Need some info on wireless routers and laptop/notebooks

BUZ

Enlightened
I have always used wired connections for my PC and laptops and recently decided to upgrade the laptop and try a wireless router. I do some banking and other things online and need to be certain that nobody is going to be able to steal my WIFI or see what I'm doing.

I got a netgear router (has an on/off) button on the side that allows me to disable the wireless signal while not in use. I have done the following to secure the router:

Changed the login password

Changed SSID

Changed the encrition setting to wpa2 psk aes if I remember correctly and added strong passphrase

Enabled MAC filtering

Disable broadcast (SSID)

Will I need to change any other settings on the router or should this be sufficient?

Was watching a video on youtube and the poster of the video said something about (changing encryption on your wireless network card)? anyone know what he meant?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
You've nailed all the standard ones. One extra one: turn down the signal strength. It will minimize both snooping and discovery.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Having WPA2 on and using a strong password are the major points, the others are optional.

Be creative with your SSID name, I usually go with something scary-sounding like VirusTest

BUZ

Enlightened
You've nailed all the standard ones. One extra one: turn down the signal strength. It will minimize both snooping and discovery.

Have any idea how to do that on a netgear router? Are netgear routers any good or should I go with another brand?

Having WPA2 on and using a strong password are the major points, the others are optional.

Be creative with your SSID name, I usually go with something scary-sounding like VirusTest

That's a good idea, will try to think of something uninviting.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I have a netgear wpn824. It works great, one of the better routers I have every owned, and the placement of ours is not ideal for the coverage area. Programming it is easy with any browser.

I could not recommend Linksys routers to anyone. The ones I have used (mine and daughter's ) had poor range, and strange compatability problems. By poor range, I mean like 6 ft.

Last edited:

BUZ

Enlightened
I have one other question that maybe someone could answer for me. I have my desktop PC connected via wire/ethernet cable to my wireless router that (I use for banking and some other sensitive stuff) and I don't want anyone gaining access to. I also have my laptop that I use around the house that is connected via WIFI.

Is there any way to make sure the two are totally separate from each other, IE not able to communicate in case someone gained control of my wireless connection/laptop? The laptop is used for browsing only not going to secure sites.

Should I just turn my PC off while using wireless or is that not necessary?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The only way to take control of your computer would be to get into the network, and now that you have it locked down, that's not going to happen. (Those looking to break into others' computers will instead focus on the unsecured networks and ignore yours.)

It's actually very handy to have computers work together over a network, to be able to move files freely so that you don't have to redundantly store the same files and can share programs..

BUZ

Enlightened
The only way to take control of your computer would be to get into the network, and now that you have it locked down, that's not going to happen. (Those looking to break into others' computers will instead focus on the unsecured networks and ignore yours.)

It's actually very handy to have computers work together over a network, to be able to move files freely so that you don't have to redundantly store the same files and can share programs..

Thanks for the info! Just been watching some videos on youtube of hackers in cafe's and others that drive through neighborhoods looking to hack and gain access to peoples networks, just want to take zero chance or at least minimize it as much as possible.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info! Just been watching some videos on youtube of hackers in cafe's and others that drive through neighborhoods looking to hack and gain access to peoples networks, just want to take zero chance or at least minimize it as much as possible.

Like StarHalo said, your network doesn't have to be impenetrable, it just has to be more of a pain to access without authorization than the networks down the street.

For example, at my house, out of 10+ networks that I can see, I have the only WPA2-secured network. All the rest but one are WEP or open(!), so the odds of somebody trying to hack me are pretty slim.

BUZ

Enlightened
Like StarHalo said, your network doesn't have to be impenetrable, it just has to be more of a pain to access without authorization than the networks down the street.

For example, at my house, out of 10+ networks that I can see, I have the only WPA2-secured network. All the rest but one are WEP or open(!), so the odds of somebody trying to hack me are pretty slim.

So there are no security type settings on my laptop that need to be enabled? Just as long as the router/access point is secure I should be good to go?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So there are no security type settings on my laptop that need to be enabled? Just as long as the router/access point is secure I should be good to go?

As long as you have an anti-virus/malware, yes. If you don't, the Microsoft Security Essentials program is free over on the Microsoft site.

Also, Internet Explorer has severe security issues; use Firefox or Chrome, either are also free.

BUZ

Enlightened
As long as you have an anti-virus/malware, yes. If you don't, the Microsoft Security Essentials program is free over on the Microsoft site.

Also, Internet Explorer has severe security issues; use Firefox or Chrome, either are also free.

Was using NOD32 however had some problems so I switched to Norton security suite 2010 since it's free from comcast (seems to be ok). Also have malwarebytes.

Using firefox 3.6

Thanks for the info everyone!!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
A couple more optional suggestions to lock things down further -

* Turn off DHCP and hard-code your IP address.

* Set your network mask to something small that will only allow your machine and the router. A /30 mask will restrict the network to three IP addresses at any one time. A /30 netmask would be 255.255.255.252 instead of the usual 255.255.255.0 (which is a 24 bit mask and allows over 200 IP addresses on your network).

BUZ

Enlightened
A couple more optional suggestions to lock things down further -

* Turn off DHCP and hard-code your IP address.

* Set your network mask to something small that will only allow your machine and the router. A /30 mask will restrict the network to three IP addresses at any one time. A /30 netmask would be 255.255.255.252 instead of the usual 255.255.255.0 (which is a 24 bit mask and allows over 200 IP addresses on your network).

Does this look right? I will still be able to use my desktop and laptop with no problems correct?

iwltug.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, that looks correct. There are just enough IPs in a /30 mask for your desktop, your laptop and the router itself. Nobody else can squeeeze in with another IP.

BUZ

Enlightened
Yes, that looks correct. There are just enough IPs in a /30 mask for your desktop, your laptop and the router itself. Nobody else can squeeeze in with another IP.

I applied the settings and shortly after I was getting an unable to connect page. Reset my router and re-entered all the settings and works again. Will mess with/try the settings again tomorrow and see if I can get them to work.

Thanks again for the info!

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new laptop. How do I reconfigure my router? Sorry I have the dreaded LinkSys, I can't get another just now. Can it all be done via my PC? Nothing is enabled right now. Also am considering Norton 2010 since I haven't added anything yet.

Last edited:

PapaGary

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new laptop. How do I reconfigure my router? Sorry I have the dreaded LinkSys, I can't get another just now. Can it all be done via my PC? Nothing is enabled right now. Also am considering Norton 2010 since I haven't added anything yet.
Why all the hate for Lynksys? I've used Lynksys routers and switches for years without a hitch. Right now I'm using a Lynksys cable modem and wireless router through which runs two laptops and a wireless printer. To configure your wireless system download the Lynksys Easylink Advisor from the Lynksys site and you'll be golden.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Also am considering Norton 2010 since I haven't added anything yet.

I would advise against Norton if you don't already have it installed; If you want to go the paid route, NOD32 is the champ. If you don't want to pay, Microsoft Security Essentials is free on the Microsoft website.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could I get some examples of settings to use? Or is it similar to Buz setup?