foam rubber head piece gasket so that it will light up when needed. Maybe it's too much to expect that a $20 AAA flashlight will work every time you try to use it, but I really expect more from my tools. Hopefully, the LSH-P is a little better engineered.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry to hear your misfortune with your Arc AAA - almost all of us here at CPF have never had any problems with it and think of it as a fine tool and flashlight. Contact Peter Gransee of Arc - [email protected] - he will take care of you; he's a great CS person (also the owner of the company... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Dan

JackBlades

Enlightened
Your ARC AAA just needs the hole in the foam washer enlarged a bit.
If you've never seen the LS in action you'll be surprised at it's brightness. I use my Inova X5T instead of the LSH to read in bed because the latter is just too bright!!

Look around the BST forum and you should find a 2nd hand with AA power pack for well under $70......and when the LS4 is released it's my bet that a whole bunch of them will hit the secondary market as folks sell off stuff to get the latest & greatest.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I tried to enlarge the hole and ripped about a third of the washer off in the process. It still works, but still intermittently fails, not as often, but it is annoying when it does. I got it for my wife, but she can't figure out how to make it work again (or won't really try.)

I'm gonna get her something trouble free. Money is not much of a consideration, since it's a personal safety thing. She's blind in one eye, and very nightblind also, so she needs something very dependable and small but bright for negotiating the back stairs and some of the dark, creepy, rarely used corridors in a student art studios building that she frequents. She won't use something that she can't depend on, or has to fuss with, or which can't be easily hung on her neck ID lanyard - so, if I want her to be safe, I have to come up with something bullet proof, light, small, bright, and dependable. Otherwise, she's gonne end up with broken bones.

I got her convinced she needs to drink water often, and not get dehydrated, which totally wears her out. (She's one of those ladies who says "If I drink that much water I'll have to pee more often!") I almost have her convinced that she needs to keep trying flashlights until she finds one that totally suits her instead of bumping into stuff in the dark. Then, all I'll have to do is convince her that she needs a nice little switchblade clipped inside her pocket at all times, eh, Jack?

I also use a flashlight daily for work, inspecting public housing projects. I have to constantly peek into mechanical closets and under sinks and such. Half the residents won't replace their own light bulbs when they burn out, and half of them tape cardboard over their windows, so it's dark inside. The little Arc would be great... I wear it on my neck lanyard with my ID card, and it is sufficient for over half my lighting tasks - when it works. I'm carrying a pen tablet computer in one hand, so the twist-on action is awkward, but less so than pulling out my Streamlight Stinger XT for small spaces, close-up lighting.

What would be just too damn cool would be if I could come up with a very tiny, bright, switchable led light that could plug into my tablet's USB port and utilize the computer's battery, since I have to carry spares for it anyway.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send your Arc-AAA back to Peter. It sounds like you have a roll crimp problem. It's a free fix.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
xrayzebra said:
What would be just too damn cool would be if I could come up with a very tiny, bright, switchable led light that could plug into my tablet's USB port and utilize the computer's battery, since I have to carry spares for it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to your local Best Buy - the notebook accessories section. There's a cheap USB light there made by Kensington - never tried it, but suits your need.

Dan

Gungrefjaert

Newly Enlightened
Welcome.
You sound like a person that'll end up getting trapped in here like the rest of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
This is really a super great place to hang.

Jonas

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm "semi-famous" on Microholics for l-o-n-g rambling off-topics rants and general excessiveness. When I am not working (a few months of the year, I am on the computer all freakin' day, and drop in to the forum several times per day. Luckily (for you all) I am back to work for a few months, or you'd get tired of seeing my name real quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
xrayzebra,
You might as well get two ARc LSH-Ps & save on shipping.
You & your wife will love them. Get your wife the 1X123
version & buy some batteries from ARC at the same time.
The 1x123 is about the size of a roll of lifesavers & is
a must have item. I bought my son & son-in-law each a ARC LS
and my wife & daughter said "where's mine". So I bought the
ladies each one. I thought flashlights were a guy thing, but
women like them too, at least if it's small enough & bright
enough.