My first Surefire (no pics)

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.

After reading up on Surefires and other CPFers opinions I finally placed an order for a Surefire 6P LED (KX4 head). After about a week long wait I picked it up on Saturday, it was in plastic/cardboard packaging which needed to be ripped open in order to get the thing out (theft prevention maybe?).

Initial impressions are that it is of solid build and has very aggressive knurling; I really like the switch, feels bomb proof.

The only light that I can compare this to is a Fenix TK10
- Fenix TK10 225 lumens, Cree XR-E Q5
- Surefire 6P LED 120 lumens, Seoul P4 (not sure on exact model)

By comparison the 6P LED has double the spill of the TK10 but consequently has a less concentrated hot spot; using the ceiling bounce method it appears that the TK10 is brighter (just barely). The 6P LED has a slightly blue tint, making the TK10's appear pure white by comparison.

The only problem that I have noticed is that the KX4 head has the LED enclosed within it, so I'm guessing that it won't be compatible with any drop-ins (not a problem for me but maybe for others).

Now that I have a surefire I truly understand the phrase "Surefire Lumens".

Thanks for reading
Jeremy.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea Surefire updated the 6P Led to 120 lumens.

I love the aggressive knurling on Surefires. Wish the new ones would still use instead of the fluted smooth styling. Really helps with grip, and helps give the light a feel of toughness and quality. Welcome to the Surefire club:thumbsup:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, when I got my first SureFire (a 6P), a parody of a certain military saying kept going through my head:

"This is my SureFire. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

:D

Cole07

Enlightened
Congrats on your first Surefire. I got a new G2 led with a KX4 head about a month ago. Awesome light and its true that Surefire does still under rate their lumens.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your first Surefire. I got a new G2 led with a KX4 head about a month ago. Awesome light and its true that Surefire does still under rate their lumens.

I think it's an even case of other companies over-rating theres as well...it's the only way the can compete. Welcome to the SF club...watch yer wallet!

carrot

Flashaholic
Congrats. You're really one of us now! :devil: We all know you'll find money for your second Surefire sooner than you expect.

And what he said.

Heh, when I got my first SureFire (a 6P), a parody of a certain military saying kept going through my head:

"This is my SureFire. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

:D

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Surefire club eh? too bad I haven't got the money to start up a collection like some of the other members :broke:

Me either but just do what I do; just own a few at a time and buy and sell them on the marketplace to experience different models.

vudoo

Enlightened

So how much do they underrate it buy? I have been looking at Surefires for a while and their outputs all seem alot lower then what is the "norm" these days for something by similar by another competitor.

Cole07

Enlightened
I've heard the E2DL and LX2 are 250+ OTF lumens. And the new KX4's are around 180+ OTF lumens based on a guess. And what the other guy said above, some companies inflate their numbers just to keep themselves competitive.