Secret Service stole my light!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pissed Secret Service stole my flashlight! On July 15th we did the LG Chem ground breaking show in Holland Michigan that Obama attended. When a President comes to an event we can have about anything we want (Leathermans knifes anything but a gun) as long as it is in the building before the Secret Service does there sweep. So before we left for the sweep I took my light and Leatherman Charge off my belt and put it in my backpack and left them under the lighting console. When we returned my bag was open and the 6P was gone from the holster! This was no ordinary 6P it was tricked out with a SS bezel UCL lens McClicky tail cap, Nailbender SST50 three level 4500K LED and AW18650 battery. Over $200 worth of light!

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
They must have feared your stunning 'strobe' mode could incapacitate the POTUS.

Sorry for your loss......will they not return it later? If not, isn't that theft?

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Ouch!! :eek: I don't really know what to tell you. But, that just is not cool. Maybe they thought you would try to blind him or something?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you report the crime?

Luckily, the Bill of Rights gives you the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. Hopefully you reported the crime.

Also, I'm not really sure someone in the Secret Service would do such a thing. Maybe a lower-paid member of Homeland Security in general, but I doubt even that.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Did you report the crime?

Maybe Obama needed to see the light, with all the crap thats been going around lately.

Hope you get reimbursed

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
I hope they don't come onto the forum and start knocking off each of us that know about it one by one. :tinfoil:

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Did you report the crime?

Also, I'm not really sure someone in the Secret Service would do such a thing. Maybe a lower-paid member of Homeland Security in general, but I doubt even that.

Right I was doing a show many years ago and sitting in a booth all day with two agents all they cared about was what bar they where going to that night. Plus they had a great many off color stories they are just regular people and not above anything.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
That story makes me sick! It's bad enough when the bumbling, groping fascist neanderthals from TSA were stealing ipods etc from troops en route to Iraq. :thumbsdowNow one of the most elite branches of law enforcement has apparently lowered its standards. SCUM! a betrayal of trust and an abuse of power. makes me want to puke! I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That story makes me sick! It's bad enough when the bumbling, groping fascist neanderthals from TSA were stealing ipods etc from troops en route to Iraq. :thumbsdowNow one of the most elite branches of law enforcement has apparently lowered its standards. SCUM! a betrayal of trust and an abuse of power. makes me want to puke! I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Assuming a Secret Service Agent did it.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened

Larbo

Enlightened
Its a shame you didnt leave instructions on charging the battery with the light.....

1- hook up cables to car battery
2- hook up cables to battery while holding it in your mouth

Hope you get the light back.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
*always keep things you want to keep about your person*

Tractor man

Newly Enlightened
Man, that really sucks bro:thumbsdow. Why the hell cant folk just leave other peoples things alone. Anyone with half a brain would be able to see it is just a harmless flashlight, so chances are someone has just swipped it for they self. I know how you must be feeling, as I have had similar experiences in the past, and it really gets my goat...

I hope you get it back...

TM

hotlight

Enlightened
this isn't meant to be troll bait.

before my intro to investigation class one day, me and the instructor were having a cig outside...

out of no where he tells me(not exact quote):

"you know that ___%(can't remember but it was a high number) of law enforcement people have the same personality as criminals"....

not sure what he was getting at....

there are some bad apples out there protecting and serving us.

EDIT: sorry to hear about your light
this is when a ugly "sleeper light" can be useful

Last edited:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard for me to believe the Secret Service would steal your light.I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation.BTW-I would be in tears if I lost a light like that.Here's hoping it is returned to it's owner.

........law enforcement people have the same personality as criminals"....

I studied Criminology and Psychology at University and was taught this fact in both classes.

Apparently "it takes a thief to catch a thief".

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have covered hundreds of Presidential Trips over the last 18 years, and have never had anything stolen during the sweep.

I have worried others may get in ahead of me and take something, but I doubt Service stole your light.

When I turn and leave the area for the sweep, I am leaving $50.000 behind. Never had a problem, but I have worried. Again about others, and not the protective detail.

Also, it is sometimes the US Military EOD people who run the dogs over our gear, and most of the time they never look inside. I set mine up in a way I know if it was opened. I Don't care, just want to know.

Still, I doubt the EOD people will steal anything as they have a serious job at hand and seem focused.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Also, were you the last to leave? I always make sure I am the last out. Then try to be first in.

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Ouch, I know your angry and also sad about your loss for your precious. Those secret service looks like flashaholics too. Anyway, there's a saying: "what goes around comes around". :shakehead.