Anyone with security camera DVR experience?

cityevader

Enlightened
Well, I've had a bicycle stolen off my condo's patio awhile ago, and now some bbq supplies. Therefore, it's time to get an outdoor day/night camera DVR setup. I only need a single camera, and more inconspoicuous the better, wireless unecessary.
There are quite a few systems with seemingly identical features in the $300 range, such as motion activation. Are there particular things to look for that makes one superior? Or any brands/types to watch out for?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might look at trail or game cameras before you spend any money. They've served me well.

InTheDark

Enlightened
I've installed a few lower end systems before. From my experience, most of them in that price range are basically identical. I am almost positive some of them are probably the manufacturer marketed under different labels.

One thing you need to consider is what exactly do you want to try and capture. With the cheaper systems, the effective range of the cameras is maybe about 10-15 feet, even less at night. Even though you'll be able to see movement and people at much greater distance, but won't make out any recognizable features so it really isn't going to help much.

The most important thing I would recommend is make sure you look at the RECORDING resolution of the DVR, NOT the camera resolution or live view resolution. Most of the systems in that price range will view at 720x480 (called 4CIF), but will only record at a quarter of that resolution to cut down on the processing. It's tricky because you really have to look for those specs. There are some that will record a full 4CIF, but they're not as common. And don't get caught up too much on the marketing of the camera resolution, anything more than 420-480 TV lines is going to outperform the DVR you're recording on.

Even though you said you only need one camera, I recommend getting at least the 4 camera systems. Each camera has a very limited field of view and range, so unless you only plan on monitoring one single item at close range it's not going to work very well. Even a small patio will require multiple cameras to cover it.

Also, motion detection is great, but not essential. For multiple camera systems it saves hard drive space and makes it a lot easier to search through specific events, but all the systems I've seen automatically overwrite old footage, so space really isn't an issue.

Last edited:

cityevader

Enlightened
My patio is a small 10x10 or so, with 4ft "fence" and gate. But I guess two cameras would be better, one at each end of the balcony. However, that would make one of them very visible to the neighbor who I believe (they or their many friends coming over) are "problematic". Although one pointed through the tiny window may work as well. There is an awful lot of ambient lighting outside the porch with tons of very bright ballards, so comings and goings are no problem, just porch itself kinda dark.

I saw a $500 stand alone DVR (Security Labs SLD251B) refurbished for under $200, and then I could get whatever type of camera separately.

I usually enter/exit via the garage, so sometimes it's several days before I'm on the patio to notice anything amiss. So that's why motion detection would be nice.

It sure would be nice to find out who occassionally leaves a cigarette butt on my patio!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I own a surveillance company (link).
The information you've been provided with is pretty accurate.

You want to have as much coverage as possible, the focus of that coverage should be to fill the frame with 1/8 to 1/4 of the persons face. That will make identifying easier. Ideally When I setup a system I place a wide camera to capture what happened and a zoomed in camera to make identifying the person possible.

I understand that you want to know who is coming on your property however, is their presence and whatever they steal worth more than the cost of a system? What if you added a couple dummy dome cameras? If the area is well lit and the person sees cameras, more often than not they will be deterred.

If you are in the US check out supercircuits. they have decent equipment at fair prices.

cityevader

Enlightened
Part of the reason is vengence/justice to try to catch and prove someone took something, asswuming of course they can even be identified, not so much as a deterrent. Now that i'm thinking, a camera could be well placed to look face on with someone opening the gate, a huge plus, in addition to the planned overview one.
I used to get supercircuit catalogs a few years ago, and they seemed quite expensive at the time.

And yes, the bike I already lost was equal/greater than the camera system. My fault for forgetting it on the patio, someone else's fault for taking it.

stevep

Newly Enlightened
You are doing the right thing by getting the cameras.The thieves my get bolder and attempt a break in.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you've found something that interests you I'd be happy to tell you what I think.

Also, if you're planning on only getting 1 camera, look into IP cameras. You'll get a higher resolution picture and it's already on your computer, so printing it out is very easy.

InTheDark

Enlightened
If you do decide to go with multiple cameras, buying a complete package will save you money over buying everything individually. Even the cheap cameras that come with the package deals will cost you $50-$75 each if bought individually.

Here is a similar system that I've used before.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

It's a decent system, you will have a very hard time putting together a comparable system for that price. This isn't the cheapest one available at costco, but it's the cheapest one with better recording resolution. Just don't expect Vegas style surveillance for this kind of money, the quality is not that great with these systems. That's why I recommend getting multiple cameras, you can make up for the lack of quality with the quantity of cameras, up to a point. Also, the motion recording on this system wasn't as good as their previous versions, so I stopped using motion recording and just do full time. But being able to view it remotely on an Iphone more than makes up for that.

If you try and record though a window, it won't work at night when the IR leds come one. All you'll get is backreflection unless you use a separate IR illuminator. Also be careful on positioning, you don't want it pointing at any light sources or you'll just end up with a sillouette of the figure you're trying to catch.

If you don't want the cameras to be visible, you can either disguise them in some sort of housing (i.e. bird house or trash can), or you can get micro cameras which are really tiny and unnoticable. But maybe having them noticable isn't a bad thing, I'd rather my stuff not get stolen at all rather being able to identify a complete stranger taking it. Even if you capture them in the act, what will you really be able to do with it?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I've had good luck with Supercircuits, very helpful on the phone. All kinds of wireless, computer capture, etc. The cheapest way to go would be a small TV with built in VCR, and an 8hr. tape. DVR is very convenient, but $$$ B&W 13"TV w/vcr can probably be had for under $100, freeing $ up for a decent camera.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another consideration is how much lighting is available at night. If the patio area is well lit, fine. If it's dimly lit you might do well to invest in an outboard IR illuminator. The illuminators with banks of 5mm IR LEDs would probably be enough to cover a small area, but an illuminator based on a high power LED will have more throw.

I've seen halogen-based illuminators with IR filters in front of them. These run very hot, use a lot of power and emit a dim but visible red glow if you're looking directly at it. The LED-based illuminators are completely invisible as long as they're rated at 900nm or longer wavelength.

Good luck. I hope you catch him!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Another approach you may want to consider is just put additional lighting with/without motion activation, and perhaps a beam triggered alarm if they walk past it...silent would alert you at home, audible would freak them out.

I say this as a cheaper alternative because even if you capture someone on a camera, there's no way to prove they had anything to do with your earlier thefts. Of course, you could always bait him with a brand new BBQ and bicycle, but what if it's someone you have never seen before? Would the police accept your 'evidence' enough to go looking for him, since it would not likely hold up in a courtroom?

cityevader

Enlightened
It may not be a nighttime operation either. This condo complex is a ghost town at any time day or night. People are almost NEVER outside. We all drive into our garages after work and close the door, only to reopen them as we're leaving the next morning. And my address is....