Old timer with newbie Mag questions...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the need to mod a 2D Mag up to today's standards. It's been a long time since I kept up on any of this stuff, and now I'm totally confused on what parts I'll need.

I *think* I want to use a P7 emitter at about 12 watts.
I want to power it with 2 D size (unprotected) lithium ions. I'll be using a UCL glass lens.

Major questions:
1. Who makes a heatsink I can use?
2. Who makes an aluminum reflector I can use with the heatsink?
3. What is a cheap driver I can use at full power from 7.2v lithium ion? It needs to protect the batteries but I don't care about "modes" other than high.

I've been browsing kaidomain for most of this stuff but some of their descriptions leave me with more questions than answers...:thinking:

I would like a reflector with a good mix of spill and throw. Get rid of the "adjustable" type mag beam I think...

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as drivers go, I've seen guys have good results with this driver, but some of the components are being ran out of spec. It's like anything else really, you get what you pay for. Here are two more cheap options, but I haven't read anything good or bad about these. Click here and here.

Click here and have a look a CPF member Torchboy's driver list for other options. A driver from George at TaskLED or a driver from the Sandwich Shoppe would be MUCH better quality, but you may not want to spend the money. Also, have you considered an SSR/T-50 or 90 instead of the P7?

I think KD and DX offer some reflectors, but I don't have any experience with them (I always use the stock reflector), so I thought I'd recommend another option if you're interested (you may not be)- It's called sputtering- click here to check it out.

Heatsinks- Click here and here.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taskled's Hipflex driver has voltage warning and cut off functions
build into the board. I am not sure whether any other board offers
this but using unprotected li-ions it is a definite must.
It is very versatile with various modes and functions but it does not
fit inside a Mag D tube with some modding and the Mag switch has
to be converted to momentary (search for threads by member Wquiles)

Member Hill used the Hipflex in one of his Mag builds and shows how to
make the board fit a Mag D tube

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238752

I use KDs 52mm OP Mag reflector (S006166) with good results

dougw

Newly Enlightened
Is it better to modify a regular or an LED Maglite and as I have to start from scratch, would 2D be the best size?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it better to modify a regular or an LED Maglite and as I have to start from scratch, would 2D be the best size?

:welcome:

I can't really answer your question because there are too many variables, and not enough info. It depends on what emitter you want to use, what driver, what battery type, how many batteries etc., etc.

The newer LED Mag reflectors are deeper than the standard Mag reflector, so that reflector won't work with the two most commonly available heatsinks without some type of modification. The body tube, tailcap and head are the same to the best of my knowledge, but there are some switch housing differences. Basically you either need to figure out exactly what you want before you purchase the host, or if you already have the host, you can buy the parts that will work with the host you have.

Last edited:

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, have you considered an SSR/T-50 or 90 instead of the P7?
Kinda. What is the difference, exactly? Those are higher output versions?

I'm a little confused with these new quad die emitters - each die can be wired in series or parallel, is that correct?

Basically I'd like to get around 2 hours run time out of a 7.2v, 5Ah pack, and I want as much light from ~2.5 amps as possible.

I still remember the day I got my "EverLED" 1 watt Mag drop in - 30 lumens maybe? WOW it's SO bright! :sssh:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda. What is the difference, exactly? Those are higher output versions?

I'm a little confused with these new quad die emitters - each die can be wired in series or parallel, is that correct?

Basically I'd like to get around 2 hours run time out of a 7.2v, 5Ah pack, and I want as much light from ~2.5 amps as possible.

I still remember the day I got my "EverLED" 1 watt Mag drop in - 30 lumens maybe? WOW it's SO bright! :sssh:

I'd say the two largest benefits of an SST-50 or 90 is higher output and a doughnut free beam. You won't benefit from the higher output at 3A, so you may be better off with an MC-E or P7, but both are quad die, as you mentioned, and that's what creates the doughnut hole. If you're going with an OP reflector you probably won't notice a doughnut, so it's probably not an issue. I think you can expect roughly 500 ish OTF lumens with either one driven at 3A.

The MC-E can be wired in series, which basically means you would supply vf to each die instead of all dies together as a whole, if that makes sense. Basically, you could look at each die as a separate emitter. Think 4 XR-E's under the same dome :D.

For your needs/wants, you should probably stick to an MC-E wired parallel, or a P7.

Last edited: