Looking to buy a Dereelight and need some suggestions

Bac0n Samm1ch

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a Dereelight DBS. I am trying to figure out what the difference between the SST-50 and the XP-G R5? I am looking for a good thrower, so which ever would be best suited for distance would be what I am looking for.

First time poster btw, I bought a Fenix ld20 and then was told about this site. I like all the information so far. :twothumbs

Anyhow, I am a newb about a lot of the technical terms still so take it easy on me!

Darvis

Enlightened
Hey newbie, welcome aboard. I have both configurations now and have to say that the SST-50 is light years better than the XP-G. In fact, I would have avoided the XP-G altogether had I known better, even the XR-E seemed to be a better thrower. My SST-50 is a Nailbender custom pill (LED) regulated to run on one 18650, but I hear that Dereelight uses the same driver and is a 3 level as well; translation: I think the Dereelight SST-50 will be a jam up light and smokes the XP-G in this configuration. I can tell you that my SST-50 DBS is a compact beast of a thrower and does a great job of focusing the beam of this LED- I also recommend the smooth reflector for the SST-50. If you've never had this type of deep reflector style light before, you be amazed at the amount of light that comes out of the front. Dereelight is a great non-USA brand, one of the best I think, and Jay at Flashcrazy is a great dealer to work with.

Good luck!

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
as Darvis said...i love the XP-G emitters but feel it falls well short of all the other DBS models. i ended up modifying my XP-G version to accept one of Nailbender's SST-50 pills a couple months before Dereelight released their own SST version. i also have the parts for the XR-E and MC-E setups and if i could choose only one then i would stick w/ the MC-E...even over the SST.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also have the parts for the XR-E and MC-E setups and if i could choose only one then i would stick w/ the MC-E...even over the SST.

Just curious as to why you favor the MC-E config (OP) over the SST-50 (SMO) in a DBS. I also have both and relegated the MC-E to a CL1Hv4 once I put a SST-50 (SMO) in my DBS.

Bac0n Samm1ch

Newly Enlightened
as Darvis said...i love the XP-G emitters but feel it falls well short of all the other DBS models. i ended up modifying my XP-G version to accept one of Nailbender's SST-50 pills a couple months before Dereelight released their own SST version. i also have the parts for the XR-E and MC-E setups and if i could choose only one then i would stick w/ the MC-E...even over the SST.

From the pictures at dereelights website, the MC-E looked to have more spill and not as much throw...Maybe the picture was misleading though

Which one is the better thrower? The MC-E or SST-50?

stallion2

Enlightened
Just curious as to why you favor the MC-E config (OP) over the SST-50 (SMO) in a DBS. I also have both and relegated the MC-E to a CL1Hv4 once I put a SST-50 (SMO) in my DBS.

my SST-50 is a 2.8A single-mode so not having one or two lower modes plays some part. the MC-E won't throw quite as far but its beam is more versatile and the tint is perfect. its easily the best long range beam i've seen made w/ an MC-E...that was until i saw the M3LT

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
my SST-50 is a 2.8A single-mode so not having one or two lower modes plays some part. the MC-E won't throw quite as far but its beam is more versatile and the tint is perfect. its easily the best long range beam i've seen made w/ an MC-E...that was until i saw the M3LT

Makes sense. Both of mine are 3-modes, but as you mentioned the MC-E does have a beautiful tint. For me, the DBS is optimized for an SMO & the SST-50 works so well with it...

Darvis

Enlightened
Agreed on the SST-50. Bac0n, go for the big 50, you will not be dissappointed.