Kroll Issue - stuck on (resolved =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargehead

Newly Enlightened
Hi ppl!

I recently recieved my Arc LS Standard, Low dome. It's great! I haven't used it extensively, but wow is it handy! Not sure if it's the perfect EDC, but comes close. I've lost several flashlights lately (or had their bulbs *burn out*, quite a historic idea for most of you here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif), and found myself without one for some time. SO it was great to have this tough, tiny, bright, long lasting little guy sitting on my desk or resting in my pocket so neatly...

..but it's not a perfect world we live in... Here I was, gleefully shining about, and slipped it in my pocket. A few minutes later, I pulled it out, and I'd left it on! Oops. So I press it off. No, wait, it's still on...

I was fairly disturbed to find that my flashlight no longer would shut off. It was fairly warm by them, and I have not all that many batteries (not that I've needed them so far). So I unscrewed the Krull tailswitch and took a look. On casual inspection, I saw nothing amiss. I immediately came to CPF (remembering a thread on 'Kroll maintanence' or somesuch). Seeing nothing imediately, I took a closer look. Such a simple device, I couldn't see quite how it could fail.

Luckily a closer inspection revealed the problem. The contact had lodged into the spring (the name I forget, the ont visible on the side), keeping it in the 'On' position. Some gentle twisting and fiddling brought it back into shape. Cancel the emergency, no hasty emails to Peter. All is well.

Anyway, I took some pics, to demonstrate the situation (honestly, I got a new macro light for my digicam and was just testing it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) Here you go!

Kroll switch, 'off' position:
KrollOff01.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures when it was actually stuck, but I can attempt to indicate what I mean.

Kroll switch, 'on' position (arrow indicates contact terminal):
KrollOn01.jpg

Kroll switch, 'off' posistion (arrow indicates where contact terminal got 'stuck'):
KrollOff02.jpg

Anyway, as said, everything works now. I must say I'm mildly dissapointed that this is even an issue. I know Arc does not design or manufacture these switches, but it is unfortunate taht they must live with what I feel is an obvious design flaw that should have been fixed. The issues with the Kroll switch I've heard of seem like they should be fixable without too drastic a design change.

Well, if I can find the will to try and justify the (admittedly quite extravagent, in my case at least) expenditure for the LS4, I trust such issues are resolved... It seems as if it will be a bundle, though! I may have to 'settle' with this 'regular' LS!

Woe is me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Hopefully I wont have this problem again. Otherwise, this light is awesome!! I wouldn't call myself a flashaholic, but with fun things like these about, I may be soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great work Peter, a bit 'o' trouble, but I love it still!

Also, beamshot attached:

BeamShot01.jpg

Again, this is the LS Standard Low-Dome. This image has been lightly altered to more closely resemble what I see. I'm not sure if my monitor is calibrated, but you get the idea, eh?

-Chargehead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.