Newest version Inova X03 vs Inova T2-MP

shipwreck

Enlightened
This past weekend, I saw the newest version of the XO3 at Target - it was rated at 143 lumens.

My older version XO3 puts out around 85 or 85. And, I have a T2-MP Inova that puts out 140. I thought I'd give this new one a try, and I went and picked one up today.

This evening, it finally got dark, and I got to try it. I was disappointed...

It does put out a bit more light than the older Xo3, but it doesn't touch the T2-MP (rated at 140 lumens). Also, the light is super cool. I have several Eagletacs with the cool LED - however, this was even whiter.

I just got back from Target - I returned it. It is admittedly harder to compare the light to my other lights because of the light being SO cool - but I found that it was underpowered compared to what they claim the lumen rating is... (either that, or my T2-MP puts out more than the claimed 140 lumens)

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
The T2-MP is very bright, and quite happy to own it. Plan to go for new version XO3 next week, but read your finding here, so the purchase stops. Thanks :D

shipwreck

Enlightened
The T2-MP is very bright, and quite happy to own it. Plan to go for new version XO3 next week, but read your finding here, so the purchase stops. Thanks :D

No problem. I was really disappointed, as I expected it to be much better than it was. Thankfully, things are easy to return at places like Target and Wal-Mart.

Do you have any other Inovas?

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
No problem. I was really disappointed, as I expected it to be much better than it was. Thankfully, things are easy to return at places like Target and Wal-Mart.

Do you have any other Inovas?

From your recommendation lately, now I own 3 T2-MP, One each of T3-MP, T4-MP, and AA size 85 lumens. My men are ordering 5 more T2-MP. I do not know in the long run on durability and performance. But my men will be using T2-MP in their tactical missions (counter terrorism). For me I like its simple, yet elegant and classic, designs. SF Scorpion LED is our another collectibles/using.
Tks for input on XO3 :thumbsup:

shipwreck

Enlightened
Ok. Glad to hear that you like the lights.

I had an incandescent scorpion for 13-14 years. I haven't tried the LED version yet.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Ok. Glad to hear that you like the lights.

I had an incandescent scorpion for 13-14 years. I haven't tried the LED version yet.

Used to have one Scorpion Xenon but lost it last year. Never had a chance to use it in tough jobs. How is it (durability, reliability) ? Does the xenon bulb need to change often ? How much for the spare bulb ?
Tks for any input. I may buy one as the size might be good for my foot patrols ;)

shipwreck

Enlightened
Used to have one Scorpion Xenon but lost it last year. Never had a chance to use it in tough jobs. How is it (durability, reliability) ? Does the xenon bulb need to change often ? How much for the spare bulb ?
Tks for any input. I may buy one as the size might be good for my foot patrols ;)

Skip it. I mounted it on a gun for a while a few years ago. The bulb kept falling out of the socket whenever I walked with my carbine hanging on the sling (as the rifle bounced while walking). No matter how many times I put it back and tried to bend the wires on the bulb (to put some extra tension to keep it from slipping out), it continued to do it.

I took it off the gun after a few times, but kept the light on my night stand until last year. Anytime the light dropped, the bulb kept coming out. I finally threw it away earlier this year. I'd had the thing since 96 or 97, so I figured I got my use out of it. And, I had bought it way back before there were all these LED lights.

I think replacement bulbs are like $6 or $7, but I wouldn't buy another. Back when I had these problems in the beginning, I read that some others also were having the same issues. That's why I finally just threw it away.

As there are tons of other LED flashlights that are brighter and cheaper than the LED version of the Scorpion, I figure that my scorpion light days are over...

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Skip it. I mounted it on a gun for a while a few years ago. The bulb kept falling out of the socket whenever I walked with my carbine hanging on the sling (as the rifle bounced while walking). No matter how many times I put it back and tried to bend the wires on the bulb (to put some extra tension to keep it from slipping out), it continued to do it.

I took it off the gun after a few times, but kept the light on my night stand until last year. Anytime the light dropped, the bulb kept coming out. I finally threw it away earlier this year. I'd had the thing since 96 or 97, so I figured I got my use out of it. And, I had bought it way back before there were all these LED lights.

I think replacement bulbs are like $6 or $7, but I wouldn't buy another. Back when I had these problems in the beginning, I read that some others also were having the same issues. That's why I finally just threw it away.

As there are tons of other LED flashlights that are brighter and cheaper than the LED version of the Scorpion, I figure that my scorpion light days are over...

Then I will forget the Scorpion Xenon for now (unless I can get one with super price!). Sometimes I may have to mount my flashlight(s) on my weapons too, so durability is a thought. I am a fan of xenon bulbs, and own more xenon lights than LED (target details are a necessity in our military missions). Recently, I was sampled with NexTorch xenon lights (hi-end chinese made) - T6A & GT6A-S - and used them in many of our firing engagements vs terrorists. To our surprise, these 2 models (xenon) performed excellently (flawless, if I may claim) on weapons, even dropped couple times from hip-level on both the asphalt and concrete roads. Still only 2 months of use (some 5+ heavy missions), so can't tell after long runs. Yes, today's LED are very powerful and cheap to maintain, like our other Fenix, Olight, EagleTac, SF, SL, Inova, Pelican, etc. We all prefer different brands, but SF G2 is a standard light supplied to our platoon. Many of us still put their lives on G2 nitrolon these days. For us, Counter-Terrorism & Crime Response squads, anything that can stand abuse, very functional, and cheap, is expected. We skip too-many-multiple modes. We need only Hi-Low-Strobe (hi in the range of 'true' 150-250 lumens OTF). Since xenon needs replacement bulb, welcome to LED of modern days :D

shipwreck

Enlightened
Well, I still have a Brinkmann Xenon light - it's a brand/model that has been carried by Wal-Mart and a few other stores here in the states. But, it's been discontinued in the past year because of the push for LEDs.

Anyway, I bought it for like $20 or so - and it's almost equal to the xenon Scorpion. The Scorpion had a slightly better shaped hotspot. But for the price, it was a great deal. I've also had no issues with it despite being dropped on the ground and being mounted on a weapon.

I had this mounted on one of my Carbines for a few years - until I put an Inova on it earlier this year. I've moved the Inova to my AUG, and now have an Eagletac T20C2 Mk II on my FN PS90 now.

Now, the Brinkman sits in the closet with all my other extra lights. But, since it works well, I plan to keep it. The only downside to those xenon lights is the 1hr battery life (give or take)

But, your job sure sounds interesting.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Well, I still have a Brinkmann Xenon light - it's a brand/model that has been carried by Wal-Mart and a few other stores here in the states. But, it's been discontinued in the past year because of the push for LEDs.

Anyway, I bought it for like $20 or so - and it's almost equal to the xenon Scorpion. The Scorpion had a slightly better shaped hotspot. But for the price, it was a great deal. I've also had no issues with it despite being dropped on the ground and being mounted on a weapon.

I had this mounted on one of my Carbines for a few years - until I put an Inova on it earlier this year. I've moved the Inova to my AUG, and now have an Eagletac T20C2 Mk II on my FN PS90 now.

Now, the Brinkman sits in the closet with all my other extra lights. But, since it works well, I plan to keep it. The only downside to those xenon lights is the 1hr battery life (give or take)

But, your job sure sounds interesting.

I heard also about the brinkman from the people here, but the xenon bulb might not be available in the longrun. We used Inova T2-MP mounted on a Tavor today. Too long, so we changed to NexTorch T6 (xenon) which is shorter. Works fine. My job sounds interesting, but life and death in many missions. Mostly by bike bombs, car bombs, or road bombs, so we scare at all of our missions these days. Life goes on :)