Looking for a small blinking LED light for running at night.

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small safety light for running at night. I had seen one before that ran on small coin cells, i believe it had a blinking led at each end.

I cant remember the brand though.

Anything come to mind?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been looking for something like that for horseback riding at night. I have to cross a busy state highway near my farm. I ended up finding a 16 LED traffic vest that blinks. I was pretty reasonably priced at Northern Tool.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK these are very easy to find,many stores stock a little twin pack with elasticated fittings so you can add them to anything,about the size say 1" square.Sold here mainly for cycles as one is white led and the other red.I live on a dark unlit road that leads to the biggest hospital in North Wales and many joggers have them on there running clothes both front and back,they are also multi mode.

Here is a link with pic and details for you to give you an idea.

www.halfords.com On site select bikes then bike lights.

Power Mini Dual LED Bike Light Set

Features and Benefits:
2 x Extra Bright LEDs per light
Latest light focusing technology
Steady and flashing modes
Long lasting lithium batteries
Water resistant
Use on a bike, luggage and clothing
Rear light colour - Red casing with red LEDs
Front light colour - Blue casing with white LEDs

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try a bicycle (cycling) shop as well. They'll probably have some simple clip-on flashing lights.

I had one years ago that was 3 leds in a standard type red reflector, so it blinked AND reflected back headlights as well; useful if the batteries happen to die while your out.

For a battery-free solution, some people here have recommended those lightweight reflective vests. When light hits them they light up really bright! But you'd probably want an active light source too (or I would anyway!)

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I usually wear reflective clothing when I run, especially in low light. Im looking for something more for when I leave close to, or after sunset.

I just came across the pelican mini flasher, almost exactly what I had in mind, and the price is right too, about 10 bucks on brightguy.

carrot

Flashaholic
What you are looking for is the Planet Bike Super Flash. Despite the name this blinky is ideal for joggers. It has a strong plastic clip so you can clip it to your waistband or collar and is VERY bright. To my knowledge the PBSF is the brightest blinky out there and is popular with my weekly night skate group. When you're flying through NYC traffic at night it helps to get attention and be seen.

It also runs on AAA's instead of pitiful coin cells, so longevity is great and it's easy to replace batteries.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
When I was buying my Road ID, I noticed the Firefly on their website as well. I have no experience with it, but it seems to meet your criteria.

Check out their ID products while you're there too. :)

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
That planet bike light is crazy. If I rode at night in traffic I would certainly own one... but I think its a little too much for running, I think the intense flashing would start to annoy me during a long run.

I like the road id light, and I should really order a wristband too.

carrot

Flashaholic
The PBSF has a steady/constant mode as well. If you just put it on the back of your waistband you'll never see it anyway.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
It also runs on AAA's instead of pitiful coin cells, so longevity is great and it's easy to replace batteries.

I'd suggest a Photon Freedom Micro for running. Extremely light, multiple modes (including 3 different beacon modes), available in different color LEDs, can be attached wherever you need it with either the included clip or you can use 2 velcro dots.

It may use "pitiful" coin cells, but it has a run time of ~120 hours while the SuperFlash uses 2 AAAs and runs for ~100 hours. The SuperFlash is also quite a bit heavier. Not an issue on a bike, but certainly is for a runner.

bansuri

Enlightened
CFR has the Guardian for a good price, pick up a Photon Freedom Micro while you're there. Seems like lighter is definitely better for this application, if you were walking I'd suggest a Nitize Spot-Lit but they're rugged and heavy and would eventually wear out whatever they were attached to when running or jogging.
Seems like a fixed flasher in back and a hand-held in front would give you good coverage.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd suggest a Photon Freedom Micro for running. Extremely light, multiple modes (including 3 different beacon modes), available in different color LEDs, can be attached wherever you need it with either the included clip or you can use 2 velcro dots.

It may use "pitiful" coin cells, but it has a run time of ~120 hours while the SuperFlash uses 2 AAAs and runs for ~100 hours. The SuperFlash is also quite a bit heavier. Not an issue on a bike, but certainly is for a runner.
Don't get me wrong I love the Photon Freedom and I have some stashed everywhere but I would not feel comfortable hoping a driver would see it at night. I prefer a light that is more visible from the side, since the light from the Freedom is pretty directional.

If the Super Flash really is too big and heavy the Spot-Lit seems to me it would be a much better alternative to the Photon Freedom since its light is not directional the way the Photon's is. I have recent iterations of each sitting on my desk, BTW.

Another option would be the Glo-Toob, which was designed as a marker light for scuba divers and the military but is easily pressed into service by joggers and cyclists as it is lightweight, bright and reliable.

But really I honestly think your best bet is the PBSF. It is not very heavy and much brighter than all the ones suggested so far. As Fargus mentioned, runtime on AAAs is phenomenal.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Don't get me wrong I love the Photon Freedom and I have some stashed everywhere but I would not feel comfortable hoping a driver would see it at night. I prefer a light that is more visible from the side, since the light from the Freedom is pretty directional.

Hmmm, since the introduction of the "To The Max" version of the Photon Freedom, they are pretty bright. As long as the OP uses the standard versions and not the one with the covert shield, the illuminating radius of the completely exposed LED assembly is quite large. I use the covert version (not for running) because I find the standard versions without the little plastic shield are quite blinding at night. I'm sure there are many other options for runners as well. Quite a few very bright headlamps have clips to attach to a belt or waistband that could be serviceable as well.

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I actually just ordered the pelican mini flasher. I really liked the built in clip and 360 degree lighting. If i feel its not visible enough then I will probably purchase the planet bike light.