First Jetbeam: RRT-0

yowzer

Enlightened
I keep hearing good things about Jetbeam lights here, but they're either too expensive for my budget right now, or have UIs I don't like (User-programmable output settings? Nifty! Reverse clicky and soft pressing through them? Not so much. The Jet-III M would be ideal if it was like the Quark Tactical UI where both output modes can be programmed.) I finally splurged and got a RRT-0 and it showed up today.

While I prefer neutral tints and when a light is offered in both NW and cool, I usually get the neutral version, I realized that I didn't have any XP-G powered lights yet... so I went with the new R5 one. It's also my first light with a control ring UI. The RRT-0 was attractive because it has a nice set of outputs for general use and more oomph when needed, and no useless (To me) strobe modes or the like.

The battery versatility -- CR123, RCR123, AA, 14500 -- was also a big selling point. It's got an eneloop in it now; not sure what I'll end up using.... li-ion, but I'm not sure what size yet. Without the AA extension tube, it's still longer than I like for EDC carry in my pants pocket, and I don't like holsters on my belt (Same problem as the Surefire E1 lights have for me). So it'll go in a backpack or jacket pocket either way.

I haven't had it long enough to really put it through its paces, but I have a feeling it's going to bump the Eagletac P100A2 that I currently use at work as a thrower, since it's smaller and brighter. Well built, output levels seem to be as advertised. The XP-G R5 is bluer than I like, but it's tolerable when not white wall hunting. Decent beam, with a nice hotspot and usable spill. I'd prefer a brighter spill area, but it's not so dim as to be unusable for close up floody lighting. I like how it dims when the battery's running low instead of just shutting off. Overall I'm quite happy with it.

EDIT: Took it on a quick walk outside. Doesn't throw as well as I figured it would from the deep reflector (XP-G effect?), but my concerns about the spill brightness were completely unfounded in that setting. Plenty of spill.

EDIT: 5 levels of output but only 4 positions on the control ring? How hard would it have been to add a 5th spot? :thinking:

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
Congrats on your new light! :twothumbs I purchased mine for the same reasons as you and have not been disappointed. The warm or neutral tint wasn't available when I purchased mine. When they became available, I was sort of disappointed, :sigh: but since I have not compaired them side by side, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :shrug: Plus, I've heard the cool tint version throws farther. And that is a big plus for me. :cool:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Did JetBeam improve the clip attachment, or do you guys not bother with it?

yowzer

Enlightened
Did JetBeam improve the clip attachment, or do you guys not bother with it?

I'm not bothering with it. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid that putting the clip on will scratch the light. That's going to happen anyways, but why force it?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G R5 is bluer than I like, but it's tolerable when not white wall hunting. Decent beam, with a nice hotspot and usable spill. I

Yes I agree the tint is blue but not so bad outside, mine has a bit of a donut hole in the hotspot I wish they would have used a textured reflector instead. It's not a thrower so I don't think it would hurt the throw much, it might even help like it does with the donut hole in the P20 with SMO.

On the plus side vs. my R2 version the XPG model has no bad cree rings and the different outputs are so much better spaced out. With my RRT0 R2 the two medium modes are almost identical. With the R2 model I felt the mode previous to the highest mode was to low the XPG model appears to be ~50% of the high mode I like this much better. In fact it almost appear each turn of the selector ring increased or decreases output around 50% each time, again I love how they set this up this time.

Is it better then the R2 model I don't know but if it used a textured reflector and if the tint was not as blue I would say yes no doubt unless you just have to have every inch of throw the R2 model has.

OCD

Enlightened
I have the OP reflector and do not have the donut hole in the beam.

As for the clip, there are several threads (one of which I posted in) on using the Nitecore clip with only minor modifications to the clip. It looks like it was meant for the light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have the OP in the R2 model correct? I was talking about the smooth reflector in the XPG model. My R2 model has not donut either but even with the OP reflector it does have cree rings.

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an RRT-0 after searching several models for a single CR123 light to carry.

So far I'm impressed with the solid feel of the build quality and the lower low setting that can be set. The tail switch is stiff, which I prefer and the quality of the overall build seems rugged enough for EDC. I put the clip on, it's going to get scratched anyway.

While it's not as small as I was looking for, it's more than likely the only light in the single cell size that with a nice design that I'll be able to afford.

The only other option in the small size I really wanted is almost $500, which I'll never be able to justify to myself spending on a single cell flashlight.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's not as small as I was looking for, it's more than likely the only light in the single cell size that with a nice design that I'll be able to afford.

The only other option in the small size I really wanted is almost $500, which I'll never be able to justify to myself spending on a single cell flashlight.

Small size do you have to have cr123 if not try the Jet-I Pro v3 and also the HDS Ra 170 is probably the best cr123 light out there right now that is <$200. The RRT0 is a great though I'm happy with them I love the Raptor line's selector ring, best selector ring out there IMO.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

As for the clip, there are several threads (one of which I posted in) on using the Nitecore clip with only minor modifications to the clip. It looks like it was meant for the light.

Thanks for the tip. :)

yowzer

Enlightened
Used the light more indoors, and tonight I took the RRT-0 and a recently acquired Zebralight SC50w+ out to the wooded park near my house tonight to play.

Either Jetbeam is understating or Zebralight is overstating their respective output levels. I'm guessing the former.

Not bad, but I have lots of other lights I like better for nighttime use in the woods. Next up, carrying it at work to see how well it lights up alleys and parking lots at night, which is more along the lines of what I got the light for.

The burning question remains: 14500 or RCR123 to power it?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The burning question remains: 14500 or RCR123 to power it?

The little SC50 is a real burner for it's size no doubt. I use primary in my RRT0 I think it is just to big with the extender tube for a pocket light and I have some good cr123x2 light's about the same size. I would say use the RCR just to keep the extender tube off but if you are using a holster go with the 14500.

yowzer

Enlightened
The little SC50 is a real burner for it's size no doubt.

I had to stop myself from further raving about the ZL. The great beam, how bright it is, especially on a 14500... argh, you got me started.

I'm leaning more towards 14500/AA on the Jetbeam. It's a bit more comfortable for me to hold while fiddling with the ring one-handed, and I've been trying to stick with AA compatible lights for a number of reasons... But I'm open to compelling arguments for the smaller cell.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
No argument to be had if you find it more comfortable but I will say if you like AA and Jetbeam and don't yet have one try a Jet-I Pro. The beams are identical and the Jet-I is just about a perfect size, sure you lose the selector ring but you gain the IBS programmable UI. No XPG for the Jet-I Pro yet but the NW tint is nice.

yowzer

Enlightened
No argument to be had if you find it more comfortable but I will say if you like AA and Jetbeam and don't yet have one try a Jet-I Pro. The beams are identical and the Jet-I is just about a perfect size, sure you lose the selector ring but you gain the IBS programmable UI. No XPG for the Jet-I Pro yet but the NW tint is nice.

I don't like reverse clickies, or I would have bought it instead.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like reverse clickies, or I would have bought it instead.

Yeh I can understand that and I need to take my RRT0 R5 out and try it a bit more, I just wish the tint was not so cool but I will say I like it much more than the more expensive Nitecore Infilux I'm just not sure if I like the RRT0 XPG better than the XRE model. I knew the throw would be less but the donut whole kind of disappoints me, I would love a textured reflector for it.

yowzer

Enlightened
Yeh I can understand that and I need to take my RRT0 R5 out and try it a bit more, I just wish the tint was not so cool but I will say I like it much more than the more expensive Nitecore Infilux I'm just not sure if I like the RRT0 XPG better than the XRE model. I knew the throw would be less but the donut whole kind of disappoints me, I would love a textured reflector for it.

I almost got the Infilux, but between lots of reports of the control ring action being gritty and hard to access really low output with, and the extra price, went with the Jetbeam instead. No regrets about that. I figure for a variable output light with a super low output in its range, I should just save up and get a SF Titan.

The XP-G donut is there on walls, but it's not noticeable in actual use (I've also never really been bothered by XR-E rings...)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to turn the RRT0 into something else but since we are talking XPG and you mention you love your zebralight have you seen the SC60 yet on ZL website, I love the ZL's as well so I had to pre-order one.

I know you mention trying to stay with AA and the SC60 is 18650 only but it's only 4inches long about the same as the light's we have been discussing, it's a turbo charged SC50. Now you got me talking Zebralight, see it works both ways.

yowzer

Enlightened
Not trying to turn the RRT0 into something else but since we are talking XPG and you mention you love your zebralight have you seen the SC60 yet on ZL website, I love the ZL's as well so I had to pre-order one.

I know you mention trying to stay with AA and the SC60 is 18650 only but it's only 4inches long about the same as the light's we have been discussing, it's a turbo charged SC50. Now you got me talking Zebralight, see it works both ways.

I'm definitely going to get a H51 when the neutral white version is out. Still mulling over the SC60. I'm going to have to bite the 18650 bullet at some point to play with some of the super high output SST and MC-E lights, so...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already pre-ordered the H51 and SC60 I couldn't help it, Zebralight seems to know how to push my buttons right now.

Ok getting back to the RRT0 IMO you made the right decision with the Infilux not only because all the reasons you already mentioned but also the RRT0 R5 actually appears a bit brighter and the outputs on the RRT0 are so well spaced out you really dont need the infinite variable ring like on the Infilux.

Maybe they will work some of these issues out with the AA model Infilux and you can look it over again then.