Solarforce battery problems

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have a quit question for the Solarforce aficionados...

Someone I know just got a 1 cell 123 Solarforce light in. He couldn't get it to work. He then discovered that it is taking more power than 1 primary 123 cell can produce... But, a rechargeable 123 battery will apparently work.

Here are his comments:

Well, I figured out the problem. I used a ac/dc converter and applied a 3 volt signal to the light and -nothing-. I stepped it up to 4vdc and voila'.........works like a charm. A trip to the local batteries plus to find some rechargeable 123's and they're not selling them anymore because the higher V output would fry standard bulbs. I just ordered up the 18650 body form the same supplier and I should be able to use my 19650 rechargeables with no further issues.

I too am awaiting a Solarforce LED light that is just a 1 cell light (it's that one with the killer bezel on it). Anyway - I am wondering if his is an anomaly, or if this is how all of their 1 cell lights work....

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
My guess would be that he has received an L2m with a 3.7-8.4 volt LED module in it....
The proper LED module for the L2m is the 0.8-4.2 volt LED module, this module will work very well with (1) CR123A battery.
Hope this helps....
- Jim Douglas II
Solarforce-USA

shipwreck

Enlightened
Well, as I think I will have the same problem, as I am awaiting delivery of a similar 1 cell Solarforce - any better options on the charger and battery? Admittedly, I didn't plan on buying this, so I'm trying to stay on the cheap...

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
My three Solarforces have the low voltage dropins fitted ... These are available on Ebay for £8-30 including delivery ... I prefer the three mode ones as I don't need the strobe and SOS of the five mode ... One of my Solarforces has a single mode fitted so my Wife can use it without messing about with changing modes.

If you use the longer body , then two CR123s will fit and your original dropin will work ... I only use 18650 batteries in mine and I get two and a half hours on the high mode.